2012 er6 in Chiang Mai yet?

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
I was in Kawasaki today and they didn't have many New Bikes of any model in Stock! They were very Busy though with Services and Crash repairs!!! All those Rental Bikes out there are going through this Shop! Pardon my ignorance but is there any difference between the 2011 & 2012 er6???

Maha

Oct 7, 2009
I was there on last Saturday and they had two 2012 er6n there. Photo attached, the 2012 model is a bit different looking from the 2011 model.

Attached files
273988=6888-031220112800-001.jpg

Apr 27, 2010
Many thanks,

Any word on the price?

Ian, the changes for all i know, are manly with the chassis, new frame and swing. The engine supposedly had some tweaks, don't know what they are though, maybe just ecu. And then there's the styling, it looks yummy!! :D

Dec 27, 2007
The new model comes with a one piece exhaust- headers welded to the can. Kind of a PITA when it comes to ditching the stock exhaust... It will be interesting to see what the aftermarket exhaust manufacturers come up with to mate their slip on's with that oversized expansion chamber.
2012ER6nExhstSSR.jpg

Stopped by the Rama 9 showroom a while back to check out the new 2012 ER6n and Ninja 650-
2012ER6nWhtRama9SSR.jpg

2012Ninja650Rama9SSR.jpg

Notice they dropped the "R" from the Ninja 650?
wink.gif

2012Ninja650NoRSSR.jpg

Price list confirmed:
2012PriceListSSR.jpg

The styling updates are nice, if that's your thing, but other than the new look I don't see much about the 2012 that's a noticeable improvement over the 2009-2011 models and there are a few things that bug me about the new models.

It sucks that the bike has gotten heavier- I imagine that's mostly due to the new exhaust which is reported to be even cleaner and quieter than the last model. (But the last model sounds like a constipated lawnmower with stock exhaust, so wonder what the new model will sound like? :shifty:

Still very basic suspension on the new model. Many had hoped for some pre-load and damping adjustability up front, but no, Kawasaki is still giving the most basic non adjustable forks as on the old model. Same basic shock on the rear too...

Brakes appear unchanged. They aren't the best, but get the job done. Better pads make a huge improvement.

Putting the ignition on the tank is just dumb IMO. It makes using a tank bag more difficult and it's required them to fashion a rather goofy looking top clamp in order for the steering lock to work:
2012Ninja650TopClampSSR.jpg

The plastic trim on the tank is going to make magnetic tank bags difficult to use with this bike-
2012Ninja650TankTrimSSR.jpg

Another little complaint- you know how the current model has trim panels that cover the bottom edge of the tank? Like this:
Ninja650R2010EbonySSR.jpg

Well, on the new model the bottom of the tank isn't covered, and at 5'10" with a 32" inseam that's right where the top of my knees end up when I'm sitting on the bike and it's not very comfortable...
2012ER6nWhtRHTankSSR.jpg

Also, on the bikes in the showroom the welds along the bottom seam of the tanks weren't terribly clean or smooth. First thing I'd do with one of these bikes is buy some automotive trim and cover those seams.

Minor complaints really. All in all good looking bikes and they should be just as fun and easy to ride as the previous generations.

Look forward to taking one for a spin soon!

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

Apr 27, 2010
Thanks for the insight.

Some surprising "updates" for sure.
One piece exhaust...? And that bottom of the tank looks really..... sloppy, imo.
Only 5000 up on the price is a positive surprise on the other hand. I'm looking forward to have a closer look..