2012 Honda NC700X

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
This bike doesn't look like a scooter; it has 17" wheels; it doesn't have a big windshield and much plastic like a scooter; the seating position is not like on a scooter.

Why would you call it a maxi scooter?

Because of the position of the tank? There are several bikes who don;t have the tank in the traditional place, for example the V-Max.

I agree that the bike will not be successful here if it's around 400,000 THB, but it will find a few buyers who prefer practicality over power.

But the basic version for 6,999 in the US is not a bad deal. The Sportster 883 costs the same, the Vespa GTV 300 is 6,899, the Yamaha Majesty 400 is 6,799 and the Yamaha WR 250 F is 6,899. Of course if you add the automatic package (which is also featured on the VFR1200) plus ABS then it gets expensive.

It doesn't matter how good or bad a car the Honda Jazz is - the NC700X has the same bore and stroke as the car engine, so what? There are cruiser engines with about the same bore and stroke. The Honda PR guys shouldn't have mentioned the car-connection and nobody would have been the wiser.

I recently sold my Honda Wave 125 and got me a Yamaha Nouvo 135 which has more storage space under the seat. I never would have thought that it would matter much but sometimes you only realize things when you experience them. And some storage can come in darn handy!

I guess it's the same with this bike - maybe you borrow it for a few days from a friend and realize that it makes a lot of sense even though it looks like a dud on paper.

Nov 7, 2007
Let's wait and see - 50hp and 229 kg sounds terrible but depending on the handling it could still be a good city scooter, err... bike.

I do like the helmet compartment - I think with all that plastic on my Versys, it wouldn't have killed them to add some storage to the thing. IMO just bad design they didn't.

I think it looks pretty nice too - I'd be sold if it had 100hp ;)

And I have heard from a super reliable source (random Thai person in a Cafe - can't be wrong) that this bike is going to be made in Thailand, 100%.

Jun 13, 2010
I do have a PGO G-MAX 150cc with a really big trunk.

I really enjoy it as a commuter but if I go for a ride its definitly boring.

I still dont see the point, especially in the price range, a G-MAX will cost you 64500THB.

Of course my G-MAX doesnt have 17 inches wheels....

For practicality I'll keep my scoot, for pleasure I'll go for a proper bike.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
...seperated at birth...

Attached files
275832=8232-honda_nc700x.jpg
275832=8231-penguin_1.jpg

Nov 7, 2007
Report from the BKK bike show: The NC700X will be (are you ready?) 451,000 Baht.

Another epic FAIL from yours truly APe Honda.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Is this is the price for the non-dual clutch/ABS version?

If that's the case, I agree - this penguin won't fly!

I said earlier: it all depends on the price.

You get some decent bikes for that kind of money.

Why don't they build it here and offer it for 251,000? Then it would have a chance.

Jun 13, 2010
They are just making the same mistake as with the DN-01 again.

Overpriced, undepowered and a niche market.

Still waiting on the price of the CRF250L tho :)

Dec 27, 2007
Fekkin' morons running the show at Honda these days...

I would like to nominate the Honda NC700 Integra as the world's ugliest bike for 2012
crazy.gif

395255_10151229634985710_508210709_22940839_1603276894_n.jpg

For the price of ONE of these atrocities you can get yourself a Kawi 650 road bike, a KLX 250 dirt bike and a scooter of your choice and still have change leftover :take-that:

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
How much is a legally imported Yamaha T-Max 500?

From what I hear here in Phuket (there are quite a few around for rent and some are privately owned) they're around 500 - 550K THB.

I don't like the seating position, would prefer the ugly Integra.

They really put a windscreen on it the size of Florida!!!

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Back to the X version, the only one of interest..

Here's a "road test" report, even though not much info about how the bike performs, but I like the first sentence:

"I know it's going to be difficult for traditional motorcyclists - especially young, traditional motorcyclists - to believe this, but there's more to motorcycling than speed."

The voice of reason...

Read more here: http://www.driving.ca/Road+test+2012+Honda+NC700/5831553/story.html

Dec 27, 2007
Captain_Slash;275992 wrote: No the Ducati Diavel wins that award hands down, thats one real ugly motherf***er

Says the guy who used to potter about on a Phantom?! :wtf:

Dec 27, 2007
KZ25;275995 wrote: How much is a legally imported Yamaha T-Max 500?

From what I hear here in Phuket (there are quite a few around for rent and some are privately owned) they're around 500 - 550K THB.

I don't like the seating position, would prefer the ugly Integra.

They really put a windscreen on it the size of Florida!!!

The T-Max ain't cheap in Thalind! 550k Baht from Yamaha Thailand. That's a joke of a price for a scoot that retails for $8590 (257k Baht) in the US. You can get them a lot cheaper via grey importers.

Dec 27, 2007
KZ25;275998 wrote: Back to the X version, the only one of interest..

Here's a "road test" report, even though not much info about how the bike performs, but I like the first sentence:

"I know it's going to be difficult for traditional motorcyclists - especially young, traditional motorcyclists - to believe this, but there's more to motorcycling than speed."

The voice of reason...

Read more here: http://www.driving.ca/Road+test+2012+Honda+NC700/5831553/story.html

Forgive me if I take a review written by a car magazine with a big grain of salt ;)

Other reviews, written by actual motorcycle magazines haven't been so friendly towards Honda's new NC700 scooter-bikes. They've been described as overweight, underpowered, and suffering from poor handling and weak suspension.

C'mon Honda! You can do better!!!

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
TonyBKK;276007 wrote: The T-Max ain't cheap in Thalind! 550k Baht from Yamaha Thailand. That's a joke of a price for a scoot that retails for $8590 (257k Baht) in the US. You can get them a lot cheaper via grey importers.

US prices have always been low, can't use them as an international yardstick.

Lots of people who prefer comfortable upright riding plus storage space are big fans of the T-Max, and in Europe big scooters are a fad. Since lots of riders wouldn't like to be seen on a scooter behind squaremeters of fiberglass but still would like to have most of the advantages of scooters, a scooter/street hybrid makes sense.
Personally I'd even take the Integra with bigger wheels and a bit more power and better fuel mileage over the T-Max and save money.

Dec 27, 2007
KZ25;276036 wrote: US prices have always been low, can't use them as an international yardstick.

Lots of people who prefer comfortable upright riding plus storage space are big fans of the T-Max, and in Europe big scooters are a fad. Since lots of riders wouldn't like to be seen on a scooter behind squaremeters of fiberglass but still would like to have most of the advantages of scooters, a scooter/street hybrid makes sense.
Personally I'd even take the Integra with bigger wheels and a bit more power and better fuel mileage over the T-Max and save money.

Maybe you can be the first buyer of a Honda NC700 Integra in Thailand! Look forward to hearing your impressions once you've ridden it.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
TonyBKK;276044 wrote: Maybe you can be the first buyer of a Honda NC700 Integra in Thailand! Look forward to hearing your impressions once you've ridden it.

Maybe - but probably won't.

If I had 400K to spend on a bike I'd definitely buy a different bike.

That doesn't keep me from talking about the the NC700X, or other bikes, and trends in motorcycling.

If BMW gets into scooters there must be something to it, like it or not.

Personally I am for more two-wheelers on the road; any kind, any size, any shape.

If cagers think about switching to bikes, or think about giving them a try, that's a good thing in my eyes.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
TonyBKK;276007 wrote: You can get them a lot cheaper via grey importers.
Yamaha must have read this and put some pressure on the government to shut down places like Red Baron... ;-)

Rookie

Jan 18, 2011
well, now it is available in Canada msrp 8999 +fright & pdi 695 + taxes 12% 10.857 tire levy and documentation fee over 11.000 $

findings I do like the upright riding style and fuel consumption 65 miles per gallon. I do not like fuel tank location and dual clutch finger shifting futures.

i was interested but pass..

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Captain_Slash;281774 wrote:
DSCF7080.jpg

I got a test ride on a manual 700X and was very impressed with it, I am 54 and not into racing around so its targeted at people like me, mpg is of far greater importance than mph to me.
This is not a fast bike but torquey and the lowest revving Honda I have ever been on with reports of 80 mpg or 28 kpl being achieved.
I didnt try it for top speed which is quoted as 115 mph 184 kph but the way is was revving 6000 rpm would be at that point
I reckon it would be a good & extremely economical touring machine for North Thailand & would not say no to one.
And yes you're right Slash: MPG is more important than MPH for me too. Ive hated spending 1,000 baht a day on fuel touring with the AT the last year or so.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
I like the concept of this bike. It has enough power for a conservative rider, supermoto-like suspension to deal with uneven surfaces, 17" wheels, and it is practical and good on gas. I'm in my 50s, too and practicality is getting more important to me; since I bought a Nouvo which has big storage under the seat and a hook to hang smaller bags I realized how unpractical my CBR150R is. Coming home from a trip through the countryside I wanted to buy a liter of milk and some bread but realized that I simply could not carry it without a backpack. I went home, parked the CBR and took the Nouvo to go shopping. Most sportbikes are unpractical, and many riders want more than just going fast.
If the Versys and the 700X would sell for the same price I'd take the Honda. The Kawasaki is stronger, faster and looks a bit better (both bikes are no beauties!) but the Honda is fast enough. Saving money on gas and carrying my daypack under a lid are more important to me.
Honda should extend its line and build a smaller version, maybe with 400cc, for a lower price. The fact that Yamaha's T-Max sells well shows that older riders are looking for more comfortable and practical rides.

cm das

Feb 8, 2006
Captain_Slash;281774 wrote:
mpg is of far greater importance than mph to me.
Nicely put. I agree & I'm only 43. You know, I've been reading up about this bike & it seems that all the people who've actually ridden it only have good things to say about it. It's the people who only look at the specs who are the ones bashing it. The price here in Thailand warrants some bashing but that's a different story.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
In the last few years several parallel twins appeared with a 270* crank, like Yamaha's TDM 900 and Triumph's 1600cc cruiser. I like the idea of a compact engine but with a "Ducati" sound.

Colin, since you rode the 700X, how was the sound/feel of the engine - like the parallel twin it is or more like a 90 degree twin because of the 270* crank?

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
One of the strong points of the Japanese is to figure things out, making existing things better, smaller, cheaper and more reliable. To build a parallel twin and then use a 270 degree crank is ingeniuous! The parallel twin is more compact, lighter, cheaper to build and can be used for better weight distribution. By using the 270* crank you have all the advantages of a 90* V-twin.
With the right exhaust the NC700 series should sound quite cool, their long-stroke engines running 3,000 rpm at 100km/h...

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
[/QUOTE=Captain_Slash;281774]
DSCF7080.jpg

I got a test ride on a manual 700X and was very impressed with it, I am 54 and not into racing around so its targeted at people like me, mpg is of far greater importance than mph to me.
This is not a fast bike but torquey and the lowest revving Honda I have ever been on with reports of 80 mpg or 28 kpl being achieved.
I didnt try it for top speed which is quoted as 115 mph 184 kph but the way is was revving 6000 rpm would be at that point
Davidfl;281778 wrote: I reckon it would be a good & extremely economical touring machine for North Thailand & would not say no to one.
And yes you're right Slash: MPG is more important than MPH for me too. Ive hated spending 1,000 baht a day on fuel touring with the AT the last year or so.
Slash
What's the engine braking like. It's pretty pathetic on the Versys compared to the old v-twin Africa TWin.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Came across this video of the NC700X and was surprised to see that it has an automatic like a car, 5 gears, I guess. For some reason I assumed it would have the Variomatic (CVT) like the T-Max has, and the smaller scooters. But it starts in first and then shifts, there's even a kickdown function, making it go quite well. Watching the speedo go from 70 to 120 km/h in a few seconds - that's fast enough for me! Also the sound is cool; it sounds more like an old BMW airhead than a parallel twin.
I'm very interested!