6 Days of Splendour….

ianyonok

Subscribed
Dec 9, 2008
I was laying up at the Viang after completing the hard rock summer tour with Jameson Raid. My curvaceous honey, Persephone the PRS, was looking sexy on the stand in the corner, taking a break from me.
Ork Pansa had passed and the mercury was dropping, it was time to hit the road. As the sun crossed the zenith, three pale riders booted their steeds into life. We roared out the Viang, dogs and cats scarpering for cover. We were headed for the mountains of Lanchang. We knew the trail would be tough, but our British (Indian) steel steeds were tougher.

maskedpaleriders.jpg

The King’s men scanned our papers at the river, then the sen yai with the stripes added his moniker. Leaning back in his chair, he looked over his pince-nez and gave us a smile.

HoayXaiweekendtrafficjam.jpg

Truckers in line after the southwest run from China.

HouayXai.jpg

Morning prep over the river

LandofBeerLao.jpg

In the land of the Beer Lao people

smoooothroads.jpg

A smooth trail, the road to China

Notsosmoooothroads.jpg

Not so smooth, the trail out east. A nail in rear boot delayed the game ten minutes. Easy fix on a QD rear classic steed.

chillywx.jpg

Northern climes…. kooooooool.

chickenonastring.jpg

Back of the guesthouse, this bird was hanging by a string round the neck, flapping away for 15 minutes before strangling to death. 10 minutes after this shot, it was plucked and ready for the pot.

happywithsimplelife.jpg

Simple life

bahnkaliang.jpg

Concrete abodes haven’t arrived here yet

weirdlicquor.jpg

Strange brews…

weirdlicquor2.jpg

Bee liquor anyone..?

lunch.jpg

The deer steak looked tough and boiled eel with fried salad wouldn’t fill our bellies, so we stuck with tried and trusted kuoay teaow

oldlp1.jpg

Old Luang Prabang was pretty as a postcard

oldlp2.jpg

oldlp3.jpg

outoflp.jpg

Time to ride THE motorbike road of Asia; highway 13 south.

longwindingroad.jpg

A bikers joy

longwindingroad2.jpg

Living the dream… incredible roads, wonderful scenery, perfect weather, great bikes….. what else do you really need….

Phonsavanweapons.jpg

Sobering weapons of destruction out east

jars1.jpg

Stone jars lying enigmatic on the plain

jars2.jpg

1000 years or so ago, the fruit of unknown peoples labours.

jars3.jpg

Brave and good people

powersupply.jpg

Hydroelectric power…village style

corngrind.jpg

Mother and daughter fashions - 21st century

corngrind2.jpg

The lovely lady clearly needed some help…. Mum and Dad weren’t sure we were doing it right….

children.jpg

The children of the chao kaow greet our arrival in town

children2.jpg

Well off kiddies…. shoes, clothes and clean faces

kitchen.jpg

A friendly roadhouse

mountains.jpg

Ohh…. those mountains

mountains3.jpg

Landscapes of surrealism

mountains4.jpg

Back on the plains, then back to the homeland.

Stats;
3 guys, 3 Enfield 500 Bullets, 3 x 1500 klms, 6 days, altitude 300–1500m, 1 flat tyre, 3 happy riders.......... :D :lol:

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Ian,

Beautiful pictures of a great ride on the old and equally beautiful bikes.

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
An enjoyable report about the "Land of Million Joys". I am reading it in a GH in Luang Nam Tha with a beer Lao. Hope that you did not leave the nail on the road :)

Jurgen

May 5, 2010
Really nice photos :smile1: :thumbup: - I think I was in LP about the same time as I saw a single Enfield parked up - nice 5 speed box, front disc and electric start make these bikes a lot more enjoyable - great way to enjoy Laos and its people - must get mine shipped over there :shh: .

IMGP0031-1.jpg

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Ian, nice report and stunning scenery !!! Sure you enjoyed this trip especially on your old/new thumpers !!! Laos really is the pearl of SEA. Cheers, Franz