A Loop Taking In The Big Bamboo Bridge And The Kaeng Lin Rapids South East Of Xepon.

Discussion in 'Laos Road Trip Reports' started by Moto-Rex, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Moto-Rex

Moto-Rex Ol'Timer

A loop taking in the big bamboo bridge and the Kaeng Lin Rapids south east of Xepon.

A good little loop you can do while riding between Xepon and Salavan, or as an out and back ride out of Xepon as I did.

After seeing the Bamboo bridge and Kaeng Lin Rapids last year in the dyer months, I decided I wanted to see what they would look like in the wet season. So off I went.

The Way.
    [​IMG]

Sharing the track with the local timber merchants just after turning off the main Dong to Nong road.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Village life in the land of Laos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a nice spot to wash the mud of my boots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great riding through here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really good tracks in this area. You can cruise along at a good pace, with plenty of mud, ruts and rivers to keep up on your toes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the kind of trails us old dirt riders love.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I arrived at the Kaeng Lin Rapids, and the water wasn’t pumping like I thought it may have been. It was the start of the wet season, so perhaps I was a bit early.
    [​IMG]

This is what the rapids look like from space. Googles big drone.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It’s a pretty awesome sight although my little camera doesn’t show just how impressive it is.

[​IMG]

I reckon in the middle of the wet season this would look and sound amazing.
    [​IMG]

On the way to the Bamboo bridge I came across these real Lao adventure riders.
    [​IMG]

You reckon you need a flash “Adventure bike” to get around Laos. Yeh right…Tell it to these two young ladies.
    [​IMG]

When you see this bridge for the first time you get goose bumps. Its spectacular.
    [​IMG]

The bridge is looking a little run down since I was here last year. As you can see the safety rail is missing in some spots.
    [​IMG]

Now that’s what I call art.
    [​IMG]

I rode across the bridge to the village on the other side of the river. These two kids looked shocked to see a person dressed up like a spaceman in there village.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a laugh with the locals it was back over the bridge.
    [​IMG]

The spaceman, in a miss timed selfie.
    [​IMG]

Just love this bridge. IMO this is the number one must see in Laos.
    [​IMG]

I rode into Nong after being lost for an hour or so, and while looking for a place to eat I noticed the Phet Lam Gneune Guest house and its array of war time souvenirs.
    [​IMG]

I didn’t stay here as I was heading back to the bright lights of Xepon, but it did look like a nice guest house. One to remember.
    [​IMG]

I was starting to worry if there was going to be any fuel left for me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having a laugh with these little kids in Nong before heading up the road back to Xepon..
    [​IMG]

There is so many tracks in and around Nong. All great riding, although its so easy to get lost..but then again, I still get lost in Chiang Mai.

You’ve got to see this bridge before it disappears.

Short video clip on the way.

Moto Rex

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    DavidFL likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. brian_bkk

brian_bkk Ol'Timer Staff Member

Nice one Rexy.. Ripper.

Cheers
    Brian

4. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for this one.
    That bamboo bridge really is something & famous now.
    Funny how it's got such a reputation & how its on the off-road fans radar big time now.
    It will be a sad day when it goes.

I like these two shots
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

what a work of art!