A night in Soppong (Pang Mapha)

Jul 25, 2010
A bunch of like minded folk took a spin up to Vana Luang, just past Pai, to see the Red Lahu (Lahu Nyi) New Year celebrations.
Excellent crew, loads of laughs and plenty of differing riding styles and bikes ranging from a Ducati Multistrada to a D-Tracker.
First stop was to let people like me catch up
web.jpg

The ladies were happy. I think they had already figured out what food to order on arrival...
web.jpg

We came to the Soppong River Inn mid afternoon and what a top spot, despite a small glitch in the COLD beer dept. Soon sorted......more or less by the the most hospitable proprietor, Khun Joy
web.jpg

And the ladies found what they needed. Food? More beer by the look of it
web.jpg

Lovely terrace at the back overlooking the river
web.jpg

And a good safe parking spot
web.jpg

After dinns we went up to the village to check out what was going on and landed straight into the restaurant, well stocked with cold beer
web.jpg

Met some new friends
web.jpg

and the kitchen was running hot
web.jpg

The centre piece of the celebrations to come, complete with pigs heads and lots of goodies
web.jpg

and the lads taking a break from trying to blow everyone/thing up with any thing that makes a very loud bang:!:
web.jpg

web.jpg

aided by some helpful adult assistance
web.jpg

even the young gals were exploding fireworks in between putting the lippy on
web.jpg

Concerned juniors listening to a lecture by Khun Boo on 'why its not so good to blow up restaurants' on the basis that someone may get hurt, after half a stick of something thunderous exploded under her table. Well, education has to start at a young age after all
web.jpg

But then the dancers started to arrive after going around the houses paying respects to those Elders who, as yet, had not been blown up
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

and slowly but surely the show began
web.jpg

Building up a head of steam
web.jpg

and the pipers came to add to the momentum
web.jpg

and more and more joined in. They had the whole night to go with the celebrations as apparently, the dancing goes on until dawn
web.jpg

Tired and exhausted by all the frivolity, we retired to the local karaoke bar for refreshments
web.jpg

but still plenty of action
web.jpg

but microphones were in short supply and so improvisations had to be made
web.jpg

The home trip to CNX called for different levels of riding skills and hangovers to gather together as they saw fit and head home as and when they pleased. We stopped off at a new little coffee shop/resturant in Papae where a stonking latte was served.
web.jpg

A great fun couple of days all in all. Thanks to all who were there for making the ride and evening so enjoyable. I am sure other participants have better pictures and stories to add to this, so bring them on.....

Oct 11, 2009
Good story and photos. I stopped at the Inn 2 years ago so it bought back very good memories I ended up in local bar with Thai army and teachers on vacation and Karaoko and whisky so the hangover I shared.

safe riding

Paul