advice on bike buying in Thailand

Mar 11, 2007
Hi,
I'm looking for a bike to cruise around Thailand, Cambodia and Laos for a month or 2. Would prefer a used 200 to 250 cc non-sport bike (for a small/medium-sized female--by European standards). I am currently in Bangkok and finding the pickings pretty slim for that size range. Also not sure how I will sell it when I am done.
Does anyone have any suggestions on who might be good to contact? I hear that Chiang Mai might be a better location.
Will some of the rental companies entertain a sell/buy-back option?
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks!

Jan 19, 2007
YOU ARE LIMITED IN THAILAND, THE PROBLEM WITH ANYTHING OVER 200 CC IN IS THAT IT WILL BE A GREY IMPORT AND AS SUCH IT PUSHES THE PRICE RIGHT UP AS REGISTRATION CAN BE 60000 BAHT,, IF YOU ARE NOT GOING OFF ROAD AND NOT 2 UP ON THE BIKE A SONIC 125 WOULD DO THE JOB AND DEPRECIATION WOULD BE NEGLIGABLE,I RECKON YOU WOULD ONLY LOSE AROUND 5000 BAHT ON A NEW ONE AND LESS ON A SECONDHAND, IF YOU WANT BIGGER LOOK FOR A YAMAHA SEROW 225CC ( AND IT WILL BE ELECTRIC START ) OR AN XR250L, ITS ALL ABOUT BUDGET REALLY, GOOD LUCK

Chino

Dec 8, 2006
Hi Global,
Just bought a Honda 400 CB in BKK. Saw some 200 bikes too. What's your size (cm) and budget? I'm not that tall either, so Thailand is the place to find suitable bikes.Get one with legal book and plate though.
I found mine with the help of a good Thai friend, who knows everything on buying a used bike here.
Selling it would not be too hard, since there are many small and big shops in Bangkok.

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
Forget the new ones if you are going to travel to Cambodia and Laos. You will not be allowed to leave the country with a temporary red plate and it is better that the green book is in your name. When you register the bike in your name at the Land&Transport Office pls ask for an international border passing book. It just costs you a few 100 Baht and can be useful. You can easily find a bike in Bangkok but the distances between the shops are long. Probably it is more easy to come to here in Pattaya, here is plenty of shops with a good range of bikes and all can be reached in 5 minutes. If you need help here I can help you and I know many other people who can give you some help. HIKO

Jan 19, 2007
hiko is right, you will probably buy something you didnt really want or just give up in bangkok as the shops arent close to each other and with the language difference and the heat you will probably give up due to frustration, pattaya is worth a visit or again if you are basing yourself at chang mai a long term rental will work

Mar 11, 2007
Thanks all for the prompt replies!

I have already spent a couple of days running around Bangkok and it's not so pleasant. I will likely head north and try my luck in a smaller centre and talk with some rental shops.

Cheers!