advice on Tha Li (Thai) - Namheung (Laos) crossing

Jul 10, 2014
Hi,

I will be crossing into Laos in about 2 days on the Tha Li / Namhueng bridge. I've got all my paperwork in order.

Can anyone please advise on places to stay and eat in the Namhueng area (or just outside of it)? I'd like to overnight in that vicinity for 1 night.

Also, any suggested routes from Namhueng to downtown Vientiane?

I'll have my GPS with me loaded with Laos maps, but just wondering if anyone has any first-hand experience with the route.

Thanks much!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
You can read this thread
GT-Rider Mekong Cruise Part III
about crossing the Tha Li / Kenthao border in May 2014.

There will be some accommodation in Kenthao about 7 kms from the border.
For the roads you need to look at a GTR Laos guide map, to see the big picture - 250 baht well spent.
There's a dirt road along the Khong into Vientiane, but at this time of the year it sure will be wet ' greasy 'n muddy.
If that's what you're looking for - enjoy.
If not then you need to ride up to Xayabouly, then you have a few options
1. Continue onto Luang Prabang,
2. Continue onto Hongsa & enter Thailand at Huay Kon
3. Continue onto Muang Nan, then take the new Kasi short cut road down to Vang Vieng & Vientiane.
4. Another option maybe the new Phu Du border crossing from out of Muang Phiang; that may or may not be fully open to foreigners yet.
Whatever let us know how you go.

ACCOMMODATION

Pak Lay
Pak Lay - Accommodation

Xayabouly - Sayaboury
Sayabouly - Xayaboury Accommodation

Vientiane
Vientiane Accommodation

RESTAURANTS

Xayabouly
Sayabouly - Xayaboury Restaurants

Vientiane
Vientiane Restaurants

Hope this is a help.
Enjoy the ride & trip. Remember things move slow in Lao - Lao PDR = People Dont Rush.
Have a beer Lao or two for me.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2014
Great! Thanks for the invaluable information. I'll consider the options you mention. The Khong route doesn't sound that fun this time of year, but it's what I was considering until you mentioned the road conditions. I'll arrive in Kenthao on July 24th. Just need to make sure I get to Vientiane by the 27th. Which ever route makes that the most realistic is the route I will likely take.

Jul 10, 2014
I'm actually considering that. It probably makes a lot better sense to do it that way. My time constraint is to be in Vientiane on the 27th to the 29th for the visa. On the way back I can take my time...or rather I can let Laos take its time with me. :)

Jul 10, 2014
So disappointed. I had everything together and was crossing into Laos from Nong Khai today. I had all my documentation ready. But only copies, including my green book. I'd always been told not to keep the real green book in the bike.

They wouldn't let me cross with just a copy of the green book. Is it true the actual green book is really needed or was I just given a hard time? Anyway I had to park my bike in a secured parking lot near the bridge and then take the bus over the bridge.

I guess this will just be a visa run and no adventure in Laos. I'll have to make up for it on my ride back through Thailand to Chiang Mai.

I'm clearly inexperienced...if anyone knows of any group tours through Laos let me know.

Thanks.

Mar 30, 2010
kwaamkit;300725 wrote: So disappointed. I had everything together and was crossing into Laos from Nong Khai today. I had all my documentation ready. But only copies, including my green book. I'd always been told not to keep the real green book in the bike.

They wouldn't let me cross with just a copy of the green book. Is it true the actual green book is really needed or was I just given a hard time? Anyway I had to park my bike in a secured parking lot near the bridge and then take the bus over the bridge.

I guess this will just be a visa run and no adventure in Laos. I'll have to make up for it on my ride back through Thailand to Chiang Mai.

I'm clearly inexperienced...if anyone knows of any group tours through Laos let me know.

Thanks.
That certainly is a bummer and a bad start to your trip.

You do need the original green book.. Copies are only for the officialdom.

Get the green book and have another bash :)

Cheers
Brian

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Damn. That's bad luck, but yeah only originals count at the border. Too many doctored photocopies - so easy.
In Vientiane you can rent a bike, but the bike has to come back to the shop + your passport will be at the embassy for a visa.

Power On. sent from Sony Xperia AcroS

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Kc - sure the bridge is open 7 days a week. It will probably cost you a small fee to ride across though. Good luck & please let us know how you go.

Power On. sent from Sony Xperia AcroS

Oct 6, 2013
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Hi David,

Thanks.
When I arrive about 11.00am, what a quiet day. I'm the only one wanted to cross the bridge.
Oh yes, manage to cross back smoothly from Laos side provided I have to pay 1000 baht to the imagination officer to drive his pick up truck and guide me, and the custom also ask for some lunch fee, what a joke.
Back to Thai side... Everyone here just want to get some coffee money in order to get thing moving. The dollars sign do all the magic, total fee spent 1475.00 baht for about half and hour time....:evil: anyway good experience.

Mar 30, 2010
Do you have more details on where to get the certified copies approved?

Sounds like a great alternative to carrying the green book.

Cheers
Brian

Apr 2, 2008
Phuket
www.bmwoverlander.com
brian_bkk;305230 wrote: Do you have more details on where to get the certified copies approved?

Sounds like a great alternative to carrying the green book.

Cheers
Brian

Just go to any nearby Commissioner for Oaths and they will stamp it for you.

Another way, if green book is still with finance company ask them to write a letter permitting exit out of the country from this to that date. And in process they will verify your green book copy too. It is standard procedure.