Any other ways to avoid theft?
You could try this.........

STWilf.jpg

Also, you have the bonus of a faithful travelling partner and a fanny magnet :D

Cheers,

Pikey.

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
Sure Harry, in Paris bamboos don't grow you know!

Cool partner Pikey! What about his helmet?

Cheers,
Gobs

Aug 7, 2003
Got a St Bernard at home, excellent guard dog, but at 65 Kgs can't teach her to sit on any of my bikes, she knocked the VRF800 over once being excited that I was home. True to form she hates Thais on scooters, when she was small got hit by a Tuk Tuk, don't know who got off worse.

Tried to get a car ignition coil hooked up to a fine steel mesh on the hand grips, it needs a reasonable size capacitor and gives enough of a whack to deter anyone from trying to hold onto the bars. Heard that a electric fence controller is good. Really looking for something practical, but don't wan't to kill anyone. Immobilisers are no good.

Max

Sep 13, 2008
I have recently heard from Tony of “Tony’s Big Bikes” here in Chiang Mai that he had 5 bikes stolen by an x-employee, along with 3 months of utility bill payments for two shops, and all of the deposits on hand from rentals. She also deleted all data on the computer before skipping out. Also she would have got an unknown amount from rentals which she did not document.

Her name is:

Mrs.Chidapha Chantawaree,
born 2 Aug 1974,
Thai ID number 3-1020-01258-22-8

She had access to all the keys and had manipulated paperwork, all in Thai, to have transfer papers in her name. Police could do nothing about the bikes. A second, and possible third individual would steal the bikes, one occurring in front of the Bier Stube in the middle of the afternoon. When she left, she had access to all of the green books which were missing when she didn’t return from her day off. Estimated take, known, approx 250,000 Baht

All of this can be confirmed with Tony or Jeff.

She also had access to my keys on both bikes, as I had left them when work was being preformed, plus she had my address.

She has now been gone about a month. Bikes began disappearing about three months ago from Tony's.

She speaks good English, and is from the Bangkok area. She almost certainly will be looking for a similar situation, working for a foreigner.

Keep a look out.

Oct 17, 2006
I had a Harley 1340 stolen in London years ago which was chained to a Goldwing and a railing ,The thieves used a truck with a HIAB crane to lift both bikes at once and were away in less than 2 minutes all recorded on CCTV but both bikes never recovered.

Apr 20, 2009
Max wrote: I have recently heard from Tony of “Tony’s Big Bikes” here in Chiang Mai that he had 5 bikes stolen by an x-employee, along with 3 months of utility bill payments for two shops, and all of the deposits on hand from rentals. She also deleted all data on the computer before skipping out. Also she would have got an unknown amount from rentals which she did not document.

Her name is:

born 2 Aug 1974,

She had access to all the keys and had manipulated paperwork, all in Thai, to have transfer papers in her name. Police could do nothing about the bikes. A second, and possible third individual would steal the bikes, one occurring in front of the Bier Stube in the middle of the afternoon. When she left, she had access to all of the green books which were missing when she didn’t return from her day off. Estimated take, known, approx 250,000 Baht

She also had access to my keys on both bikes, as I had left them when work was being preformed, plus she had my address.

She has now been gone about a month. Bikes began disappearing about three months ago from Tony's.

She speaks good English, and is from the Bangkok area. She almost certainly will be looking for a similar situation, working for a foreigner.

Keep a look out.
Wow, unbelievable. Thanks for the update. It looks like it was no coincidence that you were victimized repeatedly.

And the lesson I guess is to always lock your bike, and when you give the key to a mechanic (or anybody for that matter) make sure you only give them the bike key and not the key to your house, disc lock, etc...

Here is how I lock my bike in my apartment building. The building is gated and has 24hr security, but you can never trust that.

cimg3808.jpg

I bought about 2 meters of the heaviest chain I could find at HomePro and the heaviest padlock they had. Later I bought some fabric at Warorot Market and had the seamstress across the street from me sew it into a 3 meter tube to fit over the chain and protect my wheel. Total cost about 800 baht.

cimg3806.jpg

I also put a Xena disc lock on my front disc. It's expensive, but well worth it. It has a motion alarm, which also keeps the Thais in my building from climbing on my bike all the time. The first week I had it it was going off all the time, but pretty soon everyone in the building quit messing with my bike.

cimg3807z.jpg

The chain and disc lock help me sleep a little better at night, but they are too heavy and bulky to carry around, so I have a smaller, cheaper Xena lock that I carry around with me when riding. It's much lighter and fits in my pocket or under the seat, but it's not as good as the full sized one. It wouldn't help much against 4 guys with a pickup truck and poles, but it does have a motion alarm. Very shrill and loud.

cimg3809c.jpg

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Max wrote: I have recently heard from Tony of “Tony’s Big Bikes” here in Chiang Mai that he had 5 bikes stolen by an x-employee, along with 3 months of utility bill payments for two shops, and all of the deposits on hand from rentals. She also deleted all data on the computer before skipping out. Also she would have got an unknown amount from rentals which she did not document.

Her name is:

born 2 Aug 1974,

Keep a look out.
Max, thanks for the post but there are a few things I would like to put right so as me and Tony don't look completely stupid (though we were because being Farang, we possess that unsusal characteristic called "trust" ;-) )

The toll was:

5 small bikes, two months worth of water, phone & internet bills but no undocumented rental incomes as checks were performed nightly. The way she did it was falsify rental agreements, typically for long term using a tour company that we previously partnered with, as the customer. This meant we would see a contract, a sealed envelope carrying our required deposit amount for the bike plus a copy of the customer's passport which turned out to be a re-used one from a previous legit rental.

I don't know where the hell the figure of 250,000 THB came from but it was no where near that amount and as far as we can ascertain, all this nefarious activity happened in the month from mid-May to mid-June. Also, I do not believe that the theft from the Bier Stube was down to her or the theft of your bikes as she did not have access to any of the paperwork to sell these bikes on.

I appreciate you bringing this out into the open but please clarify the points with all parties involved before posting such info.

If I read this it could be mis-construed that we are not a 100% legit shop and nothing is further from the truth. We have been trading successfully for a number of years and have many, many happy, repeat customers and are recommended by Lonely Planet. We were just unfortunate and got complacent with an employee who had worked for us for over a year and hadn't given us any previous cause for concern.

This is my one and only post on this. I will not answer any PMs on the subject, nor will I discuss with visitors to the shop. As far as I am concerned, it's a case of "live and learn" and we need to move on.

BTW, we are in the market for any reasonably priced Waves, Dreams, Automatics and I willanswer PMs to any offered!

Thanks for reading,

Pikey.