Aussie Lost In the Jungle Survivor

Discussion in 'Laos - General Discussion Forum' started by DavidFL, Aug 27, 2008.

1. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

Apologies again for this one, non motorcycle related report, but I find it an incredible story. Tad Sanam waterfall is only a couple of kms off the main road!

The original news report I saw
    The latest news report

An incredible story of survival

What a fighter & survivor...
  2. Loading...

3. jimoi

jimoi Ol'Timer

It should be noted that this man decided against taking a local guide on his trek. If he was only going to the first waterfall, no problem but he wanted to get to the second which is quite a distance away from the one nearest the road. Local reports indicate he was suggested to take a local guide ( I think they cost about US $ 3) and he declined.

When you ignore the advice from Locals because you know better, it's a risk you take. I've mercy and sympathy for the plight of the tourist but at the same time this was happening, major parts of Laos were flooded or under threat of flood. His article made the papers and internet but the hundreds of people who lost or had their homes and businesses damaged extensively during the lost Aussie boy's adventure didn't make the news. I'm sure the 10,000 plus USD spent to rescue the lost man was worth it. Perspective.
  4. Moto-Rex

Moto-Rex Ol'Timer

I would be interested to know from Jimoi, David or anyone for that matter, just what type of wild animals lurk in the Lao jungle that would attack a bloke minding he’s own business, in particular the size and aggressiveness the lizards.

CRIKEY. :shock:
  5. SilverhawkUSA

SilverhawkUSA Ol'Timer

Yeah, I was a little surprised no one questioned this before. I have never seen anything that threatening in my times in the jungle, but then again, I guess walking a long distance may be quite different from riding. :?
  6. jimoi

jimoi Ol'Timer

Lions and Tigers and Bears - Oh My!
    Now maybe in Lak Xao where there are those 2 legged lizards but perhaps he had a flashback due to drugs from years ago and, well you know. Chased by lizards, yeah right.

I'd say the biggest problem would have been the wild monkey population, the big size geckos, snakes and on the off chance, a dog. Then again, the scent of death on any animal big or small brings out the natural cleaners of the world to have a bite and keep eco-adventures just that.

I looked over some notes of mine for that area and have a check on mobile coverage at the first waterfall, not so sure about the second but it is a higher elevation.

I'd say if local wildlife was nibbling at this unfortunate fellow, he should have been able to bite back and enjoy local flavors. This should make a good made for TV movie, my cat will audition for the local wildlife position, he's pretty fierce.
  7. Poompui

Poompui Ol'Timer

His story,as dramatised by the ABC .......

Old news,but I wonder how many people know how easy it is to walk off a trail and be lost within minutes?
    Did it when I was a kid,but was lucky to find another trail which led me back to our campsite.
  8. brian_bkk

brian_bkk Ol'Timer

Thanks for bringing this thread up.. Had never seen it before.

Will watch the Youtube clip tonight.

It is rather funny isn't it.. How the you go from ABC (Gov't owned) slightly sensational reporting.
    To Sydney Morning Herald... Fairfax media, sensational as you can get reporting to sell papers..

If we read the quote from the nurse.. Looks about right.. The rest... the more a story is told.. The bigger it gets..

"Earlier this week, a nurse at the Bangkok hospital where Mr Adcock is undergoing treatment, said he was suffering from sepsis, or blood poisoning, and skin infections from the many scrapes and cuts he received during his ordeal. "
  9. brian_bkk

brian_bkk Ol'Timer

Good find Poompui.

Just watched the hour long dramatisation.
    Certainly got himself in to trouble.

Good to see the Australian Ambassador show appreciation and recognition for the effort of the Lao villages.
    Carrying him out on a stretcher down the steep ravine.. Also actual footage from the rescue in the video.

10. ianyonok

ianyonok Ol'Timer

Interesting story.

Years ago, I got completely lost in Kao Yai National Park, for about an hour. Usual story, path gets smaller till it disappears. Yes, very easy.....
    I came across a fair size bear which made me stop and wait a while. But then he ran off when he saw me.
    In Phu Luang National Park, Loei, camping is not allowed due to the 300 approx wild elephants.
  11. Poompui

Poompui Ol'Timer

Just wondering,here in Oz we can call in an emergency 112 on our mobile phone and it will pick up the signal from any mobile matter which phone company you have your service with.Anybody know if this is the case in Thailand/Laos too?
    Be handy to know if you get into trouble,as I know a few guys who ride alone in isolated areas.
    Hoping to be one of them soon....
    :happy4: :)
  12. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Ol'Timer

Just watched the show about this fellows ordeal- wow, he's so lucky to be alive!

Talk about wandering into the jungle unprepared! No food, no knife, no poncho, no lighter, no nothing!

A heartwarming tale of survival and a good reminder to take some basic precautions and carry some basic gear before you wander off in the jungle alone.

And mad respect to the Aussie embassy without which this fellow would never have been found. If this happened to me I'm pretty sure the US embassy wouldn't do a thing...