BE AWARE NEW TOUGHER DRINK DRIVE LAW 9 july 2012

Oct 17, 2006
Occupants of vehicles of any kind who drink alcohol during travel are now subject to six months imprisonment and/or a Bt60,000 fine, the Office of Alcoholic Beverages announced yesterday.

The penalties will also be imposed on drinkers in vehicles parked on sidewalks or shoulders of public roads, including sois, regardless of whether the vehicles are moving, OAB director Samarn Footrakool said.

That includes passangers not just the driver!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 7, 2007
monsterman;281450 wrote: Occupants of vehicles of any kind who drink alcohol during travel are now subject to six months imprisonment and/or a Bt60,000 fine, the Office of Alcoholic Beverages announced yesterday.

The penalties will also be imposed on drinkers in vehicles parked on sidewalks or shoulders of public roads, including sois, regardless of whether the vehicles are moving, OAB director Samarn Footrakool said.

That includes passangers not just the driver!!!!!!!!!!

Where i live i guess we will soon see no scooterists, songteaws, mocy-taxi's or police on roads anymore ...the restaurants and bars will have to close since the guests can no longer find a transport back home .... gonna be fun to see. Lucky my beersupplies are next door and am alright to drink it at home :)

Oct 17, 2006
My friend Lee was busted the other night in Naklua for DD and he was in back of the car driven by another Farang all 4 occupants had to pay 3000baht each tea money as all failed breath test !!!!!!
regular police checks around Pattaya after midnight for DD now .

Aug 3, 2012
Does this mean "Drinking in the vehicle" or "Driving under the influence" or "Being in control of a vehicle after consuming any quantity of alcohol"? Raises more questions than answers!
Cheers,
Ahwen

Oct 17, 2006
According to the wording of the new law as published in BKK Post and Nation and according to my wife same in Thai papers , just drinking in the vehicle even if parked is illegal even for the passengers not only the driver...its a Bonanza for police tea money but it may save a few lives?????

Aug 13, 2009
Would be helpful to read the exact wording. There must be a legal way home after an outing downtown :). If I'm forced to spend the night in a GH, I have a serious problem at home .... but then again, if the law offers an excuse.

BKK Post: Two Prime Minister's Office announcements - one banning drinking of alcoholic beverages in vehicles and the other banning sales and drinking of alcohol in factories - have been published in the Royal Gazette and were effective from today, Aug 8.

Nation: Occupants of vehicles of any kind who drink alcohol during travel are now subject to six months imprisonment and/or a Bt60,000 fine, the Office of Alcoholic Beverages announced yesterday.

Passengers of railbased transport who drink are not subject to the penalties, which took effect on Wednesday. Drinking occupants and drivers will be equally liable for such violations. "The only exceptions under this law are occupants of vehicles parked in front of their homes," he said.

Stop Drink Foundation director Theera Watcharapranee said the law would be helpful in reducing road accident casualties associated with drunk driving, but a limit or restriction on sales of alcohol during long holiday breaks would be more supportive of the law. New restrictions on consumption and sale of alcohol in factories will take effect 90 days from Monday's endorsement of a separate law.

Based on this you would be still allowed to drive home a bunch of party-goers, provided the driver/rider is below 0.05, isn't it?

It seems the ban is aimed at the parties (based around the infrastructure of a car) at prominent excursion points - thus protecting the local restaurant business.

Aug 3, 2012
Seems to me that this particular measure applies only if you and/or your passengers are drinking in the vehicle, moving or parked and does not affect that part of the law that applies to the driver's blood/alchol level (IMO).

Aug 13, 2009
agree - but then the earlier report of monsterman seems not to fit in the picture? IMO test on passengers is based on what kind of law?

Aug 13, 2009
I see it that way, too - but then on what basis the passengers in monsterman's example were to be tested? It would not prove that they were drinking in the car.

Feb 1, 2012
Wonder how that works if you have a few drinks and get a taxi ... your over the limit to drive but still in a car if they test the taxi driver will they then test you ?
Cops would be pulling every taxi up they could with Farangs in it pig banks on wheels.

Oct 17, 2006
Pattaya / chomburi .Rayong area cops are applying the law ''literally'' its a bonanza for them as yet to be tested in court where I am sure it would be clarified and only the driver would be liable if proven over legal limit but most people will pay Tea money rather than risk 60k fine plus lawyers costs and jail time to test it ,the cops know this and its scary being confronted by a crew of traffic officers late at night .....interestingly if you are busted in pattaya or rayong and seem willing to pay Tea money you will be arrested but not taken to actual police station to be proccessed you will be taken illegally to a private residence , and chained to a wall until payment is negotiated and paid, in Pattaya thats a private appartment in soi 13 off 2nd road , in rayong its a private house near Big C on Sukumvit , this is very illegal activity by the police but TIT.