Best bike for passenger?

Nov 17, 2007
Hello all,

Im going to be in Vientiane for a couple of weeks starting November 24. I was thinking of renting a bike to go for some day trips around Vientiane with my girlfriend. Is there a bike I could rent that would be better for two than the 250cc bajas? Off-roads arent really ideal for carrying passengers. I assume their the bike of choice due to the road conditions in Laos.

Anybody have any recommendations for bikes, or day trips around VTE? Also, whats the best way to get my helmet over there, just carry it on the plane? Do the places that rent bikes also sell insurance?

Thanks much,

Vit

Aug 31, 2005
Vit - you've asked a lot of questions. see below
quote:

Originally posted by Vitreous

Hello all,

Im going to be in Vientiane for a couple of weeks starting November 24. I was thinking of renting a bike to go for some day trips around Vientiane with my girlfriend. Is there a bike I could rent that would be better for two than the 250cc bajas?

Your choices are 100-110cc scooters or 250 XR hondas. Thats it.

Off-roads arent really ideal for carrying passengers. I assume their the bike of choice due to the road conditions in Laos.

Anybody have any recommendations for bikes, or day trips around VTE?

Day trips... you can go to the Buddha park, or out to the Zoo, or up to Vang Vieng (all day) or out to the river on route 10. lots of choices.

Also, whats the best way to get my helmet over there, just carry it on the plane? Do the places that rent bikes also sell insurance?

Bring your helmet as carry on luggage. much safer.

Insurance? What insurance? Get travel insurance that covers riding motorcycles before you come here and includes medivacs out of here. In Lao the rule is YFIYFI. You Fxxx It You Fix It. IE you will be responsible for all damage and if the bike gets stolen you pay for its replacement.
If you want to insure the bike for 3rd party property see any AGL agent in town.

Thanks much,

Vit