Big Bike in Chiang Mai

Nov 25, 2011
We are a couple from Denmark, which have been touring the south of Thailand on motorbike several times.

Now we want to try out the roads in the north of Thailand around Chiang Mai. We'll arrive in Chiang Mai the 23th of December 2011 and stay until the 3th of January 2012.

We usually drive 2-3.000 km in 10 days.

And the great question is; Is it possible to rent a cruiser 700ccm+ like a Honda Shadow, Yamaha Star, Suzuki Intruder or other bikes like theese. And the mistress says, she would love to have a sissybar.

See you on the roads.

Nov 23, 2011
Chaseone;273559 wrote: We are a couple from Denmark, which have been touring the south of Thailand on motorbike several times.

Now we want to try out the roads in the north of Thailand around Chiang Mai. We'll arrive in Chiang Mai the 23th of December 2011 and stay until the 3th of January 2012.

And the great question is; Is it possible to rent a cruiser 700ccm+ like a Honda Shadow, Yamaha Star, Suzuki Intruder or other bikes like theese. And the mistress says, she would love to have a sissybar.

See you on the roads.

Wish you luck in your journey mate! Im riding to Koh Samui too, from 25-31dec 2011... lol... or we could meet. Have a safe journey and a pleasant ride!!

Sep 4, 2007
That's a difficult one. You see quite a few of the bike you describe around Chiang Mai and the North, but not in the rental shops. What is available for rent is the Kawasaki Versys, 650cc twin, which make a very good 2 up Thailand tourer. As the model is fairly new to Thailand, the rentals bikes are still in good condition. Some have rear racks and you may find a shop willing to fit some sort of sissy bar for you. The 200cc Phantom is available and fits some of your needs, but at a much smaller engine capacity.
You should also be aware that this is a peak holiday time in Chiang Mai and most bikes will be booked in advance.
If you need any more help I would be happy to visit a couple of shops and ask more specific questions. I am retired here and have no connection with any shops..

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
I agree - rent a Versys, there should be some in decent shape available. Shadows, Intruders a.s.o are usually older models in poor condition. At least that's the situation here in the south.
Sissy bars are an american invention for long, straight hauls. They are illegal in lots of countries because they transfer weight to the rear which makes the bike difficult to handle. Especially on winding mountain roads I would not recommend them!

I met a couple from Denmark who traveled Thailand up and down, doing 13,000 km in half a year - on a Yamaha Nouvo!

Nov 25, 2011
Thanks for the answers until now.

I'm an experienced biker, and I have been driving 22.000 km in Thailand.

We have concidered the Versys as the best alternative, but saw that the Mr. Mechanic had a FJR 1200. But it dosent seem as if the bike is there anymore ?We have send him a mail.

Johngoodding - we would be very happy, if you would have the trouble to check out the possibilities in the rental stores - alternatively Versys with rack. And the price for 10 days.

Are there any problems with insurance ? It's difficult to find anything readable about this. Some says yes and other says no. Luckely we never have the need of using this.

We are looking very much forward to come to Chiang Mai and experience the region. We were in Chiang Mai 15 years ago, but then it was very cold - freezing in the night - so we went to Phuket instead.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Chaseone;273559 wrote: We are a couple from Denmark, which have been touring the south of Thailand on motorbike several times.

See you on the roads.

Some rental shop info is here
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/25854-Chiang-Mai-Motorcycle-Rental-Shop-Updates

Sep 4, 2007
I visited 4 shops this morning, everyone confirmed that cruisers of large cc capacity were not available for hire in CM.
The only shop that had availability of the Versys for the full 10 days you require is POPS rental, details available on the link posted above. They have just bought 10 new Versys, some have a rack on the back and all have passenger grab rails.
The normal price is 1,800 Baht per day including 3rd party insurance. They will discount for 10 day hire, but I think not fair to publish the price here. Payment in cash only, 10,000 baht deposit to secure the hire and copy of license and copy passport required. Hope thats helpful. Comprehensive insurance not available on hire bikes as far as I can determine, so if you damage the bike you will have to pay.

Nov 25, 2011
Hi John and thanks alot.

It's nice sitting 10.000 km away and get others to do the legwork :))

We have decided to rent a Versys with rack, and we'll write and reservate a bike at Pop Rental and make a good deal. 1800 bath a day is also money.

We'll arrive the 23th of December.

Any recommendations for good bungalows near Chiang Mai - 1000 to 2000 bath - as basecamp, and where its easy to get on the roads. We'll probably also take some overnight-tours.

Oct 11, 2009
Hello

I hired a Versey in CM and it was exellent for the task better than the ER 6 I just used .The Golden triangle maps will have all the info you need re roads and I found them exellent.I just got back to the UK missing the roads and North thailand already.Have a great trip

Safe riding

Paul

Nov 25, 2011
Hi
I have now written to Pop Car Rental 2 times to rent a Versys, but havn't received an answer. I dont like it :(

Jan 16, 2008
Chaseone,
I have seen loads of Versys at POP Rental near Thapae Gate today, shouldnt be a problem in my eyes to fly in and find one. POP has several rental places around Chiang Mai.

Message in Danish follows:
Hvis du vil være sikker på at få en, så send mig en PM med navn og datoer, så kan jeg gå ned og se om jeg kan reservere en for jer manuelt. Jeg bor i CM.
Mvh,
Keld

Dec 27, 2007
Chaseone;273880 wrote: Hi
I have now written to Pop Car Rental 2 times to rent a Versys, but havn't received an answer. I dont like it :(

It's very common for small Thai companies to not reply to email. You would perhaps be better off calling them on the phone- 0869111218