BMW Is Recalling 51,000 Motorcycles for Fuel Leak

Dec 27, 2007
[h=1]BMW Is Recalling 51,000 Motorcycles for Fuel Leak[/h] By CHRISTOPHER JENSENJAN. 6, 2014

Following an investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, BMW says it isrecalling almost 51,000 motorcycles because of a possible fuel leak, according to a report the automaker posted on the agency’s website. Most of the recalled motorcycles are 2005-11 R and K series models.

The action comes almost 14 months after N.H.T.S.A. began investigating consumer complaints about fuel leaks. BMW said it would recall the motorcycles, although the automaker said the leaks do not pose “an unreasonable risk to motor vehicle safety.”

The problem involves cracks developing in a plastic flange on the fuel pump, possibly after a maintenance procedure is performed incorrectly. In addition, BMW said, corrosive fluids could damage a seal, causing “a small leak.”

At least one owner told the safety agency that the leak was not small.

“I started the motorcycle engine – a few seconds after it started, gasoline started to gush from the front of the bike onto the engine,” one owner wrote to the agency. “Before I knew it, I was in a puddle of gasoline. I shut it off as soon as I realized what was happening. I mopped up the gasoline off of the floor to eliminate the fire danger.”
Some other owners told the agency that, after finishing a ride, they found a pant leg soaked in gasoline.

BMW told the agency it was not aware of any accidents, injuries or fires related to the issue.

BMW’s report said that the automaker received its first complaint of a leak in 2006 and several more the following year. By early 2010, the company had investigated the problem and concluded that the leaks were because of improper servicing techniques. During the first half of 2010, BMW made manufacturing changes to new models to prevent such problems.
The full list of recalled motorcycles can be seen here.

If your bike is on the list probably a good idea to get it inspected by BMW, Thailand:

BMW (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
87/2 44th and 50th Floor CRC Tower All Seasons Place
Wireless Road., Patumwan, Bangkok 10330
Tel: (662) 305-8888
Fax: (662) 305-8889

Deano747

Subscribed
Aug 24, 2008
My 2001 K1200 RS was recalled in 2008 to replace the plastic fuel coupling near the tank with a metal one. This is a quick disconnect coupling to enable the tank to be removed (relatively) easily. Apparently they had a few of these plastic ones split and gush the fuel everywhere as described in Tony's post. At the time BMW said the same thing; a slight possibility of a small leak if you haven't done the maintenance procedure correctly (ie been really really gentle with it when disconnecting the fitting). It was only after several fires that BMW actually was forced to fix the fault.

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
No longer a fan. One was enough to cure me of BMW (Breakout My Wallet). Great when they run, but these days I would rather ride than wrench.

Deano747

Subscribed
Aug 24, 2008
Don't get me wrong, love my BM to bits. Probably the smoothest bike I have ever owned and a joy to ride. I have just sold it (last Sunday to make room for a GS1200) and I am missing it already. It's BMW's attitude to problems that I find disappointing.

blackb15

Subscribed
Oct 11, 2009
Will be interesting how the water cooled GS fairs with recalls and reliability it was nice to ride, but I thought the KTM 1190 adventure the best of current bunch but all personnel taste ,no bad ones anymore .
Safe riding
Paul

Oct 17, 2006
FDALE Ducati diagnotsic s , are available for older and new models , some from techno research and there is also a French site making softwware for laptop access to many models , you dont need theexpensive Mathesis unit that the dealers have , I have a set of software for my Old 2001 S4 and 916/996 , but latest models software is out there .truth is the modern dukes are some of the most reliable bikes out there .

BMW have been having major issues with plastic tanks and gasohol before this recall for the flange leaks was issued ,also major warranty issues in EU with electronics on the EFI and TPS and rusting/poor paint on new bikes mainly the GS models which are the best sellers .