Cannot take bikes to Lao at Mukdahan!!

Discussion in 'Laos - General Discussion Forum' started by finzean100, Dec 1, 2010.

1. finzean100

finzean100 Member

Have just been to Mukdhan.I was sent :p from the Bridge to the Customs office near the ferry.People at bridge were pleasant and sent me to Cutoms they insisted there was no way I was allowed to take my bike into Lao from Mukdahan!! Mr Kictchai and his side kick gave the distinct impression of being anti Falang.I did not loose my temper and shook hands on departure.Am now in Nakhon Phanom and will try here in the Morning.Only thing is I beleive Visa on arrival at Tha Kek can be a problem and I really do not want to go all the way to the Lao Embassy i Koen Kaen!!! After being invited to give a bribe at immigration the other day I am more than a little sceptical of Thai oficialdom!!Any advice for a knakered biker?

2. Loading...

3. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

I think you missed these on GT Rider
    1. http://www.gt-rider.com/touring-informa ... sing-notes

2 posts in the last 10 days saying Mukdahan / Savannakhet is a definite NO ENTRY / is TOUGH, & often no exit as well.
    Nakhon Phanom / Tha Khaek should work no trouble. Laos Visa on Arrival is available there.
    Enjoy your trip & please keep us informed how you go with a nice little trip report.

4. finzean100

finzean100 Member

After yestrays frustrations I turned up bright and early at the Customs In nakhon Phanom(wrong one first there are 2) Only to be told that it is a holday in Lao!! I asked if it was possible to do the paperwork Today , but they were not keen on this!! I showed my green book and copies to the Guy and he said come back tomorrow!!I am beginning to get a bad feeling about this escapade,but have taken room for tonight.While I am sure Nhakon Phanom is a nice town I find the prospect of spending a further24 hours here singularly uninviting!! Should have gone to Koh Chang at least they let you on the ferry!!