Carring knives and fighting in Thailand

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by bmore rex, Nov 21, 2011.

1. bmore rex

bmore rex Member

Hey guys,

I'm leaving for SE Asia in a few weeks and I've had a few people tell me not to carry my knife in Thailand and to never get into a fight with a Thai. I grew up in a rough city and never go anywhere without a knife. I also never back down from a fight but know how to pick my battles. What's everyone's experience with the concealed weapons laws in Thailand? I've heard that locking blades especially are banned. Since you're all riders I would assume that most of you carry some type of knife and or weapon.

Same question goes for fighting. I'm used to traveling in developing countries and have pretty thick skin and have gotten used to the normal scams. Sometimes though, things get heated and fights happen. I'm 6' 250lbs so I'm a mountain compared to most Thais and I won't back down from ANY one on one, unless a gun is involved. I am constantly hearing "whatever you do, never get into a fight with a Thai, especially a tuk tuk driver". I guess they say it because Thais can't stand to lose face so they never give up. I'm used to that too, so nothing new for me. I live in Jamaica on and off and if you fight a local, you have to knock him out or kill him... What everyone's experience with altercations with locals? How did they turn out? How do you handle yourself when these things happen?

Thanks

2. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Ol'Timer

Problem is it's never one on one here in Thailand.

You pick a fight with a Thai and 9 times out of 10 you'll have to deal with a gang of them.

I've seen some vicious beat downs here in Thailand and pulling a weapon is only going to escalate the level of violence IMO.

Thailand is pretty darn safe- it's extremely rare to hear of assaults where the victim didn't initiate the conflict. Trouble usually finds those who go looking for it, if you know what I mean ;)

If you like to fight I suggest you give Muay Thai a try. At least then it's one on one.