Chain and Sprocket check...

Mar 30, 2010
Hi Fellas,

Being a total gumbie when it comes to mechanical things.. (I take mine to Kawa for every check up and before a long trip)

Couple of basic maintenance questions I should probably know...

How do you check the chain and sprocket to ensure they are in good order?
With out pulling anything a part if that is possible..?

The Ninja is around 20k and still on the same chain and sprocket.. Went for the last Kawa warranty service at 18k.. I was not told it needs replacing.

The Versys is 16,500 K Had it since 13 K Next warranty service is at 18 K

KLX is at around 15 or 16 K I think..
This one concerns me the most with the amount of off road, mud and Lao DUST etc.

Appreciate any tips and tricks

Thanks
Brian

Feb 1, 2012
If your sprockets look anything like this "change them as for a chian the best way is to take it off and have a good look to see if there are no kinks in it so to speak or if it is streched to the end of your adjuster time for a new one.

281880=11903-front_sprocket_closeup.jpg

281880=11904-IMG_1794%20bent%20sprocket%20teeth.jpg

281880=11905-worn_sprocket-16-hours.jpg

Feb 1, 2012
Or this might be a better comparison for you the top one is good and bottom one is worn.
hope this gives you a good idea what to look for.

281881=11906-imagesCAZIGZCW.jpg

Sep 4, 2007
As the bike is there ask Khun Nat to have a look, he will tell you what percent life left in the sprockets, and the chain. Well worth changing as a set, I would expect upwards of 30K, but I understand Kawasaki chain life is often not that good.
Some excellent pictures of worn sprockets here, but I must say in danger of breaking off what of the teeth remaining, and I would change long before become so thin and hooked. Heavy chain wear and stiff links will lead to low speed grinding noises, especially when slowing down and the engine is not pulling the chain, but the wheel is pushing it

Mar 30, 2010
Thanks guys for the good information.

Not too worried about the Versys.. As John said.. I can get Nat to look at that.. Besides.. The previous owner had a smaller sprocket and I changed it back at 13k.

More worried about the Ninja and KLX..

Will get the KLX changed before the next dry / riding season as that chain does make a bit of noise and does have a few kinks..
Had a look tonight.. 15.5k on the clock.. and over half of that will be in Laos.. the other half 50 50 between roads and dirt..

Thanks again.

Brian

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
IMHO the front sprocket often needs replacing before the chain, so make sure you have a look at that too.
2 front sprockets to one chain & rear sprocket is a rough rule to follow.

Mar 30, 2010
Hi All,

Here is the price for a chain and sprocket set from Kawasaki Rama 9 for the KLX

1.Chain drive EK520 = 2520 Baht
2.Sprocket out put (Front) = 378 Baht
3.Sprocket Hub 42 T (Rear) = 473 Baht
4.Labour charge (estimate) = 350 Baht

Cheers
Brian

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Just changed chain and sprockets at 20'000 for Versys. Took a different quality chain (gold colour) which is about 1'000 more expensive. Total at Kawa CNX slightly over 4'000 (sorry did not keep precise bill)! Seems that it is normal life span (I am not very good in taking care of my chains).

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Feb 5, 2007
Just bought a Supersprox 44 rear, stock front, 520 kit in Canada for 217.00 USD for my Versys. Chain is a RK brand #GB520GWX
I think that this will give me the gearing I want and a lifetime (??) guarantee on the rear sprocket
I note that the front Supersprox does not have the rubber insert like the stock one and wonder what effect this will have on the driveline

Mar 4, 2011
Hi Hoghead
How is the 44 rear do you think its better ?
The standard is 46 tooth rear and the standard front is 15 tooth did you change the front at all ?
Have you got better fuel consumption with the 44 ?
I am in Australia so top speed is of no real significance as low speed limits here but fuel saving always good.

I also throw this question out to any one else who has changed there drive ratio and what do they think.

Feb 5, 2007
I used the standard 15T front with the 44 rear resulting in a higher overall ratio. I find that I am looking for 7th gear a lot less and 6000 rpm is now 130K which is more to my cruising style. I have not tried but suspect that it will have a hard time pulling to red line in top with this new gearing.
Not for all riders but suits me and the way I use the bike better than the 46T rear

I imagine that there is better fuel mileage when cruising but that was not my goal and I have not bothered to measure.

Mar 4, 2011
Thanks for that info.
As my bike is used for a media bike many times with 2 of us on and T.V. camera i may split it down the middle and put a 45T on this should drop the revs a fraction which is good for my normal riding but keeping a little down low for the extra weight when I am doing media work and yes with these bikes we are always looking for 7th gear.
Thanks Hoghead.

Feb 5, 2007
David, on your ER you have different cams, compression and therefore less torque. This will be a factor in the overall performance with a higher gear, and not the same end result my Yersys

Mar 4, 2011
Hoghead;284824 wrote: David, on your ER you have different cams, compression and therefore less torque. This will be a factor in the overall performance with a higher gear, and not the same end result my Yersys
I have a Versys here in Oz and its for that bike not my ER.
Thanks again for your input Robert much appreciated.

Feb 5, 2007
David - remembered that you told me that after writing the response, and reminded me that I owe you the suspension explanation we discussed on the MHS ride

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
My Versy’s rear sprocket lost two (golden) teeth! It’s new ‘Supersprox 44’ is like coughing syrup for a hectic driver like me; I really appreciate my bike’s new behavior.

I also changed my (golden) chain again; it had run 15’000 kilometers. This, maybe, was not an absolute necessity, but it reduced noise and increased smoothness. The new front sprocket is still stock.

My speedo might now be inaccurate (10 %?) … if it was ever accurate before, and with my casual driving style, I might not notice any other side effect.

NIK_5062-Edit.jpg

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Jurgen;295355 wrote: My Versy’s rear sprocket lost two (golden) teeth! It’s new ‘Supersprox 44’ is like coughing syrup for a hectic driver like me; I really appreciate my bike’s new behavior.

I also changed my (golden) chain again; it had run 15’000 kilometers. This, maybe, was not an absolute necessity, but it reduced noise and increased smoothness. The new front sprocket is still stock.

My speedo might now be inaccurate (10 %?) … if it was ever accurate before, and with my casual driving style, I might not notice any other side effect.

NIK_5062-Edit.jpg

A Supersprox rear sprocket. That should last you forever. Top choice!

Nov 21, 2010
Speaking about chains ..... on my new CB500F is of course also a DID 520 chain (made in Thailand) and after 3000 km I can see the beginning of the same problems I had with the DID 520 chain I had on my Kawasaki Versys. Maybe the DID 520 chains (made in Thailand) are extremely sensitive to dirt/dust? Or is it my riding style? So soon the chain will be replaced by a better brand-name (made in Japan). The EK chain on my Versys was after 8000 km still in very good condition.