Chain grease in a tin

Discussion in 'Northern Thailand - General Discussion Forum' started by ianyonok, Oct 4, 2012.

1. ianyonok

ianyonok Ol'Timer

These pictures will take you all back to your youth.......

The missus had "gone shoppin".... so as I'd just taken delivery of a tin of Putoline Chain Wax, purchased on ebay... time to hit the kitchen.....

Best way to lube non-O ring chains. When heated it's like very thin oil. Give the chain a bit of a shake around in the liquid wax and it'll get right into the pins and inside of the bushes.

Best actually to zig-zag the chain in the tin, rather than lay it in a circle, as it's easier to get out. Be ready with a couple of pairs of pliers to take the tin off the stove, a hook to pull the chain out and a place to hang it up.

The wax sets pretty hard so will last quite some time.

2. Loading...

3. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

Wow. Yes indeed that does bring back memories of the 70s in Oz "boiling the chain." & I remember I once knocked over the boiling tin in Dad's shed & he was not impressed with the mess.
  4. Changnoi1

Changnoi1 Ol'Timer

So you are going to knock off the rivit every time you clean your chain?

Chang Noi
  5. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Ol'Timer

Wow, that's cool! I've heard of this but never seen it. That is one happy looking chain!
  6. ianyonok

ianyonok Ol'Timer

Non-O ring chains usually have a split link. Same as they did in the seventies. Made by Renolds and others. This stuff is not to be used on an O ring chain as the heat would damage the O rings but is extremely good for non-O ring chains.

Some more info below if you are interested;

7. Hoghead

Hoghead Ol'Timer

chain saw oil works great
  8. Ohhh, the memories! Yep, split link and away you go! And nary a drop on the missus stainless steel..... well done that man!
  9. KZ25

KZ25 Ol'Timer

My guess would be that chain saw oil is very thin because it doesn't need to stay on, it gets applied every few minutes while you're working the chain saw. Thin oil would be good in a Scott oiler.
    Since I don't want to lube my chain every day or every 100 km I'd go for a more heavy oil that sticks a bit longer.
    I'm using high temp wheel bearing grease, NPC power HT500, made in Thailand under license from Nippon Koyu Ltd. Japan. A 500 ml can is only around 100 B and available in most hardware stores or Home Pro. Works great so far, stays on, I apply it only every 1000 km or so.
  10. David Learmonth

David Learmonth Ol'Timer

Takes me back 40 years! I used to run 2 chains - swapped them about every week in fact. Had one on the bike as the other was left hanging up to 'dry'. No problem with mother's kitchen though - I used to use a camping gaz stove for boiling. Chains did indeed last very much longer. In those days though, all my chains were split link.