Chiang Khan to Khong Chiam

Discussion in 'Colins Thailand Honda Wave Tour' started by Colin, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Colin

Colin Active Member

Left Chiang Khan on Jan 16th and rode on the 211 around to Nong Khai, I Really want to do this trip in the wet season one year as I would love to see the Mekong in its full glory near to bursting. This is a strange thing for an Englishman to admit to as all we do in England is moan about the rain every time we want to go out on our bikes, But I guess it is different here in Thailand as at least it is warm rain and probably doesnt rain as long as it does back home. It is a reasonably pleasant trip to Nong Khai, Not bad roads. I personally quite like Nong Khai, I always stay at Chong Khol guest house overlooking the Mekong for 100 Baht a night. The weather was much better today than yesterday. Next morning I go to the Danish bakery for the buffet breakfast for 95 Baht and suitably stuffed with bacon eggs and sausages I leave staying on the 212 and riding to Nakhon Phanom. I probably wont do this journey again as I did it last year and both times found it boring and very dusty and as far as I am concerned Nakhon Phanom is just a stopover with nothing to recommend it, I stay in a noisy hotel for 160 Baht which according to my lonely planet book is the cheapest place in town. Next morning its the 212 to Mukdahan which I am looking forward to as it means I can get off this boring highway. I go and look at the new bridge being built and speak to the Japanese engineers about it. I think it should open late 06 according to them, Apparently the mekong is now only about two-three metres deep in the middle and goes up about fifteen metres in the wet season. I have a friend who lives near Mukdahan and he says it is awesome at full flow with whole trees hurtling down it. I leave Mukdahan and take the 2034 which turns onto the 2242 just before Khommarat then the 2112 to Khong Chiam. All the way I follow as close as I can to the Mekong but not so exciting now just quite flat countryside. I notice it is a lot warmer now that I have got further south. I stay at the Apple guest house for 150 Baht. The internet is a bit slow here but the worst thing is no western food so I have to eat Thai food for the first time in about three weeks. Its one of only two places I have stayed in my four months here that western food is not available.
  2. Loading...