Chiang Khong Luang Nam Ta Udom Xay

Discussion in 'Laos Road Trip Reports' started by Steffi, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Steffi

Steffi Member

Hi,
    I hope to get some fresh informtion about the road from Chiang Kong to Louang Namtha. I ve been there 7 years ago the last time. How many hours i need now fot the same way. Is it possible to enter Laos with a motorcycle Honda 250, without a numberplate? I have the opportunitity to buy one with invoice papers and with insurance, but no number plates. [B)]
    I am also thinking about the experience to use a slow boat from Chiang Kong to Pak Beng. Maybe somebody has experience how many hours i´ll need for this trip and how much i have to spent for 2 persons and 2 motorbikes.
    Thanks for your tips, I am already very curious for making my final plans. [:)]

Steffi

Nobody is perfect....

2. Loading...

3. omri82

omri82 Member

Hi Steffi,
    I drove thru this road a fu week's ago & it was very challenging (wet season,remember?).
    there is allot of contraction on this road & combined with rain there is allot of mud (also my break pads war ruined because of the mud) & it took me 2 hard day's to get from Luang Namtha to Huay Xai but if U got a good bike & U ready for adventure then go for it! (but don't forget to get speer break pad's because there is now any in this part of Laos).

From Huay Xai I took the slow boat to LPR (wa over night stop in Pak Beng) & it's a 7-8 hours itch day . it cost me 1700 THB for me & may bike if I remember correctly but maybe U can find a chipper price.
    Sorry but i'm don't know about crossing the border there so i can't help U with that.
    Have fun & drive safe.
    omri.

4. Steffi

Steffi Member

Thank you Omri butI only want to go in thr dry saeson in december. Im very interesting to know about crossing the border. When I buy the bike next I have only invoice paper in my name but no number plate. Possible or not ?

Nobody is perfect....

5. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

Customs in Chiang Khong say NO bike rego no can go to Laos.
    You need a legal registered bike with a plate now.
    Suggest you take a look at
    http://www.gt-rider.com/crossingborders.html
    and
    http://www.gt-rider.com/bikes.html#BUYINGABIKE

Davidfl
    Keep The Power On