Chiang Mai Big Bike Police Crackdown

mussen

Nov 14, 2005
Barrett wrote: Hey Guys,

I'll be taking a new job in Chiang Mai soon and am planning a move from Phuket around the end of this month. Would really appreciate some advice as I think I've a bit of a mess with my bikes.

I'll be bringing my prized little collection of 4 bikes (AX-1, NSR250R, GSX-R 400R & VFR 800). The tax and registration has expired on all bikes, which I've been meaning to attend to but was too busy to get around to taking them down individually. All the bikes have green books and plates (though 3 books are not in my name; I stupidly didn't get the owners down to the transport dept. to change the names over and they're all long gone now...). 3 of the bikes were last registered in Phuket, 1 was last registered in Chonburi by the Thai guy I bought it from there.

Question is, should I register the bikes here before moving or just take them to Chiang Mai and register them there? Or will I need to do both? Also, will I have problems registering the bikes in either place if the green books are not in my name? I have purchase receipts for the bikes (all from private owners), but no other import, etc. docs. All the bikes are 10 years or older but in very good nick.

Any advice/info would be appreciated.
My reply here is probably out of place in this topic, however just replying to Barrett, you should have no problems whatsoever renewing the rego/insurance on those bikes. You shouldn't even need the bikes + plates to be in your posession at the time of doing it.

On older bikes (in Bangkok anyway), I can't remember the age but I think it was 5 or 10 years (somebody correct me), they require you to 'rub off' a copy of the frame number from wherever it is. The Thai's use a sticky tape that has a surface you can write on, I think the tape is called 'Litto', you can find it and stationers. Basically you stick the tape over the frame number, and use a soft pencil to rub off an image of it.

All you need to do is take the green book for each bike down to a place that does rego renewals, they usually have a sign that says ป.ร.บ. out the front, along with the frame numbers you've rubbed off, and they will renew them for you.

Let us know how you go doing it.

Oct 17, 2006
ray23 wrote: http://la.oodle.com/vehicle/motorcycle/?q=Yamaha&inbs=1

If you guys thought I was kidding abou LA check this site out one that coaught my eye a 2002 1600 Roadstar 11K miles $ 3900

Now if you can figure out how to get them here, get them registered legally, it would be worth the trouble

But it's long curvy road between point A and point B
%

4 years ago we were buying at the california auctions HDs for Wranglers HD in Pattaya, (now Iron Horse) bikes were very cheap but freight costs ,insurance and the need to dismantle each bike and ship to 3 separate companies in Thailand made it complex and that was befor Thai impost duties, and attempting to register the bikes after they were reassembled.
for example an 883 sporteste bougt at austion for 150,000 baht cost 370,000 by the time it arrived here and was made legal giving the shop a profit of 30,000 if it sold at market rate of 400,000 that a 10% markup on 6 moths hassle . Not worth it even when buying 50 bikes .

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
I'm sure it would be very complex, probably not everyone is doing it. What if yuo boujght and shipped it without taking it apart what are you looking at. lets use the one I looked a an example 115K baht there. End cost here would be approximately how much?

Oct 17, 2006
ray23 wrote: I'm sure it would be very complex, probably not everyone is doing it. What if yuo boujght and shipped it without taking it apart what are you looking at. lets use the one I looked a an example 115K baht there. End cost here would be approximately how much?
taking apart and shipping to 3 seperate corporate addresses gets import duty of 35% as spares , bring it in whole and it can be as much as 260% of the value they decree not what u bought it for. then there is registration costs etc of about 80,000 for an HD .

so 115k + shipping 50K + duty 260% = 270,000 + registration 80,000 =minimum 515,000 providing they agree value at 115k which is unlikely + worry hassle and time costs ?

Dec 24, 2007
mussen wrote: [quote quote=Barrett]Hey Guys,

I'll be taking a new job in Chiang Mai soon and am planning a move from Phuket around the end of this month. Would really appreciate some advice as I think I've a bit of a mess with my bikes.

I'll be bringing my prized little collection of 4 bikes (AX-1, NSR250R, GSX-R 400R & VFR 800). The tax and registration has expired on all bikes, which I've been meaning to attend to but was too busy to get around to taking them down individually. All the bikes have green books and plates (though 3 books are not in my name; I stupidly didn't get the owners down to the transport dept. to change the names over and they're all long gone now...). 3 of the bikes were last registered in Phuket, 1 was last registered in Chonburi by the Thai guy I bought it from there.

Question is, should I register the bikes here before moving or just take them to Chiang Mai and register them there? Or will I need to do both? Also, will I have problems registering the bikes in either place if the green books are not in my name? I have purchase receipts for the bikes (all from private owners), but no other import, etc. docs. All the bikes are 10 years or older but in very good nick.

Any advice/info would be appreciated.
My reply here is probably out of place in this topic, however just replying to Barrett, you should have no problems whatsoever renewing the rego/insurance on those bikes. You shouldn't even need the bikes + plates to be in your posession at the time of doing it.

On older bikes (in Bangkok anyway), I can't remember the age but I think it was 5 or 10 years (somebody correct me), they require you to 'rub off' a copy of the frame number from wherever it is. The Thai's use a sticky tape that has a surface you can write on, I think the tape is called 'Litto', you can find it and stationers. Basically you stick the tape over the frame number, and use a soft pencil to rub off an image of it.

All you need to do is take the green book for each bike down to a place that does rego renewals, they usually have a sign that says ป.ร.บ. out the front, along with the frame numbers you've rubbed off, and they will renew them for you.

Let us know how you go doing it.
That's right, I had to do the same with my CBR, they wanted 3 sets of 'etchings' / rubbings (as they are known) copies of frame and engine number.
The tape you can use is like the decorators tape used for blanking off non-paint areas.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Ok all this Talk is Very Nice How everyone could lose any Illegal Bike :shock: We are all aware of this So Who is actually Doing anything about it besides Crying :cry: . I Have a Grey Plate on My Raid which I am now going to Try and Sort out so if anyone Else has any Info or Luck doing the Same Please Let Us Know :?: I will Post any Information on What happens :idea: There are Dozens of Guys out there with Dodgy Bikes so why not Try and Resolve it right :wink: And Ray Please Verify Your Friend Who is getting a New Green Book for 50.000 Baht through the Police who Confiscated His Bike???
I am also Told they are X-Raying the Engine & Frame Numbers which will show up if they have been Changed? Again this may just be a Rumour but if True 50% of the Bikes will disappear up here in CM so How about trying to Sort it out before it comes to this???

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Ian that was a posting from Thai Visa not a friend.

Supposedly there is a meeting going on in Pattaya this weekend to try to find answers to getting the bikes registered before they are siezed.

Hopefully the findings will be posted.

If I see it I will pass it on, your right there are a lot of grey books out there. Your also right crying in your beer isn't going to resolve it.

so lets see if Pattaya actually come up with an anwer but I'm not betting on it, These things normally turn into bitch sessions and nothing gets taken care of.

Only one way to get the right information and find out what they want. Then do as they direct you. Makes their job easier but better be prepared to pay the feee. In my case that would be the second time around. I have absolutely no confidence that my book is not a grey book, But that was the only thing available in Udon at the time.

Beyond that Unless you did the process yourself yuo don't know what that dealer did didn't do. Even if yuo bought the bike with a book from an individual that is no guarentee that it wasn't grey book in the first place.

This is a huge problem, the only people who have the answers are the ones seizing the bikes. There are not enough riders in this area, for them to meet with us so we can find out what we need to do.

I will try one thing one of our guys is good friends with the Chief of Police here who rides an unplated Harley. I will see if he will ask the chief but I don't know. Touchy subject under the circumstances.

Oct 17, 2006
I was stopped Twice yesterday in Pattaya and Rayong and each time asked for Green Book on the Ducati. they have road checks on Big bikes all over the place , lots of people being stopped, if the bike has insurance and plates they will let you continue but give yopu a ticket to produce Valid green book within 3 days , if no insurance or plates your bike is impounded immediately.

Yesterday 3 HDs were impounded near BanChang all ridden by Farang .at Bang saen the police had over 20 impounded big bikes from Thais coming from Bangkok to the Seaside , both places are popular weekend big biker meeting places.

The directive for all this activity is from central government i was told by the cops and they will not accept any TEA MONEY as this is not local stuff and they are also under the spotlight.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Monst will they accept a copy iof the book, to valuable to be carrying around on the bike. I carry a copy but the book is si under lock and key.

Do know anyone that actually went to the planned meeting in Pattaya?

Oct 17, 2006
Ray if u have a copy of the book they will let you go , but you are still required to submit the real document ,they take your license and give you a ticket.

Tell the truth I am really pissed off went out for a ride this morning , got stopped again in Pattaya and also up on the 331 same bullshit ,oh yeah also today they added my exhausts as illegal and added a 600 Baht fine they are C/F termignonis which the bike had when it passed the registration so they are legal. and they scratched the paint on my frame poking about and an indicator bastards.
Also more people reporting the same all over Rayong, Chantaburi ,Trat ,Ko chang .
I am off to UK tommorow so I hope I will be allowed to ride my Monster 750 over there in peace.

What planned meeting? spoken to many bikers and shops here no one knows of any meeting .the clubs Burapha,jesters ,maddogs know nought .just a big load of hassle started with the renters and now on everyone.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Thanks

This stuff is all over six Forums so I can't remeber where the post came form. Probably rumor.

Can't say what the source is but I am confident of it, Udon has not received directive on this as of yet.

Feb 8, 2009
Also more people reporting the same all over Rayong, Chantaburi ,Trat ,Ko chang .
Also in Trat, Koh Chang???
Can you give more details or a source for that, because I haven't heard or seen anything about it here.

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
Yes. I had 3 scooters going to Koh Chang and when going there they telephoned every half hour that the police have stopped them and they asked for assistance, which they got....

HIKO

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

Big troubles, times changing, LOL less "sabai"...

The big question for me is "Would a copy a green book be accepted by the Police during a control ?".

Could someone answer ? It's a bit problematic to carry allways this original precious and large document. Doesn't fit in a pocket, could be lost, stolen or simply destroy by heavy rain, then what to do to renew it ?

Nevertheless, if you go back the the hassle I had when regestring my first bike in Thailand, you'll find my comment and opinion on the bike situation in Thailand.

For those who did not follow the legal tracks, all good things have an end...Unfortunatlly but that's it.

Would be interesting to know what is behind ?

Needs of new source of incomes, protection of an embryoning internal market for big bikes, pressure from countries where bikes are stolen....????

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Ok lets add another question to that one some of the guys on the ride list don't have books what do they have to do to get one?

Dec 24, 2007
monsterman wrote: Ray if u have a copy of the book they will let you go , but you are still required to submit the real document ,they take your license and give you a ticket.

Tell the truth I am really pissed off went out for a ride this morning , got stopped again in Pattaya and also up on the 331 same bullshit ,oh yeah also today they added my exhausts as illegal and added a 600 Baht fine they are C/F termignonis which the bike had when it passed the registration so they are legal. and they scratched the paint on my frame poking about and an indicator bastards.
What a bunch of twats!
I must of been lucky, was out in Pattaya and Jomtien on the 14th.
The weather was great and did a load of apartment hunting.
I didn't see a single check-point set up, just traffic cops doing the sat by the roadside thing.
That said, I only saw 2 big bikes apart from mine.
The X-Ray bs really is taking the piss if they go ahead with that.
Thailand is likely going to loose its touring crown for bikers if they keep this up any longer.

I'm interested to know how a lot of bikers are going to be able to afford to register there machines!
I know a lot that are on low income.
The paperwork, travel and locating the place in Bangkok that's supposed to be able to do it want mega-baht.

The police stating they can get you a green book is pie in the sky and the carrot on the stick for hard cash.
Only the government vehicle place can do that.

Oct 17, 2006
Endurorider wrote:
Also in Trat, Koh Chang???
Can you give more details or a source for that, because I haven't heard or seen anything about it here.
Check point on the 317 and later on 3 just before turnoff for the KoChang ferry netted a haul of weekend big bikes coming from BKK etc .
Police were checking bikes around banchang area all weekend for books .many people stopped ,just saw another checkpoint by Caltex south pattaya and a whole load of big bikes being checked.they waved me on as thay have already seen me .

Oct 17, 2006
Captain_Slash wrote: Monsterman wrote
I am off to UK tommorow so I hope I will be allowed to ride my Monster 750 over there in peace.
Jerry you are in for a shock mate, in the UK they really are out to get you. How long you over there for?

I know mate all the fucking camera ,stealth Firebaldes ,Gsxrs etc + the tracking systems its a nightmare in UK, i will be over there for about 3 months or so.
The only main difference is that in UK I can ride sober and enjoy myself , here i hate my bike so much i cannot enjoy it sober ,,but when half cut its seems fine.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Knew I had seen something about a meeting turns out on a different thread here/ Now I feel bettre havent completly lost it

tomdegerth
Biker

Posted: 13 Mar 2009 03:55 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The club i'm riding with in BKK are quite worried about this recent crackdown, most of them (Thai guys) have no plate.
This sat they have set up a big meeting with some big bike clubs in Bangkok to discuss this matter. The goal is to have a talk with the government somehow, how to get the bikes road legal without spending a fortune.
Meeting will be at 59-bike's shop at 8pm this saturday.

www.59bike.com

Oct 17, 2006
Captain_Slash wrote: Monsterman wrote
know mate all the fishing camera ,stealth Firebaldes ,Gsxrs etc + the tracking systems its a nightmare in UK, i will be over there for about 3 months or so.
The only main difference is that in UK I can ride sober and enjoy myself , here i hate my bike so much i cannot enjoy it sober ,,but when half cut its seems fine.
I have met the copper riding the Fireblade twice, he was at the Kawasaki dealer in Worthing last year when I test rode the Versys at their open day. Another time he was out on in on a sunday at Whiteways at the top of Bury Hill near Arundel, hes a decent guy and good to have a chat with. Whats the difference in the bikes then Jerry that you hate the one you have over here? I will be back in the UK either the end of march or the end of april, we will have to catch up again sometime for a ride out again
I have met the same Copper at Bury Hill and he was at Hastings and Box Hill nice guy .

The Ducati in UK is an aircooled 750 2valver but heavily tuned its a sweety . the on here is a916 4v Fuel injected motor with power commander its super powerful but harsh it does not handle as well and when i ride it i often get off feeling depressed wheras the other one Is a never ending love affair.wish i could swop it for a triumph or amother HD or 2v Ducati but its unsellable no one wants the S4 at any price cant do PX or sell privately so the only answer is to ride drunk then the bike makes sense and is resonably pleasant..

Feb 8, 2009
Captain Slash has no number plate. javascript:emoticon(':twisted:') Please tomorrow morning up to the police station. :shock: :? :shock:

Jun 1, 2008
What is the overall picture for those of us looking to rent bikes. Will bikes of some sort still be available. If so, what do we do look for from the rental company. I know we can not accurately predict the future but what is the general feeling for rental opportunities.

Personally I am not too concerned about a large bike, happy on anything really as long as it is comfortable and can take a couple of bags onboard but I guess the less bikes available the more chance there is of hiring a crap one.

Thoughts gents please?