Chiang Mai Big Bike Police Crackdown

Oct 17, 2006
tonykiwi wrote: What is the overall picture for those of us looking to rent bikes. Will bikes of some sort still be available. If so, what do we do look for from the rental company. I know we can not accurately predict the future but what is the general feeling for rental opportunities.

Personally I am not too concerned about a large bike, happy on anything really as long as it is comfortable and can take a couple of bags onboard but I guess the less bikes available the more chance there is of hiring a crap one.

Thoughts gents please?
Tony ...most of the Pattaya rental big bikes seem to be back on the road and are now legal...make sure the bike you rent has a White plate and tags and wear a helmet . If the bike has a red plate ,no plate or tags walk away.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Anyone actually know what the process they are using to register the bikes 50K is still less then what yuo can get it done fo in Udon?

Oct 17, 2006
ray23 wrote: Anyone actually know what the process they are using to register the bikes 50K is still less then what yuo can get it done fo in Udon?
Ray 50,000 is an average some of the bikes were 400s some 1000cc the 400s cost about 40k to register the big bikes up to 80k she had 26 bikes and with fines etc it may have been more she paid out 2,5m for the 26 bikes.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Do you know what the physical proceedure was?

Time for a little rumor Control:

A local dealer her is telling the guys wihtout books that if they go to Bangkok and pay the taxes on the bike they don't need the book and the Police won't sieze it.

True or not true?

I think I already know the answer to this but I don'tt want say anything without asking people who are in the area, before saying anyhting. Human Beings Being human beings and always taking the path of least residence. The guys want to beleive it.

Dazza

Aug 25, 2008
Anybody know if the bikes seized we all being ridden at the time?

Wondering if my MX bike will be OK if its being trucked to the track or will that too be dodgy if spotted by the Feds?

Feb 8, 2009
This is my UK bike, it does actually have a number plate but in my avatar picture its covered by a coat

OK Cpt. Slash you can going on - no pay. :twisted:

Sep 24, 2008
Dazza. just put a tarp over the bike they cant see it no problem. By Thai law you should have side bars or a cover over the load anyway. especially if you go on an elevated highway or motorway. I got a 500baht fine in Bkk for this, the bike was strapped down fine no movement, but that didn't matter. Allan

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Let me try my question a different way

Has anyone or someone you know been stopped, with just the invoice showing import taxes paid?
If so was the bike siezed?

I have a book cost me 70K but there are lot of guys here who were told they didn't need one a few years back, which was true a few years back since it wasn't enforced. The economy stinks they are living on fixed incomes that is big chunk of money to them. They have the import Ect, but they a afraid to ride.

So the need an answer they need to know if he bike will be siezed if they get caught up in this.

The only information I can offer at this point is don't go to Pattaya or Chaing Mai, they are not fluent english speakers and can't understand what being posted.

Can anyone offer some help on this one. I frankly don't know

Oct 17, 2006
Captain_Slash wrote: Muzz wrote
833 Slasher????
Muzz, its actually a well tweaked stage 3 1200, a good fun bike to ride as it stop and handles a lot better than the average Harley
I goes very well , keeps up with my Ducati easily and Captain slash rides like a Demon on heat.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Thai that really sounds like if the import duties have been paid they are not seizing them They want the tax.

Nov 14, 2006
Some clubs had a meeting in BKK last sat. I was in the middle of the Pacific Ocean then, but here is what my Thai friend says when asked what they discussed:

"It's obviously. No register vihicle can not be run in publication road.
Just invoice or make new number on the frame, illegal...
Invoice + tax (excise) = ok, but still can not be use in public road. You may use it as a race bike only in circuit..

The thing is, it is not everybody can pay this tax(excise), it must be the company who especially set up for this matter.

Then, you only can register when you already pay the tax(excise) and pass the TIS.

Anyhow, Thailand will use the higher standard in near future... that's mean it will be very difficult to pass this standard.
And it means the registration price will be much higher than today...

Luckily... yours and mine already registered, don't you think so...?"

A bit lost in translation i think, not sure what he ment with some bits.

Tom

Jun 1, 2008
Any update on this 'crackdown'? Are things settling down now?

Is the rental situation stable?

Thanks

T

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Two recent rego problems in Chiang Mai recounted to me

1. A 1000cc bike bought & registered in Bkk awhile ago. The rego was transferred to Chiang Mai successfully a year ago.
In the last couple of weeks, the bike was sold to another Cnx resident & an attempt was made to transfer the ownership / rego in Chiang Mai at the Motorcycle Div of Land Transport. No problem you'd expect as the bike was already registered in Cnx with a rego transferred from Bkk plus a vehicle inspection. But NO WAY - refused by the Cnx office. The bike rego nos. are not correct. You can keep the bike registered, but no transfer of ownership.

2. An attempt to renew the rego & change address on a 250, already registered in Bkk. Cannot do sir, this bike does not have the correct nos. The rego has been cancelled! Fortunately the owner still has the book, bike & plate, but cannot get the rego renewed or transferred.

The times they are a changing (for the worse?) :cry:

Dec 13, 2003
Hi David,

you wrote: The bike rego nos. are not correct"". Which part is that, engine number, frame number or ?

Also, I heard some bikes are registered in another province and do not pass the strict rules in Chiang Mai so they can not have a Chiang Mai plate. Does that mean those bikes are still legal to drive in Chiang Mai or should you legally transfer to the province you live ?

Hans

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Hans they go by the frame number or at least everytime I have seen them scratch the number that is where they have gotten it from.

Actually logical for a change, engines can blow up and be replaced as a unit.

I beleive they are supposed to be rigistered in the Province you live in. It really is not unusual for them to be registered in a different provience I have seen that on Phantoms, Down side the renewal must done in the provience where it's registered. So bike hops will send the info to, like in my case to Bangkok just takes a, little longer to get the new sticker. In the meantime you have the receipt.

But lots of changes in the air, so we will see. I will move mine this year to Udon.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
hansdeckers wrote: Hi David,

you wrote: The bike rego nos. are not correct"". Which part is that, engine number, frame number or ?

Also, I heard some bikes are registered in another province and do not pass the strict rules in Chiang Mai so they can not have a Chiang Mai plate. Does that mean those bikes are still legal to drive in Chiang Mai or should you legally transfer to the province you live ?

Hans
The bike would have appeared to have been re-stamped, so that the engine & frame nos. match up to something that is / was once registered.
The guys at the Cnx motorcycle rego office have in their computer a list of bike frame / engine nos. with the appropriate photo of the model bike that it should be. If your bike photo does not match up with the bike model photo in their computer you’ve got a problem.

BTW all of this has been discussed many times on GT Rider, in particular at

https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... t1831.html

For those who want to keep discussing “Big Bike Registration Confusion” then it is better to use that thread

https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... t1831.html

as the title is most appropriate.

Then this topic “ Chiang Mai Big Bike Police Crackdown” can be used for news / info on the Chiang Mai big bike police crackdown; otherwise it’s becoming full of junk.

Apr 5, 2007
Is there any information on what has been done with the bikes that have been seized?
My hope (a long shot, I'm sure) is that the police/customs/land transport office will establish some procedure to legalize these bikes if they are not stolen bikes and/or have their invoice documents in order.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
I've noticed a few cops in uinform riding in Udon on some big guys around lately. However I have no idea how they came about them.

I get the drift that once the fees were paid some guys got them back with leagal books.

Other then that I don't have a clue

Apr 14, 2008
ray23 wrote: Let me try my question a different way

Has anyone or someone you know been stopped, with just the invoice showing import taxes paid?
If so was the bike siezed?

I have a book cost me 70K but there are lot of guys here who were told they didn't need one a few years back, which was true a few years back since it wasn't enforced. The economy stinks they are living on fixed incomes that is big chunk of money to them. They have the import Ect, but they a afraid to ride.

So the need an answer they need to know if he bike will be siezed if they get caught up in this.

The only information I can offer at this point is don't go to Pattaya or Chaing Mai, they are not fluent english speakers and can't understand what being posted.

Can anyone offer some help on this one. I frankly don't know
Hi Ray, i was stopped in Bangsaen without a plate but with the invoice papers, got a 500 Baht fine and that was it.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
2wheels wrote: Chiang Mai CityLife magazine recently interviewed Police Commander Major General Sommai Kongvisaisuk and this is what he said about bikes;

" As for unregistered bikes he said, 'These are not legal, in the past we weren't sure if by taking the bikes we'd affect tourism, but now we are enforcing this rule.' Chiang Mai police will take all unregistered bikes off the streets, to get them back you'll have to pay the tax which will most likely be more than the bike cost you. 'We will send the bikes to Customs and they will be registered then auctioned off.' He stated that if anyone had an accident on one of these uninsured bikes that it would cause a major problem. All these bikes will be seized."
From the same article;
"We will have 49 police check points for drunk driving in Chiang Mai province, if you test over 50 mg you will be arrested. There will also be speed check points and helmet check points."
Read Article Here

Jun 1, 2008
If you ride a road legal bike, don't drive under the influence of alcohol, wear a helmet and don't speed, to the cops generally treat you well and leave you in peace?