Chiang Mai-Chiang Khong -luang Prabang-Vientane - Udon

klabu

Oct 11, 2014
Pai
I am planning as trip as described in the Head line ( Chiang Mai-Chiang Khong -luang Prabang-Vientane - Udon) next month on my Honda dream.

would like to have some useful hints for paperwork and if its up to date ok to cross the border with my honda dream and exit again after 2-3 weeks. Any info about border crossings , bad and good experience on the way is appreciated.

best wishes Klaus

Dec 23, 2007
as long as the bike is in ur name.
Buy insurance when u enter Laos
assume ur heading first to Luang Namtha than LP. be prepared for 80 kms of very bad roads

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
klabu;302076 wrote: I am planning as trip as described in the Head line ( Chiang Mai-Chiang Khong -luang Prabang-Vientane - Udon) next month on my Honda dream.

would like to have some useful hints for paperwork and if its up to date ok to cross the border with my honda dream and exit again after 2-3 weeks. Any info about border crossings , bad and good experience on the way is appreciated.

best wishes Klaus

Border crossing info on GTR is here
https://www.gt-rider.com/touring-information-overview/s-e-asian-border-crossings

klabu

Oct 11, 2014
Pai
As chiang kong seems to much hassle i decicded to take Huay Kon any experience there with border crossing further road condition to luang prabang ? I might even try to go from HK to Oudom Xai first and than LP.

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
Ban Huai Kon border crossing is the best of them all. Hardly any tourists at all. Just make all copies of documents before you go there.
There is one shop that copy documents, but the service is bad and expensive.
Have a nice trip.

Sep 15, 2014
Oddvar;302805 wrote: Ban Huai Kon border crossing is the best of them all. Hardly any tourists at all. Just make all copies of documents before you go there.
There is one shop that copy documents, but the service is bad and expensive.
Have a nice trip.
Does have a list of documents needed to be copied for both Thai and Laos side. Are 110cc allowed across. Is 30 days available on HK crossing and is it easy to get 30 days as of February 2015?