Chiang Mai Immigration - Out of Order

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
It seems that they are changing bosses at the Immigration Office. The old one is gone, and the new one has not started yet.

So, until next week there is nobody there that can sign a Certificate of Residence. This is the form you need for getting a drivers license or registering a vehicle.

Only the boss is authorized to sign them. Oh well, this is Thailand.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

Colin

Feb 14, 2005
BobS
You gave me a sleepless night when you posted this as I had just arrived in Bangkok and was on my way to Chiang Mai to pick up my new BMW F650GS and I was having visions of it sitting in VVP for a week awaiting the new Immigration man. Thankfully VVP said I could ride the bike away and next week when he starts the job I will get the documentation from immigration and VVP will then register it. I rode it to Hot then towards Mae Sarieng and up to Doi Inthanon today, Its a much nicer ride on a larger bike than on the wave

Jan 22, 2005
Hi colin,

Welcome to Beemers - they are a nice ride. And Khompol at VVP has done an excellent job for us!

Cheers,
David and Mai
1150RT and 650GS

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Hi Colin

See you at Immigration on Monday. Hope that the new boss shows up.

What color is your 650? If you see a red one, it's mine.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Well, Immigration is up and running. On Monday, they told me definitely next week, but possibly Friday. Called today to check on Friday, and they said come in today.

Things were a bit slow with a group of trainees, but eventually got the certificate of residence.

One positive note - with a new boss, they don't have the graft system set up. The unofficial fee for this certificate had gotten up to 300 baht. Today I paid the official fee - ZERO.

BobS

Colin

Feb 14, 2005
BobS
Mine is yellow, Thanks for the update on immigratiom I will go there in the morning