Chiang Saen - the new bypass to Chiang Rai

Discussion in 'Northern Thailand - Road Trip Reports' started by DavidFL, Aug 25, 2015.

1. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

9 kms downstream from Chiang Saen at Sop Kok they are building a new bypass road R1063 that eventually will link up with the new 4-lane bypass road coming from Chiang Rai

At the moment at the Sop Kok end it looks like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the road is deserted & in race track condition.

It currently runs for 14.5 kms before it runs into the old R1098 which gives you two options, left to Doi Luang & Chiang Rai, or right to R1016 &Mae Chan then Chiang Rai.

On the new forthcoming GTR GT map it looks like this

[​IMG]

note too that at the moment the bridge over the Kok at Sop Kok is being rebuilt & closed, so if you are going Chiang Saen - Chiang Khong you need to take a detour starting / finishing by the Phra That Ngao temple.

2. Loading...

3. Javawa

Javawa Guest

<p>Not sure when you were there the last time but in February this year the new bridge was open for traffic and I rode over it with my truck. At that time the bridge was more or less ready except for some artwork for the opening of the bridge. By the way, the road number for the new road is 1063 (not shown on your map).[​IMG]</p>

4. David Unkovich

David Unkovich Active Member

Thanks for monitoring my posts Auke, FYI I was there 2 days ago + 1 month ago & both times the road was blocked & I was told to use the detour because you can't use the bridge. Whatever the exact bridge issue is I don't know, please go & check it yourself, but you have to use the detour otherwise.

5. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

The new Chiang Rai bypass to link up to eventually link up with Chiang Saen is east or R1 in Chiang Rai & starts 1.5 km south of the new bus station on the super highway. Still under construction, with some finished 4-lane dual carriageway alternating with dirt sections, it currently runs for 21 kms up to R1209, the Ban Den - Tha Klao Pluak road.  Interestingly enough they are building an underpass right outside the airport, but for all the other road junctions you still have to stop at the traffic lights if the lights are red; & for me after one test run you don't appear to save any time at all.  Here is how it is going to look on the new GT map. [​IMG]

note that currently north of the airport, the byapss is generally still dirt.   

6. Javawa

Javawa Guest

<p><p>[quote quote=257954]Thanks for monitoring my posts Auke, FYI I was there 2 days ago + 1 month ago & both times the road was blocked & I was told to use the detour because you can’t use the bridge. Whatever the exact bridge issue is I don’t know, please go & check it yourself, but you have to use the detour otherwise. [/quote]</p><p> </p><p>David, no need to be so defensive - I only mentioned that in February this year, the road and the bridges were ready and open for traffic and I did ride over the bridge with my truck in both directions.</p><p>[​IMG]</p><p>The things they were working on were two fancy poles at the middle of the bridge which probably will be for a kind of memorial plaque for the opening of the bridge.</p><p>[​IMG]</p><p>The bridge may well be closed now for reasons unknown but in February they were open for the public.</p><p> </p><p> </p></p>

7. ianyonok

ianyonok Ol'Timer

The old 2 lane bridge over the Kok river, east of Sob Kham, is being rebuilt into a 4 laner and in fact the old bridge has been completely removed. The present detour on the west side of the river, takes you south off the 1029, past Wat Prathat Pa Ngao and onto the new bypass road, where you can turn left and head east over the new bridge and on to Chiang Khong or right and go west and southwest down to Chiang Rai.

When finished this bypass will be very useful to relieve some of the traffic going north up highway 1 out of Chiang Rai, which is quite congested these days.

8. ianyonok

ianyonok Ol'Timer

This is / was, the old bridge over the Kok river at Sob Kok on 1129, on 8th August 15.[​IMG]

9. Deano747

Deano747 Ol'Timer

Any clues on when this will be finished, or open at least if not quite finished. Late this year?