CNX- Nan- Hong Sa- LPB. Part 1

Feb 8, 2009
January 2010. Very good trip, many km no accident.

Laos border side Meuang Ngeun.
lao1.jpg

Guest house Hong Sa
lao2a.jpg

Hong Sa - LPB 5,5 hours 150 km.

lao.jpg

lao4.jpg

lao5.jpg

lao6.jpg

lao8.jpg

lao9.jpg

lao11.jpg

Down to the Mekong River

lao12.jpg

lao13.jpg

Feb 8, 2009
Breakfast in LPB

lao14.jpg

Louang Phra Bang

laolpg.jpg

lao23.jpg

Way to Vieng Thong

lape4.jpg

Action with a very wild and fast pig....
apig400.jpg

lapeter.jpg

latiger.jpg

Guesthouse in Vieng Thong

laviengtho.jpg

Feb 8, 2009
The tempel in MOUANG KHOUN destroid in the Vietnam War

lao17.jpg

The road to Tha Viang is now under construction - Vietnames Company

lao18.jpg

img2354t.jpg

Some to heavy...

img2402i.jpg

...and some drive crazy.

img2673ce.jpg

The bridge 2 years ago in Tha Viang

labridge.jpg

And now change...

lao19.jpg

Cold Town Xaysomboune early in the morning.

lasyso.jpg

Vang Vien

cimg3993kopie.jpg

Lao Submarine !!!

lasubmarine.jpg

lao20.jpg

Kasi district...
lao21.jpg

And back to LPB...
lapeter5.jpg

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
Nice report and photos angkor1.

By your report, you rode from Viang Leng to HWY 13 on the road that goes through Xaysombourne and Nam Gnome.
Three friends and myself were prevented from using this road in November by the army.
xaysomboune-road-november-2009-t6702.html

Did you have any problems at all?

Thanks Moto-Rex

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
It seems to be a great place to ride and to take wonderful pictures. I was impressed by both. I am considering my first motorcycle visit to the neighbouring country. What worries me, when I see your pictures are the bikes. You are all on off-road machines and it seems that the trails deserves it. I just sold my AX1 and wonder how safe I would be in this county on an ER6n, particularly alone (and I am not quite fanatic of long dirt tracks). Any suggestions about suitable itineraries? Thank you in advance to all bikers who got the experience already.

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
2wheels wrote: Jurgen,
Horses for courses really.
From my experience, if you are not considering long, dirt tracks your ER6n would be ideal.
If you look at my Laos trip report you will see that, apart from what was then a rough stretch into Luang Namtha, the roads
were good. They were also mountainous and the grunt of my 750 came in handy, as would the ER6n.
So, I'd say your bike is suitable; comfortable, fuel range, grunt for mountains and excellent on good roads.
Regards
Thank you :) ... I also went through the reports of David and it seems OK. Of course I do not mind some roads "under construction". We also find them here. But some tracks (and river crossings) seemed harsh in some reports, it is probably a question of itinerary and I will certainly not begin with the most adventurous, particularly as I am usually driving alone. It is great to be able to draw on information resources of GT riders. I will be doing some more home work :) and be happy for all hints.

Feb 8, 2009
By your report, you rode from Viang Leng to HWY 13 on the road that goes through Xaysombourne and Nam Gnome.
Three friends and myself were prevented from using this road in November by the army.
Sorry Moto Rex I answer late because I was in NZ. Yes we started in Phongsawan - Vieng Leng - Xaysoumboune - Nam Gnome, Tha Heua Road 13. This was not my first trip in this aerea. Nearly 10 times we are there. Until last year we got some problems with the police in Xaysomboune. Last year the came late in the evening in our hotel and they take all passports from the group. A friend ( guide ) from Green Discovery was with us. We used paper by the law of Lao for travell around. In the morning we payed some money to the police and mooved to Vang Vien. Later the army stopped us again. It takes 30 minute, they check the paper nearly 30 minutes and we started again. This year when we arrived in Xaysoboune the police waiting for us. This time they had some question to us. They dont want the passport. They told us now this aerea is dangerous. They ask us where we have dinner. Most time we eat in a small restaurant on the local market place. So the police gave us order not longer then 9 pm to stay there. Ok, at 9.30 we are in the hotel and make a small party. Next morning on the way to Tha Heua we saw all villages at the road was burned down. When I arrived in the first big village I was confuse. Smoke everywhere and maybe 50 big trucks behind the village. Full with the equipment from the village people. Many people waiting there for transport too somewhere. Our Laofriend ask the people whats happen. They told him the goverment building a new dam and everybody have to moove. But they dont know where the stay in the future. It gave us not so a good feeling. 3 other village was the same. No pictures allowed because there are many soldiers and police too. I think this nice aerea is now vorewer closed. :cry: Sorry for my english .... :mrgreen: but I hope you undersatnd what I mean. :crazy:

King of Jars

Subscribed
Feb 27, 2008
Nong Khai
angkor1 wrote: By your report, you rode from Viang Leng to HWY 13 on the road that goes through Xaysombourne and Nam Gnome.
Sorry Moto Rex I answer late because I was in NZ. Yes we started in Phongsawan - Vieng Leng - Xaysoumboune - Nam Gnome, Tha Heua Road 13. This was not my first trip in this aerea. Nearly 10 times we are there. Until last year we got some problems with the police in Xaysomboune. Last year the came late in the evening in our hotel and they take all passports from the group. A friend ( guide ) from Green Discovery was with us. We used paper by the law of Lao for travell around. In the morning we payed some money to the police and mooved to Vang Vien. Later the army stopped us again. It takes 30 minute, they check the paper nearly 30 minutes and we started again. This year when we arrived in Xaysoboune the police waiting for us. This time they had some question to us. They dont want the passport. They told us now this aerea is dangerous. They ask us where we have dinner. Most time we eat in a small restaurant on the local market place. So the police gave us order not longer then 9 pm to stay there. Ok, at 9.30 we are in the hotel and make a small party. Next morning on the way to Tha Heua we saw all villages at the road was burned down. When I arrived in the first big village I was confuse. Smoke everywhere and maybe 50 big trucks behind the village. Full with the equipment from the village people. Many people waiting there for transport too somewhere. Our Laofriend ask the people whats happen. They told him the goverment building a new dam and everybody have to moove. But they dont know where the stay in the future. It gave us not so a good feeling. 3 other village was the same. No pictures allowed because there are many soldiers and police too. I think this nice aerea is now vorewer closed. :cry: Sorry for my english .... :mrgreen: but I hope you undersatnd what I mean. :crazy:
Well, this seems to be the flip side of the coin; witnesses similar stories in the Nakai plateau North of Glommarat (Khammouane province/east of Thakaek) when they started with the Nam Theun 2 water dam. Officially USD 2'000 were billed to the WorldBank for relocation; factually truck uplifted their meagre belongings and you do not want to go into the whereabouts of the pay out.