Cooling Vests

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by mikerust, Nov 18, 2006.

1. mikerust

mikerust Ol'Timer

Has anyone seen those evaporative vests on sale in Thailand? The ones one soaks in water before using.

Appologies if this is a repeat of an old thread.
  2. Loading...

3. brat

brat Ol'Timer

Evaporative vests would be a waste of time for riding as they would last 1 to 3 hours (depending on ambient temp) and are wet.

A better vest would be those that have change technology (ie freeze then turn to liquid) that last longer, are dry, don't cause cardio-vascular constriction (operate at 15 degrees or slightly higher) and can have spare cool packs stored dry in a wine cooler etc.

The change tech ones are dearer but far better.
  4. BignTall

BignTall Ol'Timer

I used to soak my t-shirts under my perforated leathers for a cooling effect. Works well for about 20-30 minutes then diminishing returns, as noted by Brat. The poor mans version of the evaporative vest.

Per your question, no I have not seen them for sale over here.

When I raced cars we had "Cool shirts" that pumped ice water around a vest under your driving suit. These worked quite well in 147 degree driver compartment. Carrying the required cooler, pump, and fluids inside a race car is no problem. On the back of a bike, not ideal.