CRF250M on sale already?

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Changnoi1;288879 wrote:

Well I think I can buy here one for you...i
That's the question: can you buy one up there or not yet? I assumed the M would be available at the Bangkok Motorshow where they would take deposits, and pick one up a few days later.

That would make sense, that would be the reason why they told me to wait.

Can you check with your dealer?

I wouldn't worry about getting both feet on the ground. I remember the tall XR650L I had, I had to lean it to the left at a red light to be able to get the tip of one foot on the ground. never bothered me, but I loved to be able to see over the top of the cars in front of me, that's a big advantage!

Nov 21, 2010
The main dealer in KK had 2 M's in the showroom and 1 just being delivered and as far as I understood I could pay & play.
I you are seriously interested I can have a look at the dealer here.

As you "both feet on the ground" .... currently I ride an (lowered) Versys and I hate it that I can not go play in the field or small off-roads tracks because of not being able to hold a 210kg bike when I can not put my feet on the ground properly. And yes I have been looking to the CB500F (naked model) but that is still too less difference of the Versys.

Chang Noi

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Well I wouldn't even try to take a big Versys off-road, even my XR650L was a bit too big and heavy for my taste.
A big bike like that you have to know what you're doing, if you just want to play a bit take a lighter 250!

Thanks for the offer but I have to wait anyway, the Thai guy who said yesterday he'd buy my CBR150, it's a deal, shake hands, called today and said that "it is not a good day to buy a bike".

Interesting: why would they tell me to wait one or two weeks if the bikes are available? Are they backordered?

Dec 27, 2007
Changnoi1;288883 wrote: The main dealer in KK had 2 M's in the showroom and 1 just being delivered and as far as I understood I could pay & play.
I you are seriously interested I can have a look at the dealer here.

As you "both feet on the ground" .... currently I ride an (lowered) Versys and I hate it that I can not go play in the field or small off-roads tracks because of not being able to hold a 210kg bike when I can not put my feet on the ground properly. And yes I have been looking to the CB500F (naked model) but that is still too less difference of the Versys.

Chang Noi
If I may add my two satang, I reckon it's not just the height of the Versys that makes you reluctant to go offroad, but likely also the weight?

A CRF-M will be a LOT lighter which should give you more confidence. Plus if you drop the CRF it won't be nearly as much work to lift it back up.

The new CB500F is almost as heavy as the Versys, but should be quite a bit shorter, no? CB500X a bit shorter than a Versys but still quite heavy.

Reckon next time you're in CM you ought to rent a few different bikes and see which one fits you best. The height and weight of the CRF-M should be very similar to the D-Tracker. Only downside is that the 250's aren't much fun for long distance rides on major roads and are woefully underpowered for riding 2-up. But if you keep to smaller roads and shorter distances I reckon a CRF-M might suit your needs.

Happy Trails!

Tony :happy1:

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
^ All valid points, the weight is a main issue, even a XR650L is too heavy in the dirt for the average rider in Thailand.
I once read a report in one of those rider mags, they took a 250, a 450 and a 650 off road, really tight stuff, and the 250 won simply because it was the lightest and most easy to handle.
I read another test, they took a Porsche Cayenne off road and added a Suzuki Samurai as a joke, more or less.
But they were very surprised that the Suzuki did things almost as well as the over-computerized and heavy Porsche Cayenne.
Yes, enduros are not good for long distances, especially at speed since you sit on top like a sail on a boat. A faired bike with more power sure would be more fun.
But I did 1,200km on my Nouvo 135 in six days, 500km on the first and then back on the last - it's all possible! Doing 500km a day on a CRF250M would be riding in comfort.
Some people ride thousands of miles, even cross continents and spend weeks and months on a 250. Those are riders I really admire, real adventurers.
I see lots of rich Malaysian riders coming up here on KTM990s and BMW GS and other comfortable, big bikes - anybody with a lot of money can do that!

Nov 21, 2010
Hahaha very nice highjacking of an post ....
Indeed you are partly right Tony about the weight of the Versys. It is the weight that makes it a bit more difficult to ride off-road anyway. And in combination with my short legs the weight becomes a problem when playing on single-track or just at an emergency stop at un-even ground. And in that respect even the new CB500F is too heavy (too bad otherwise I was riding one now).

On the highway from Khon Kaen to Nam Nao the Versys is great & smooth, easy to overtake an car or truck. But once at Nam Nao I would like to shrink the bike and get off-road. But little bit more power as an 250 would be nice. I did ride a D-tracker and was very disappointed by the lack of power. I had an Yamaha XT250 and also that was a lacking in power (on the road, not off-road).

Chang Noi

Dec 27, 2007
Changnoi1;288905 wrote: Hahaha very nice highjacking of an post ....
Indeed you are partly right Tony about the weight of the Versys. It is the weight that makes it a bit more difficult to ride off-road anyway. And in combination with my short legs the weight becomes a problem when playing on single-track or just at an emergency stop at un-even ground. And in that respect even the new CB500F is too heavy (too bad otherwise I was riding one now).

On the highway from Khon Kaen to Nam Nao the Versys is great & smooth, easy to overtake an car or truck. But once at Nam Nao I would like to shrink the bike and get off-road. But little bit more power as an 250 would be nice. I did ride a D-tracker and was very disappointed by the lack of power. I had an Yamaha XT250 and also that was a lacking in power (on the road, not off-road).

Chang Noi
Yes, the stock 250cc Hondas and Kwackas are woefully underpowered, but there are many things you can do to improve performance.

A stock CRFL / KLX makes around 18Hp. With minor mods (exhaust, airbox, timing, ecu) you can get that up to ~21-25. Throw in a big bore and you can nearly double the power of the Kwacka 250:

Big bore kits will soon be available for the Honda 250s as well.

:happy1:

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Changnoi1;288905 wrote: Hahaha very nice highjacking of an post ....

Chang Noi
Never mind the hijacking, I could talk bikes all day!

Too bad that Honda followed Kawasaki by "copying" their models.

They should develop a 400cc single with 30hp and bring out a simple, cheap, naked standard bike.

A CRF400 would also make sense. Bridge the gap between 18hp of the 250s and 45hp of the 500s.

400cc would also make sense for the Japanese market.

Nov 21, 2010
As I am seriously interested in the CRF250M I had another look at the bike today. They still had 1 in the showroom and I could take it home right now for 142k incl. red-plate, tax and insurance.

The bike is much to high for me and I think even after lowering it 1-inch (what should be very easy to do) I think it is still to high. Is it higher as the D-tracker 250?
Seat hight is said to be 855.

I had a look at the chain ..... DID 520 VF .....
Probably you could put a bit more off-road oriented tyre on the 17inch rims.
And change the exhaust to lower a bit of 145kg weight.

Chang Noi

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
If anyone wants to Buy a Bike to use Off Road but think they are Too Short why bother with a Motard version??? Just Buy a CRF or KLX and Lower it? There isn't much difference between the two anyway Bring the Front Forks up through the Triple Clamps, Buy a Lowering Link or Fabricate one for the Rear Shock and away You go? You are Compromising Yourself More by buying a Bike with 17inch wheels then looking for Off Road Tires? Defeats the Logic of the Entire Exercise???

Jul 8, 2011
NickyBKK;288880 wrote: Changnoi you need a CB500X :D
It seems that you look for the tallest bike on the market and then start saying it is to high for me..:lol-sign:

After reading a bit more I think you need a Kawasaki Z250 (with some Pirelli MT60 tires or so)

Or a KLX 150..

Aug 29, 2011
Today I was given a 5 minute test ride on a CRF250M. Quick blast around the block etc! Great looking bike btw :thumbup:

Very disappointing.....engine seems to have about the same lack of power as a stock D-Tracker but the suspension is super soggy & very bouncy, the stock D-Tracker suspension is better believe it or not!!

This is not a SuperMotard......it just looks like one! :thumbdown:

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Just got back from a 2,900 km vacation trip, Songkhla - Hua Hin - Ranong - Phuket - Songkhla. In Ranong they had the M next to the L and I swung a leg over each.

The L sank in right away and felt like a rocking horse when I pulled the front brakes and monkeyed around on it.

The M felt like a street bike when I sat down, only a bit softer when pushed. I liked it that it wasn't as soft as the L, it doesn't need to be.

Wish I could try it out on the street but I guess Honda doesn't need to offer test rides, they sell them anyway.

Maybe the Tracker is better but put my money on the Honda; they never disappointed me if you don't expect too much for the money... it's not a KTM that's for sure! :)

Jan 4, 2014
Price of the CRF250M in my local Honda dealer in Phrakhanong today, ฿138,000, all in (plate, tax, insurance). I'm tempted too by this bike...

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
I bought mine in August and I'm very happy with it.

If you are used to 250cc size, don't need more than 20 horses or need to go much faster than 100km/h, this is the bike to get.

Better suspension and seating position than the CBR; if you want a small sports bike get a Ninja 300! :)

Jan 4, 2014
Have any owners of the CRF250M successfully fitted on-off road tyres to this model in Thailand? I've looked at Pirelli's Scorpion Trail or even the soft MT 60's as suitable contenders but neither appear to be available to fit the M's stock rim size.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Craig