D-Tracker 250 Fork springs rear shock spring REAL dimensions!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Joelthailand, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Joelthailand

Joelthailand Ol'Timer

I have had the fork springs fitted for about 5 months & the rear spring fitted this month & I am super happy with the results.

Anyone that has riden a stock D-Tracker knows the bike is like a bouncy castle with horrible spongy forks that dive into the ground like their made of jelly. The rear end can be beefed up by fully adjusting the pre-load rings & clickers but this still isn't enough for fast hard riding & makes the bike ride very bumpy/jittery when riding normally due to a over woundup rear spring. The forks & rear shock are quality KYB adjustable units but suffer from very weak unprogressive springs.

There wasn't a company in the world that could sell me upgrade springs for my D-Tracker!! YSS suspension (Thailand) knew nothing, infact useless & could not help me. Racetech suspension (USA) didn't want to help me & we're pretty vague & unhelpful on emails on anything D-Tracker. No seller on ebay was prepared to guarantee their springs would fit a D-Tracker!!
    John at Moto-pro (USA) was my last resort. He is super helpful on emails & spent weeks researching the spring sizes for my bike, based on the SF model in the US. He & I we're happy to take the gamble & his spring predictions for my bike, my weight & riding style were spot on! I bet he gets it right for you as well.

The new springs & clicker settings has given this bike a genuine very firm but progressively plush ride. It feels like a KTM or a Husky now!!! Jumping from my bike onto a standard original D-Tracker is absolutely night & day in comparison.....in fact it would be rude to compare them.

Your looking at about $90usd for the front fork springs & about $110usd for the rear spring & you wouldn't believe how well worth the upgrade is, as power is worth nothing without a great handling bike.

btw a compression tool is not needed to fit rear spring...just a heavy vice & 2 strong guys!! Hold the top of the shock with the vice & get 2 guys to pull the spring back (maybe less than 0.5cm in needed) & this makes it possible to catch the pre-load rings onto the thread & just start rotating like normal. Takes 10 minutes :thumbup:

FRONT fork springs:
    First thing is to thank John at Moto Pro for getting me the perfect springs for my D-Tracker (SF).

Fitted the .52kg/mm fork springs about 5 months ago & they have stopped the diving & given me back the correct ride height & sag. Put some new 5wt oil in while the forks were off & set the clickers to 7 from firmest & it's actually quite a nice firm SuperMotard ride but a surprisingly comfortable plush ride over the bumpy stuff now as well.

I would recommend even with a lighter weight rider....maybe 180-190lbs a .48kg/mm would be good. A .50kg/mm for a 200-210lbs rider & a 0.52kg/mm for a 220+lbs rider. Ask John if you don't like my estimates!

[​IMG]

These above spring will fit any D-Tracker (SF) perfectly. Any Kawasaki mechanic or good Thai mechanic can fit them in less than 2 hours including fork oil change....easy

Can't stop riding like a nutter at the moment with lots of slamming the brakes on!! For a 230lbs man, this makes for fast riding almost magical....finally the D-Tracker rides like a proper SuperMotard.

REAR shock spring:

This is a heavy duty rear spring for the SF.

It's a 7.4kg/mm & that's what John @ MotoPro recommended for me. I'm 235lbs & wanted a firm ride for fast SuMo road riding! It is not to hard for the record & still needed 1cm of pre-load ring winding on the spring to make it perfect for me.
    Clicker settings are a personal thing....I think i added 4 extra clicks of harder compression & 6 extra clicks of harder rebound & bingo!

I wouldn't recommend getting less than 6.4kg/mm even for a light weight rider.

I think the angle of the linkage is different on the S to the SF which means the spring is harder of the SF, as there is more leverage etc....I think!! In fact there are probably only less than a handful of Japanese Kawasaki engineers on the planet that know all the spec differences between an S, SF & D-Tracker-X models. :crazy: .....that's why I let John do the calculations for me!!

This is the spring John sent me:

[​IMG]

The original D-Tracker spring below, off my bike!
    [​IMG]

This spring has a very nice progressive feel & still absorbs the little bumps very well but comes into it's own when I start throwing the bike into undulating fast twisty corners. Feels fantastic & has great predictable handling. :thumbup:

Can actually have a normal sized pillion passenger on the back without having the bike sitting to low or bottoming out on bumpy corners anymore. :thumbup:

Kurb-hopping & jumping speed humps at 70+km/h is effortless. :thumbup:

Slamming on the brakes at 140km/h is now safe, predictable & easy......does not dive into the ground!! :happy2:

2. Loading...

3. Ian Bungy

Ian Bungy Ol'Timer

Wow! Great Info Joel, thanks for Sharing! No Doubt they could do the Same for the KLX and the Honda CRF?

4. Joelthailand

Joelthailand Ol'Timer

The KLX S is easy, everyone has those spring measurements.....No one had any idea about the D-Tracker! I'm sure John can get springs for the CRF.

I would have liked to use YSS suspension (Thailand) in the 1st place & saved some money on shipping but they were completely clueless as to D-Tracker spring sizes or tensions! With the dimension & tension info in my post, it would be easy to get YSS to make anyone fork springs or a rear springs now.

I've done the investigating (leg work) & the gambling on springs turning up from America to fit & work on a D-Tracker. To anyone on this forum, just quote my spring length measurements & the spring tensions in relation to my/your body weight/tensions kg/mm etc to any suspension company & they can make them up for you & your done! Easy 8)

5. Joelthailand

Joelthailand Ol'Timer

A friend of mine just bought a YSS fully adjustable rear shock for this D-Tracker. Good build quality, he picked it up for 12,000thb from Kawasaki Pattaya.

When it's been setup properly & had a few weeks of riding, I will let you guys know what my friend thinks with a ride report.

[​IMG]