D Tracker/KLX 250 Owners Thread

Aug 29, 2011
KLX331 Crazy;279449 wrote: Hi Guys, is anyone out there running the FMF mega bomb and FMF muffler?? I would like to hear what you think of them?? I am currently running a full 2bros carbon exhaust but have read a bit on the mega bomb and the advantages that may be gained, before i fork out the $$ Iwould like to hear it straight from the camels mouth so to speak :).
I'm running the FMF mega bomb and FMF Q4 muffler & very happy with the power results (I originally had a 2bro slip-on & the noise was unacceptable around town & my neighbors hated me). I don't think you will gain any power from changing a full 2bros system....maybe a tiny tiny bit more low/mid torque form the mega bomb header but IMO not worth changing unless you need quieter sound levels because the police have warned you to....lol !!

Apr 8, 2011
Joel,

Thanks for the reply, I forgot to mention that I have a 331 kit and PCV installed, so it may make a bit more of a difference. I am currently chasing pricing from local suppliers for the mega bomb header pipe.

Aug 29, 2011
KLX331 Crazy;279486 wrote: Joel,

Thanks for the reply, I forgot to mention that I have a 331 kit and PCV installed, so it may make a bit more of a difference. I am currently chasing pricing from local suppliers for the mega bomb header pipe.
I guessed your bike was a 331, KLX331 Crazy was a good clue...lol

Snap.....I got the 331 kit installed as well with the APi programmable ecu!! If it was me & noise wasn't an issue, I would cut the header off the 2bros & attach the mega bomb. There is no way an fmf slip-on has more power than a 2bros slip-on IMHO but the mega bomb will make a small difference in the torque department & plus will reduce the sound level from your 2bros buy a decibel or so. Beware about burning your skin/trousers, it does stick out further than a standard header. I bought a pro-carbon heat shield off ebay & it works perfectly.....no burns in a year of use!!
Good luck

Aug 29, 2011
paulwilson;279451 wrote: don't no about any difference in power because the D tracker is so underpowered its a joke on wheels .
haha paul your not wrong, a standard(ish) d-tracker is a bit of a joke powerwise!! I have the unlimited APi ecu (works well with my 331 kit), so unless your putting on a big bore kit.......don't bother.

The APi is very complicated to tune with for starters, as all parameters of the engine can be adjusted!! A simple way to adjust the fuel MAP on your laptop with the power commander 5 is way simpler unless your an iT genius or a super nerd or speak fluent Thai (like they do at APi).......

A power comander 5 or EJK piggyback controller would be far more suited to you & your bike imho.

May 24, 2012
Joelthailand;279510 wrote: haha paul your not wrong, a standard(ish) d-tracker is a bit of a joke powerwise!! I have the unlimited APi ecu (works well with my 331 kit), so unless your putting on a big bore kit.......don't bother.

The APi is very complicated to tune with for starters, as all parameters of the engine can be adjusted!! A simple way to adjust the fuel MAP on your laptop with the power commander 5 is way simpler unless your an iT genius or a super nerd or speak fluent Thai (like they do at APi).......

A power comander 5 or EJK piggyback controller would be far more suited to you & your bike imho.
sounds too complicated for me , think ill just sell it , thinking about getting a Gas Gas EC300 for off road , so ill need to start saving !!

Aug 29, 2011
After changing a headlight bulb this week on my SF (D-Tracker), the H4 bulb talked about on the usual American KLX forums will not fit!! American model has a single bulb. It would be an easy mistake to make if looking on different forums.

The H4 will not fit any Asian spec EFi S or SF (D-Tracker) twin bulb model.

The EFi Asian spec bike is a twin bulb H6M fitment at 30w/30w power rating! If you want to upgrade to a brighter bulb then search for H6M Super White Xenon Headlight Bulb, these bulbs are actually rated at 35w/35w & emit the brightness equivalent of 70w/70w.

The bulbs in the picture below will fit & work great.

281785=11882-H6m%20bulb.jpg

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
you can get them on ebay in the UK but there appears to be 2 types of H6M bulb. the ones I got have the filaments the wrong way round. So the main beam operates when on dipped lighting and visa versa. so becareful

A P15D-25-1 and 25-3. I'll have to figure out which one I have.

Aug 29, 2011
Lakota;281788 wrote: A P15D-25-1 and 25-3. I'll have to figure out which one I have.
Good point Lakota.

I bought a HID plazma xenon bulb (P15D-25-1) in Big C supermarket & it was high beam operates when on dipped lighting and visa versa!! For around 200THB.

So a H6M P15D-25-1 bulb from a Thai supermarket is to be avoided! Mine are from ebay & did not have any numbers on them like P15D-25-1 or P15D-25-3.....annoying or what!

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
So perhaps I have the 25-1 too. that would be sort of Logical.
so maybe its the 25-3 we need.

Aug 29, 2008
Captain_Slash;281787 wrote: Thats good to know, does anyone know where these H6M Super White Xenon Headlight Bulbs are stocked in Chiang Mai?
you might find similar bulbs down chang moi on the right(past preeda) opposite the machine shop.
The ones I have are Club xenon halogen bulb12v 35w/35w about 40bt ea but better than original
If anyone knows where I can get better one please let us know.

Aug 29, 2011
In the picture below:

1. Bought in Thailand from supermarket for a little less than 200THB......High / Low beam is reversed......no good!!

2. Bought form ebay at $20 for a set of two bulbs.......not very focused beam, even though they seem brighter.....no good!!

281972=11947-h6m%20bulbs%20(Small).jpg

After riding with the eagle bulbs (2.) for a couple of days, i have fitted the standard Kawasaki bulbs back in my bike as they seem to have a better more focused beam of light than the aftermarket bulbs. I have completely wasted my time & some money trying to find a better set of bulbs for my bike. Most bulbs seem to work in reverse ie, high is low & low is high or the bulbs are bighter but wishy washy in their beam pattern. BTW also tried riding with bulbs positioned in holder upside down (turned 180 degres) made them both worse.

In summery I can tell you all.......don't waste your time unless your super sure about what you are buying!!!!!!!! I hate to admit defeat but these stupid bulbs have won :thumbdown:

Aug 29, 2008
I like the upside downness,as I have an off switch for the lights.
Now when the dip beam is on, I see the light,good for daytime roads, and at night I know if it's on or not anyway

Mar 11, 2012
I found I was getting hand / thumb cramps on my dtracker so fitted zeta adjustable levers which helped a lot. No matter how often I use the clutch now my left hand is fine, but on long twisty trips my right hand, namely the thumb is starting to suffer.Thinking about changing out the stock grips as I think they are kinda crap. Any recommendations on what to change them for?Cheers

Jul 15, 2012
Sharktooth;285650 wrote: I found I was getting hand / thumb cramps on my dtracker so fitted zeta adjustable levers which helped a lot. No matter how often I use the clutch now my left hand is fine, but on long twisty trips my right hand, namely the thumb is starting to suffer.Thinking about changing out the stock grips as I think they are kinda crap. Any recommendations on what to change them for?Cheers
my thumb get numb after a hour on the highway too

Mar 11, 2012
yankee99;285723 wrote: my thumb get numb after a hour on the highway too
Nah man, I'm talking about 4 hour trips and longer on roads when I am up and down on the throttle every few minutes

Mar 10, 2013
Hello everyone, I am buying a 2007 Tracker tomorrow and am looking for other owners to know what these bikes are about.

It's got about 6000km on it and runs fine.

Who makes the 331 kit? Is it a stroker and a bore? Seems like a big cc increase from just an overbore.

The owner said the all the plastic on it except the piece over the headlight kind of fuzzed up and now it looks like someone took some sandpaper to it. Any vendors selling f&r fenders and side panels for this bike online that can be trusted etc?

Cheers

Dec 4, 2012
07_Tracker;288297 wrote: Hello everyone, I am buying a 2007 Tracker tomorrow and am looking for other owners to know what these bikes are about.

It's got about 6000km on it and runs fine.

Who makes the 331 kit? Is it a stroker and a bore? Seems like a big cc increase from just an overbore.

The owner said the all the plastic on it except the piece over the headlight kind of fuzzed up and now it looks like someone took some sandpaper to it. Any vendors selling f&r fenders and side panels for this bike online that can be trusted etc?

Cheers
Just go to Kawasaki dealer, plastics are stupidly cheap. I got front mudguard and complete headlight surround posted to me for around 800bht. Maybe they made a mistake but I ain't complaining.

Dec 4, 2012
Just thought I'd show off me KLX
//i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y495/jimmyrennie/WP_000041_zps01ab2957.jpg[/IMG]//i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y495/jimmyrennie/WP_000046_zps653c7d3a.jpg[/IMG]

Mar 10, 2013
jimmyklx;289161 wrote: Just go to Kawasaki dealer, plastics are stupidly cheap. I got front mudguard and complete headlight surround posted to me for around 800bht. Maybe they made a mistake but I ain't complaining.
Ya I would except I am in the Philippines and the dealers can't order anything for the 250 D-Tracker

I've caught up on which mods to do for the most part now including the various big bore kits etc, and will be getting the jets and K&N to finish up the easy mods in the next 30 days. It already has a White Bros Supertrapp-style muffler (6 discs?) on it with a headpipe that was made by RSV Competition according to the metal badge on it. Looks like that's out of Japan.

I am though still looking for part numbers for the original spokes that came on the 2007
D-Tracker. The previous owner added an 18/21 wheel and tire set and he cannot find the original spokes..

My particular Tracker was made in Thailand according to the badge on the steering neck.

I guess it's a two pronged problem? Finding the part numbers for the 2007 D-Tracker f&r spokes and then finding a dealer who will ship them via EMS to the Philippines :(

If anyone can be of assitance I'd surely appreciate it

May 13, 2013
Surprise - after two months the previous owner of my 2007 250 D-Tracker showed up at my gate with the spokes he'd had taken off it when he converted to 18/21 wheels and tires :clap:

But alas I am missing one of the back spokes.. My access to parts for these bikes via US parts networks only begins with the 2009 KLX250SF.

So I am wondering if someone with a 2009 250 D-Tracker can measure their back spoke diameter? My rear spokes appear to be a little over 3mm or very close to .125 inch

If you could measure your back spoke diameter, I might know if the spoke I can order is the correct diameter. Assuming Asia market and US market spokes are the same items, which isn't guaranteed

May 13, 2013
Kawasaki Tracker;290231 wrote: Surprise - after two months the previous owner of my 2007 250 D-Tracker showed up at my gate with the spokes he'd had taken off it when he converted to 18/21 wheels and tires :clap:But alas I am missing one of the back spokes.. My access to parts for these bikes via US parts networks only begins with the 2009 KLX250SF.
So I am wondering if someone with a 2009 250 D-Tracker can measure their back spoke diameter? My rear spokes appear to be a little over 3mm or very close to .125 inch
If you could measure your back spoke diameter, I might know if the spoke I can order is the correct diameter. Assuming Asia market and US market spokes are the same items, which isn't guaranteed
Information I am getting says that '09 250 D Tracker spokes are larger, so they aren't the same thing I am looking for anyway..

If anyone has any '07 250 D_Tracker rear spokes to sell let me know. It'll be almost 3 months before my spare hubs from ebay get here, so there's time to hunt around for the one spoke I need

May 13, 2013
Well it looks like these rear spokes are 3.5mm

But that depends on whether the nipples that came still attached to the 17" rims are in their correct wheel. I say that because the 2007 KLX250S has spokes that are two different diameters and two different lengths...if Kawasaki just added 17" rims to the KLX S hubs wouldn't the 17 rim also have two different lengths in the back?

I was given two bundles of spokes by the previous owner, but there's no way of knowing if all the spokes in one bundle to one wheel, and all the spokes in the other bundle went to the remaining wheel.

These parts could be all mixed up as I received them.

So, if someone with a 2006 or 2007 250 D-Tracker could measure their rear spoke diameter-seeing if the Tracker rear spokes are equal in diameter side to side, it would help me a lot. Especially when it's finally time to start assembling my spare hubs to the OE wheels

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
Fuel tank question.
The dtracker apparently holds 7.7 litres of fuel.
But how many liters does the tank hold once it hits reserve tank?
Ive been timing the fuel usage, and i say i get roughly between 150-160km out of shell v-power before the fuel light comes on.
Would be good to know how much i have left in the tank once it hits reserve, so i can work out how many km i have left to find a gas station.
Thanks..

Apr 3, 2011
ZCM;300374 wrote: Fuel tank question.
The dtracker apparently holds 7.7 litres of fuel.
But how many liters does the tank hold once it hits reserve tank?
Ive been timing the fuel usage, and i say i get roughly between 150-160km out of shell v-power before the fuel light comes on.
Would be good to know how much i have left in the tank once it hits reserve, so i can work out how many km i have left to find a gas station.
Thanks..
Visit a gas station right after you see your fuel light come on, and see how much you can fill up in the tank. When I did that, the reserve by my calculations was about 2.5l.
So in theory you can expect 75-80km on reserve, but in practice when the fuel gets really low the bike can't go full throttle, maybe not all of the fuel is easily accessible by the fuel pump.

Lucky you - on my KLX I'm only getting 130-140km before the fuel light comes on. And for safety I plan my reserve as another 50-60km (respectively).