D-Tracker or KLX - Which one?

Oct 2, 2009
Just about to book some bikes for a trip but wonder which one you'd go for and why - Kawasaki D Tracker 250 or KLX 250?

Cheers
G

Nov 2, 2008
D-Tracker, biased as I have one and enjoy it plenty. Rented both, my initial impression was to buy the KLX for the cushy suspension and normal ride height I was used to, and my enjoyment of trail riding. Didn’t because; I found the DT a more confident bike to drive on pavement, found so many roads are paved unlike western Canada, and having a battered spine realize my off road riding will never be as frequent as it once was.

So depends on what you want, if you’re on road in Thailand and under 6’1â€

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
fishenough, you rode both bikes, maybe you can enlighten me on the difference of the suspension and seat height - the Tracker's is an inch shorter which makes it lower, how much of a difference does it make?
I've had the KLX in the US and put Pirelli MT60s on it, loved it around town, never took it in the dirt. So I think for me the Tracker would be the ideal bike, as long as it has the soft suspension and high seat height.

Nov 2, 2008
KZ the D-Tracker is a little lower of course, I too found the KLX fine for my height and easy to drive. The firmer suspension on the D-Tracker just felt better on twisty tarmac and an improvement for weaving around traffic. There are really the same bike just different from suspension down to the road, can’t remember noting different gearing but another factor was the D-Trackers stronger front brake. It just came down to where most of my riding would be; heck when I get a chance to explore Laos better I'll rent a KLX to ride, throwing on my wider comfy seat first.

At 16,000km my tires are down to the wear indicators and I’m tempted to re-shoe with the MT90’s.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
I watched a video of the D-Tracker pulling wheelies and it looks like it has plenty wheeltravel and almost off-rode like suspension. I loved the seat height of my XR650L, even though I couldn't put my feet flat on the ground I never had a problem.
Pirelli MT90s sound good, I heard they're about the same as Metzeler tourance, but cheaper. Are they available in the right size for the Tracker?
Btw, there's a 2010 Tracker 125 for the european market.

Nov 2, 2008
Almost but not quite, but with its low seat height adds confidence when riding the tricky stuff. More so now that I'm not so 'gun it and go' when riding over rough stuff. The 8 to 9 inches of travel makes for a nice bent knee with the bike stopped, and with a higher seat and rubber foot pads removed fits me nicely. Easier on the spine with at least that much travel.

That's likley one of the biggest stand outs between the two I found, the KLX has the common steel pegs. The inch high foot peg inserts on the DT are worthless, they squirm when putting your foot on or well standing, which for me was a nasty feeling well climbing a rutted track. If your bothered by the vibes coming through the soles of your boots keep them, otherwise take them off. If any KLX owner feels that way, they can have mine (not sure why I haven't thrown them out).