ER-6n Specs

Deano747

Subscribed
Aug 24, 2008
Couple of quick questions please. What sort of economy can I expect out of the bike ridden hard in the mountains in the North. Solo, but 2nd and 3rd gear, lots of revs. Would 15 Kilometres per litre be a reasonable planning figure? Is the 15.5 litre tank actually 15.5 litres useable, and when would I expect the low fuel light? Suspension adjustment; I can only find reference to rear preload; Is that all there is? What type of engine oil are people using, and finally, tyre pressures, front and rear. I have trolled all sorts of sites, but can't find the day to day riding stuff mentioned. Thanks in advance.

Dec 27, 2007
Aha! That makes more sense. I think most of your questions were already covered in the ER6n thread here: https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/kawasaki-er-6n-released-for-225-000-baht-t5082.html

15km/liter is reasonable. Fuel warning will start flashing when you have about 2.5 liters left. (Seems this can vary a bit from one bike to the next).

Very basic suspension- no adjustment up front and preload only on the rear shock... Lots of aftermarket options if you feel the need.

Engine oil- is there a right answer? :mrgreen: I use Shell VSX Semi Synthetic because it's cheaper than full synthetic and it's what Kawasaki recommends.

Tire pressures- depends entirely on you- what kind of tires you are using, what kind of riding, etc.

For touring I bump the pressure up to ~34-36psi. If I have a passenger I might go as high as 38psi. Hitting the twisties I might drop the pressure a few psi. For track I run 28-30psi cold.

Ride On!

Tony

Deano747

Subscribed
Aug 24, 2008
Tony, thank you for that. I had trolled that particular thread for answers, but apart from a few questions re fuel consumption in early February (with no actual answers), I couldn't find any answers to other questions I had, even from the Kawasaki sites and my local dealer here. I figured that you guys would have the best answers as you are using the bike in the areas that I am going to tour. Again, thank for your time for the reply.

Nov 7, 2007
The tank is 15.5l? I never get more than 12l filled in so I guess the fuel lamp comes on when there's 3.5l left.

I get 16 km/l pretty consistently, riding as hard as I am able + in the mountains ;)

My kawa CM mechanic also recommends semi-synthetic so that's what I put in. He claims it's better than fully synthetic in the hot / humid conditions here - I have no idea if that's true, just passing it on.

Make sure you keep the chain greased properly, I have had some issues with that recently - it seems like I have to wax it before any major trip. Oil is OK too but it leaves a huge mess all around the chain, so I use wax now. Putoline ceramic chain wax.

Oh right about the mountains up north and high revs in 2nd and 3rd gear - ride very carefully, I have seen many (many, many) accidents, especially on the 1095 from Pai - CM. There's bad visibility on a lot of those corners, and anything could be happening around the bend, from a truck flying downhill in your own lane to a sole stretch of sand on the road - there is currently exactly 1 10m stretch with a sand dune on the 1095. Because it's the only one, you really don't expect it.
Accidents on the Pai-CM road are cleared within a few hours - efficiency that comes from lots of practice!

Deano747

Subscribed
Aug 24, 2008
Thanks about the advice re the 1095. I have done it a couple of times now, but always wise to be cautious. Last times on an old Honda 400/4, so looking forward to a little extra oomph in the hills. As far as chains, I am planning on getting some chain lube when I arrive in Chiang Mai, I can't carry it on the airplane. Not really fussed how dirty the rim gets. Thanks again.