Escape from Christmas

Discussion in 'Northern Thailand - Road Trip Reports' started by ronwebb, Jan 5, 2012.

1. ronwebb

ronwebb Ol'Timer

With an overload of Jingle Bells approaching, it was time to escape to the North. I had seen good reviews of Viang Yanok on the lake in Ching Saen so that became the destination of choice. Leaving late due to a party the previous evening, we broke my usual 'avoid the main roads' rule and opted for a straight run up the 118 on past Chiang Rai and swung a right on the 1016. We arrived in good time

[​IMG]
    &nbsand we were not disappointed. Beautifully appointed rooms, managed and run by Ian and Khun Vassana on a friendly personal basis. Great place to take the misses.
    We were greeted by Ian, a classic bike enthusiast, on Christmas day on his old BSA which started a fun filled and well fed day.

[​IMG]
    We spent some time poking around Chiang Saen, a lovely town steeped with history on the Mekong.

The main temple, Chedi Luang is pretty special and as we discovered, quite progressive. There was a pickup parked next to the temple with big speakers playing music

[​IMG]
    The music player was about same vintage as Ian's Triumph, as was the music being played

[​IMG]
    On Boxing day we were heading off to Doi Mae Salong and Ian came along for the ride on his wonderful old Thunderbird. This was a huge bonus for us as he took us along some wonderful little roads running south and west of Chiang Saen

[​IMG]
    I dont know the road numbers as I was lost and was just following the Thunderbird and its wonderful rumble, enjoying the roads and scenery but probably the R4004 joining the R 2111. Stopped off at this little temple in the middle of nowhere along the way where some monks had decided, for whatever reason, to make camp

[​IMG]
    Our route took us momentarily up the R1 until we swung left into the R 1149 and along the Thai Burmese boarder. What a wonderful road

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    it runs along the boarder up hills and down dales passing the ant trails which the Burmese use to enter Thailand

[​IMG]
    and eventually comes to the Thai army camp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    with the Burmese camp on the other side

[​IMG]
    As with everywhere we stopped, the Thunderbird was the center of attention and deservedly so

[​IMG]
    Photo op with the guardians of the boarder. Good blokes they were too

[​IMG]
    The views along the way are spectacular eventually coming to R4032 just south of Thoed Thai

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A mandatory stop at Sweet Mae Salong for coffee and cakes which we could'nt wait for as they were so busy and Ian had to start heading back to Chiang Saen

[​IMG]
    so a quick hello to Somboon , Vitoon and family at Little Home and Ian was on his way

[​IMG]
    This is a great days ride if you are in those parts. Many thanks to Ian for leading the way and what a pleasure to be in the company of the fine old Triumph Thunderbird. Very reminiscent for me as this was the first bike I owned all those years ago.

2. Loading...

3. Ian Bungy

Ian Bungy Ol'Timer

Great Photos and looked like Beautiful weather! I still haven't made it to Viang Yanok yet but it is on My list of places to Stay! That Old Rolling Stones Record would be a Collectors Item Now! Classic Bikes and Music!

4. Rod Page

Rod Page Ol'Timer

No better way to spend Christmas than in the company of someone so generous with his time & so enthusiastic to show you around.
    Belated CHEERS.