Fixing a Suzuki 400 clutch - The Somchai solution

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by vel2000, Jun 27, 2011.

1. vel2000

vel2000 Active Member

A short story, how to "repair" a clutch, "the Somchai way"
    Because of my boring situation, I recently bought a 400 Suzuki. Bike was "cheap", and I knew, there is some work waiting.
    The most important thing, was the clutch. I could never find a "friction point", for a smooth startup. It was always jumpy.
    I adjusted cables and clutch, according to the workshop manual. Didn't help very much.
    So finally, I decided to open the clutch.
    At first glance, it looked ok....

[​IMG]

After removing the pressure plate (later identified as a plate from a GZ125 :crazy:),

[​IMG]

the first part that I saw, was a clutch driven plate and not the clutch drive plate.
    Really, the first one was a steel plate....

[​IMG]

I think, Somchai used it as some kind of "distance ring", because of the wrong size/thickness of the other plates...:huh:
    Well, I took out the whole clutch packet, and found:
    6 steel plates
    and
    6 friction(?) plates.
    According to the parts manual, there should be
    8 friction(?) plates
    and
    7 steel plates + two other parts (removed by Somchai, maybe to save weight?)
    So, now I need a complete "original" second hand clutch, because of the missing and wrong parts.
    Another fine example for me, to never ever bring my Bike/Car to a Somchai garage.....

Maybe, time to open a decent repair shop. Anyone interested? :smile1::smile1::smile1:

2. Loading...

3. NobleGrp

NobleGrp Member

Is it a Suzuki Bandit 400? If it cannot be found near you, find someone going over to Chiang Mai from Singapore, plenty of parts here.

4. NobleGrp

NobleGrp Member

Buy him a beer too.

5. vel2000

vel2000 Active Member

Yepp, it's a Bandit.
    I found a second hand clutch in Germany already.
    All needed parts and more, ~2000 Bt.
    I will pick it up in two weeks, when I go to Germany and bring it back to Thailand. (like some other Bike parts).
    ?