Full Face Helmet Suggestions

Oct 17, 2006
Daewoo, your observation is very helpful

Open face helmets are a big no-no on bikes for me... most neck injurues are from over extension of the neck... the jaw piece of a full face (or enduro style) helmet hits on your chest and stops your head from tilting any further down... without it your forehead will try and touch your chest
UNQUOTE

I thought more of face protection when I looked ar the Schuberth J1.
As that an acceptable compromise for a 3 wheeler (sidecar) ??

Pico

Mar 21, 2007
worn Shoei and Arai for years...great helmets. recently bought one of the STM's enduro/mx style, that bushpilot was on about...great fit...very comfortable...fairly light and good aerodynamics upto about 130km/h. bitch in the rain though...not bad with MX goggles, especicially good at night....and for 1100baht.....big smash...who knows.?

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by PICO-PICO

Daewoo, your observation is very helpful
quote:

Open face helmets are a big no-no on bikes for me... most neck injurues are from over extension of the neck... the jaw piece of a full face (or enduro style) helmet hits on your chest and stops your head from tilting any further down... without it your forehead will try and touch your chest

I thought more of face protection when I looked ar the Schuberth J1.
As that an acceptable compromise for a 3 wheeler (sidecar) ??

Pico

I am actually a bit nervous about the open face helmet in the Rally Car, because in multiple rollovers, it has been known for the (mandatory) fire extinguisher to come loose and break jaws/noses... for bikes, I think survival instinct will prevent you from sliding along the road on your nose most times, but the real benefit is limiting the movement of your head... so I was told by an Ambulance Paramedic...

Wouldn't know a Schuberth J1 if it stood up in my soup, so I can't comment on that particular helmet...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Dec 5, 2006
Just had a mate .come off his bike
he was wearing an open face...
hit the road on the left side of his face..bad bruising and nearlly lost an eye.
if he had of wearing a full face i think the damage would not be half as bad
Never really thought about it before.
But this is how things happen.
No more open face helmets for me.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
There's a young German guy in Ram hospital Chiang Mai with head injuries at the moment.
He was riding a rented bike & wearing an Index M-X helmet. The Index helmet broke on impact & he is in a bad way.
If you're serious about your riding & your head - bring a good helmet with you.
Don't wear local.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
And another one just last week. One of my son's work mates, a female, was involved in a 3 bike Honda Wave pile up. Her body was unmarked, except for her face where the visor cracked & sliced her face open - 50 stitches required piecing it all back together again.
Bring a good helmet with you.
Dont wear local, if you can help it.

Aug 3, 2004
Just got back from SaKaeo bike party which was great. I will post a report with more details shortly but thought this might be interesting on this thread.
On the way down the boss rider came off his BMW 1200GS on some oil and skidded down the road on his face. So did his GF. Here is a (poor)shot of his helmet showing scratches to the visor which did not crack. They were both fine but a bit sore. I am re thinking my Index which I really like!!
SaKaeo07027.jpg

Cheers Peter
PS You will have to look closely to see the scratches which are quite deep. The Red helmet was also scratched and has a white scar on it.

Aug 3, 2004
What did I do wrong ? Shouldn't that photo pop up automatically ?
By the way because the photo is quite small it might have to be enlarged to see the scratches.Cheers
Peter

Jul 6, 2004
Just my 2 bobs worth,
I am setting up the old Dakar for another ride up thru Asia. I am also updating my equipment, totally agree with Robert, I bought an XD ARIA.I look like Darth Vader , but it is the most comfortable helmet I have owned. AT $800 Aust it is not cheap. If Charlie Boring and Spewy Mcgregor wear em they have to be good!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by Tom Forde

If Charlie Boring and Spewy Mcgregor wear em they have to be good!

Nah, I reckon that should be "they have to be either expensive or sponsored."
Be great to see you back here again, Tom. Look after Doris on the way up again.

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
Throwing in my 2-cents worth of comment. Bear in mind I'm a rookie rider and new to bikes, having just bought my first dirt bike [in Thailand] last year, so consider my comments with a grain of salt.

Needing my first helmet, I researched this forum and later found this enlightening article on the net, which I later posted elsewhere on the forum:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearb ... et_review/

Influenced by the article, I wanted a helmet that met Euro specs, not Snell. HJC is one of the largest helmet producers in the US and those helmets are usually Snell approved...and less costly than the big name brands. I found that the Paddock shop (in BKK) also carries HJC helmets which are made in Korea....and the HJC helmets from Korea have Euro certification. My FG-14 HJC helmet cost 6,000-Bt. It's of average weight compared to other brand full-face helmets and is very quiet at speed, though I also wear ear-plugs.

Oct 17, 2006
Thank you very much indeed, Jay for posting this article.
Every word is a RELEVATION, e.g.=
In spite of what one might assume, the speed at which an accident starts does not necessarily correlate to the impact the head—or helmet—will have to absorb in a crash. That is, according to the Hurt Report and the similar Thailand study, going faster when you fall off does not typically result in your helmet taking a harder hit.

How can this be? Because the vast majority of head impacts occur when the rider falls off his bike and simply hits his head on the flat road surface. The biggest impact in a given crash will typically happen on that first contact, and the energy is proportional to the height from which the rider falls—not his forward speed at the time.

OR
In the case of fatal accidents, there was one more important discovery in the Hurt Report: There were essentially no deaths to helmeted riders from head injuries alone.
OR
in the recent Thailand helmet study 87.4 percent of the helmet hits were from the road surface or the shoulder. Helmets do hit curbs a small percentage of the time, but usually after sliding along on the road first, which means that in most cases they are actually hitting a flat surface—the vertical plane of the curb.
UNQUOTE

AND SO ON,
EXTREMLY WELL WRITTEN AND THE CONCULSION IS...........SUSPENSE PURE

jon

Nov 3, 2006
Last Sunday on the Mae Rim road I saw a young Thai guy riding his bike and holding a visor infront of his face.The rest of the helmet was nowhere to be seen.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
The original posted question was;

I have never used a full-face in a climate this warm, and wonder if there is any agreement on what full-face helmet is best suited for this climate.

As always on the helmet topic, the answer is simply "NO!" [:)]

Oct 17, 2006
certainly true, Dave but the
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearb ... et_review/
is the first report ( I see ) which takes the discussion to a much higher level, systematic scientific analysis comparing the different valuation approaches and much more importantly the direct IMPACT on your or mine brain.
Conventional helmet-biz wisdom says fiberglass construction is somehow better at absorbing energy than plastic—something about the energy of the crash being used up in delaminating the shell. And that a stiffer shell lets a designer use softer foam inside—which might absorb energy better.

Our results showed the exact opposite—that plastic-shelled helmets actually performed better than fiberglass.
UNQUOTE

I know only that much, if my (car accident) had exposed my warm Jellobrain to 5% less G-force my 2 years in hospitals would have been cut disproportionally.
I kept the pathologists long enough in suspense if the could apply the cheesecloth hammock method for more serious research.

CBR

Dec 20, 2006
For me a full-face import is good, solid protection with nice features. They've got status and style too.
BUT they cost fortune, weigh more and are a magnet to thieves. Unless your going like a road rocket everyday and burning rubber the 'benefits' of a full face imported helmet are not all they are cracked up to be.
The Thai full face helmets do the job to an extent and I find them to be a lot more comfortable in the tropics than the imported ones.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
What's that old saying? "If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet". I may not be Einstein but I do enjoy my life and intend it to go on a fair bit longer. If I can stack the odds in my favour by wearing a quality helmet, then I will. Even if there is an amount of discomfort due to the heat, it's a lot more f*cking comfortable than lying in a coma on a hospital bed!!! Each to their own........

Cheers,

Pikey.