Garmin Mapsource Thailand or ESRI

RTJim

Mar 19, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by Davidfl

quote:

Originally posted by racer55

Rhodie: Just want to let you know I'd also be interested in your experiences with ESRI.

RTJim: I'll be following in your exact footsteps gearwise (and experience w/it)and would be greatful if you could continue posting your experiences here at the GT forum.

David: In your opinion, for the neophyte GPS user that wants to explore both on and off-road in Thailand, are we best served with the basic Garmin Mapsource Worldmap and a couple of your hard copy maps?

Thanks in Advance.

Yes on both accounts.
1. RTJim pls keep us informed on how you go
2. Bring your GPS & use a hard copy map. Both will probably let you down in odd places, but at least with the hardy copy map you should be able to see the big picture. I always travel with both, but note that the guys with just the GPS will always be asking to look at your hard copy map to see the big picture & see where they are!

RTJim & border_rider are either of you in Cnx & want to meet up?

Davidfl
Keep The Power On

Guys, nothing to report yet on my GPS but I'd like to thank everyone for the useful information. I did do a lot of research on BMS mounting systems and found some interesting stuff. I also found a place in the US (http://www.gpsdiscount.com) that sells the 276c for $585 with free domestic shipping. I'm hoping to get back to the US in June and will pick one up then.

David, I'm in CNX most of the time and would be up for a drink most any time.

May 4, 2004
RT

The way I create routes whilst riding, I just hold the Enter button doen for 5 secs and this logs the waypoint where you are at the time. It allocates the next available number, then the next time i stop, quickly write against the number what the way point is. With the 176/276 I find I have no problem pressing the Enter key whilst riding.

Hope this helps

Jun 1, 2008
For those of us who would like to have the Garmin GPS mapping available on the bike in addition to the hard copy map such as Davids is there any up to date advice on the best source of GPS Garmin compatable map?

There has been a couple of years passed since this thread and i am sure that things have changed.

I am looking to travel beyind Golden Triangle and maybe down as far as Issan so am looking for a product which has the roads and maybe points of interest shown, and covers a larger area than GT area.

Thanks

T

Apr 9, 2008
RTJim wrote:
quote:

Originally posted by Davidfl

quote:

Originally posted by RTJim

David,

I did a search and looked at the links you provided but I couldn't find any mention of the ESRI or Garmin Mapsource Thailand products. Do you have any expereince with either of these? From what I read, the Mapsource Thailand City Select was released around Aug '05 so it's relatively new. I don't have a problem spending the money for ESRI or Mapsource but I'd like to know which one is better and if either of them have more detail than the standard Mapsouces Worldmap.

I dont have any personal experience with the ESRI map, as I have my own map.
If you insist on having a GPS & map, & money is not a problem, then the ESRI map is the one to get.
I think that you have to send your GPS to ESRI in Bkk for them to upload the map into the GPS. They have very tight control of it & you can't download the map to your computer from what I can gather. So that means 12,000 baht for each GPS. Kind of expensive then isn't it?

Davidfl
Keep The Power On

It's definitely expensve and way more than I want to pay. This will be my first GPS, but my impression is that unless you're willing to a lot of work making your own routes, you are stuck. I would much rather spend Bt3,000 on the Worldmap and skip the ESRI maps. What I'm trying to figure out is if there is significant incremental value going with the ESRI or Thailand City Select maps. What do you think? Have you heard anything from users of these products?

I bought the map from Gadget trend in Thong Lo Bkk had to supply serial no and unit no pay 7000 up front I was then given the disk 2 days later which I copied onto a 4gig SD card plugged into the Garmin worked perfectly first time, I bought the unit in Singapore with a Thai Map included but not as much detail as the one supplied by Gadget trend check out there website details are available there use google to search.
Cheers
HH