Getting motorcycle gear

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
I bought a "new", well latest model, Shoei helmet from Paddock before Xmas as they had an advertised sale. Otherwise I would probably have gone to Rider's Club, as it is nearer. OK she didn't have the colour I wanted in my size as I have a small head but...

I was a little reticent given the "lady's" fearsome reputation but she was very pleasant. She gave me an extra unsolicited 1000 Baht discount over the advertised discount and I also got a free T shirt and a flashlight. Quite funny really, that experience was like a fun fair. "You have spent X so you can chose anything from the bottom shelf" :)

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by Rasseru

Apologies both for a newbie question and for asking it if it has already been answered elsewhere and I was simply unable to find it. I now have a motorcycle of my own here in Chiangmai and I need to find basic items like an air pump, air gauge, oil, lock, cover, cleansing agents, polishes and so on. Any suggestions as to good places to go for such would be appreciated.

I bought a Michelin look alike tyre gauge from Lotus for about 300 baht (I think it was.)

121841414-S.jpg

The readings seem accurate & stable. At least at the Jet Gas station on the north side of the moat (Maneenopparat road) in Chiang Mai I get the same reading on their communal tyre gauge. However the Jet on the Mae Rim road always seem to give a higher reading. Is that because it is further away from my house & so the tyre is a lot hotter when I get there & gives a higher reading???

Oct 22, 2006
Thanks to all, both on line and off, for the suggestions about where to get stuff like tyre gauges, locks, covers and so on. I am now well squared away, at least for the time being.

quote:

Originally posted by Davidfl
I bought a Michelin look alike tyre gauge from Lotus for about 300 baht (I think it was.)
. . . . .

However the Jet on the Mae Rim road always seem to give a higher reading. Is that because it is further away from my house & so the tyre is a lot hotter when I get there & gives a higher reading???

Likely, but I guess the easiest way to find out would be to haul your Michelin look-alike along and see what she tells you there! [;)]

d555

Apr 13, 2007
If you decided to take your own gear,
and have time to shop,
try the internet auctions.

I got all my recent mx gear from Ebay.
All new, for less than 1/3 of the retail price.

This seller(who also owns a nice shop in Calgary,Canada) has a huge stock of older models (2003 -05) high quality mx gear, and bike parts too! All new.
He has completed over 14,000 transactions on Ebay, so no big concerns regarding scams.
International shipping (for a set of pants, jersey, gloves and boots)is available, and will cost you anywhere from US$ 60-100, by air parcel.

Search for Ebay member ID: "2nd-gear"
eBay My World: 2nd-gear

Over 600 items listed every week.
Stock might last until the end of 2007 or longer.

Try it out.
And let's us know about it.

Oct 17, 2006
To d555 =

interesting info, pls elaborate on your experience with customs, any trouble in general or regading level of import duties.

Also I understand that handling and interpretation by authorities by no means is consistent through the country, who can give input , e.g. Phuket ??