Giant Buddha - Wat Muang Ang Thong

Discussion in 'Central Western Thailand Road Trip Reports' started by Goran Phuket, May 30, 2015.

1. Goran Phuket

Goran Phuket Ol'Timer Staff Member

On my way down from north decided to stop and check this place out. Passed by numerous times before but never had a chance or time to spend few hours and enjoy what this place has to offer. For some reason, I always thought this was one of those tourist traps and oh boy...how wrong I was. To say I am impressed is gross understatement. It is not just statue of Big Buddha but 2-3 more temples, huge park and literally 100's of other life size statues placed around. There are sections: heaven, hell, war times, kings and generals, maidens....you gotta see for yourself.

GPS: 14.59303, 100.38039 (decimal)

The Great Buddha of Thailand, Phra Buddha Maha Nawamin, is the tallest statue in Thailand, and the ninth tallest in the world. It stands at 92 meters high and 63 meters wide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They also have "Crystal Temple"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photo of revered monk....I guess he was very important because his body is right there in mummified state in that glass casket

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Gates of Hell" .... had lots of pics from this section but purposely deleted them....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are hundreds of statues like these, I photographed only few

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...