GPS batt life - can plug in be used in rental bikes?

Jun 25, 2011
Hi Guys
First and formost - thumbs up for the weddy. Super infomative + real life trip reports.
From this forum, i know where and wht road to use, waiting for the map to arrive and to update my GPS!!

Problem:
My wife and I will be doing a 2 day ride during end July (1day ride each). Will be renting a bike and have bought a map from Gt forum already.

I have my own GPS but the batt life can last only 4 hrs. And it might not be enough for the day ride. As i am renting a bike from CM, any ideas if they have cigrats sockets for me to tap the power or can i bring my own cable and tap batt from the main battery?:confused:
Or is there any tips or solutions which can help me in 1 way or another?

I will bring my own boots / helmet / gloves / knee and elbow pads & rain coat. Might be thinking to rent a mesh jacket or jeans with Tee wiht my protective gears. This is my planning.

As this is my first time. Hope to get some tips or advices from the seniors here.

Thanks all...

Nov 7, 2007
i have now a cig socket installed on my virago 750 for keeping the battery charged...my gps is also my phone and before i used to ride using maps ( which i still do) and if i was not sure i switched on the gps which could reveal my current location (or confuse me further :) )
Maybe me old fashioned but i like to stop sometimes and look at maps :)
As alternative i could have bought a second battery ....

mbox

Jun 25, 2011
mbox999;269199 wrote: i have now a cig socket installed on my virago 750 for keeping the battery charged...my gps is also my phone and before i used to ride using maps ( which i still do) and if i was not sure i switched on the gps which could reveal my current location (or confuse me further :) )
Maybe me old fashioned but i like to stop sometimes and look at maps :)
As alternative i could have bought a second battery ....

mbox

On my own ST11, i haf a cigrat holder to charge my GPS or Handphone. :) even my vespa too..
I dnt knw if the rental bikes or can i fixed it..
Right now. wht i can do is to wait for the map to come in and see how it goes.
I like using map but a GPS would gif me a better idea of where i am. hehe...

Deano747

Subscribed
Aug 24, 2008
Depends on the bike type you are renting.

On the Kawasaki ER6N, I run a lead about 2 meters long (you only need maybe a meter and a half, the rest you just loop around and tie off) a from the battery to a purpose built waterproof connector for my GPS. You could use a cigarette lighter, maybe with some plastic to wrap around it to keep the water out. The battery connection is easy on that bike, the battery is easily accessible under the seat, a phillips screwdriver to loosen the battery clamps and some electrical ties to hold the cable against the frame and handlebars are all you need. I also wrap some tape around the handlebars where I bolt the RAM mounting for my GPS so as not to leave any marks. Takes less that 30 minutes all up.

Can't help you with other types of bikes.

The GT maps are a wonderful tool to do your trip planning on, the GPS make life safer by showing you the way in an easy format so you are not continually looking down at the map, or looking for signs instead of the traffic.

Jun 25, 2011
Deano747;269203 wrote: Depends on the bike type you are renting.

On the Kawasaki ER6N, I run a lead about 2 meters long (you only need maybe a meter and a half, the rest you just loop around and tie off) a from the battery to a purpose built waterproof connector for my GPS. You could use a cigarette lighter, maybe with some plastic to wrap around it to keep the water out. The battery connection is easy on that bike, the battery is easily accessible under the seat, a phillips screwdriver to loosen the battery clamps and some electrical ties to hold the cable against the frame and handlebars are all you need. I also wrap some tape around the handlebars where I bolt the RAM mounting for my GPS so as not to leave any marks. Takes less that 30 minutes all up.

Can't help you with other types of bikes.

The GT maps are a wonderful tool to do your trip planning on, the GPS make life safer by showing you the way in an easy format so you are not continually looking down at the map, or looking for signs instead of the traffic.

Thanks for the advise. Think i will bring the power cable and tap from the batt to my GPS. Hopefully the mech at the shop can help me to do it. Great idea on the Ram Mount too.. Think will bring my ram mount just in case.

As for the map, i could be bringing my tank bag. Easier for me to read the map.

The ER6N. Good for pillion? Haf to consider for my Mrs's comfy. No1 piority.. hehe...
I do hope for both day's ride. Weather will be ok. Will be doing the-samoeng-loop
. As for the second day.. will try other routes. Depending on weather of course.

Sep 4, 2007
It is unlikely that any of the rental bikes have power sockets.. Most of those hiring bikes may not like the idea of people fitting things to them. Even the Ram mount clamps may mark the bars on the Kawasakis. For only 2 days you could put the GPS in the map pocket on the tank bag and just switch on when needed. Eg to find the Start of the Samoeng loop. Once you are on it you do not need GPS just follow the road. Better to keep your eyes on the road and the scenery rather than the GPS. The GPS charge will easily last each day ride then. The Samoeng loop is only a 2 to 3 hour ride anyway.. I hope you have a great 2 days riding

Jun 25, 2011
johngooding;269212 wrote: It is unlikely that any of the rental bikes have power sockets.. Most of those hiring bikes may not like the idea of people fitting things to them. Even the Ram mount clamps may mark the bars on the Kawasakis. For only 2 days you could put the GPS in the map pocket on the tank bag and just switch on when needed. Eg to find the Start of the Samoeng loop. Once you are on it you do not need GPS just follow the road. Better to keep your eyes on the road and the scenery rather than the GPS. The GPS charge will easily last each day ride then. The Samoeng loop is only a 2 to 3 hour ride anyway.. I hope you have a great 2 days riding

Noted with thanks for the above advise. Think i m too used using the GPS and knowing where i am. :) Its good that its just a 2 to 3 hr ride. Will be using most of the time for photo taking. :)

Hopefully weather will be fine.. :)

Jun 25, 2011
Captain_Slash;269215 wrote: When I ran my gps on batteries even cheapies lasted a whole days ride, decent ones like Duracell or the equivalent last much longer

Hi Captain Slash. nice write u haf.. been reading it and sharing it with my wife.
My GPS is the Garmin nuvi.. cnt use batteries. :( Only power from the batt or self battery.

Deano747

Subscribed
Aug 24, 2008
I would recommend a tank bag. Make it a magnetic one for the Kawasaki as it has a steel tank. Holds your water, hat, camera etc

The ER6N was fine 2 up even with luggage. Last trip was 7 days 2 up with a set of throw-over saddle bags, a seat bag on the rear rack and a tank bag. Different town each night.

First trip up there in 2008, I didn't have my GPS powered as the motorcycle battery was just too hard to get to. As John said, the battery will last fine if you keep turning it off. You only really need it getting into and out of town. Hard to read in the tank bag though, and hard to turn on and off. I had it mounted on the handlebars even then via a ram mount. As John also mentioned, damage is a concern, so use some thin rubber or some electrical tape to protect the handlebars. I hired my bike from Mr Mechanic in 2008, and due to a mechanical issue, they came and replaced the bike, even swapping over the GPS and RAM mount to the replacement bike. They did manage to break the RAM mounting though (really don't know how they managed that), but RAM replaced that eventually under their lifetime guarantee.

Seriously though, the electrical connection is very easy on the ER6N, start by mounting the handlebar end and then thread the cable along the frame keeping it out of the way of moving or hot parts, loosen off the battery terminals and slide the bare ends under the terminal caps. Then cable tie the cable at a couple of points and you are done. Make sure that you put an in-line fuse in the cable. You can buy the cable pre made here at auto stores, can probably where you live also.

A little hard, but you can just see the cable tied to the frame under the tank.

//i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii445/deano744/Thailand%202011/P3130022.jpg[/IMG]

On a final note, I haven't ridden the Kawasaki Versys, maybe the others here can give you a good comparison for the pillion.

Jun 25, 2011
Hi Deano

I would use yur tip to bring a magnetic tank bank for those needed items. Thanks!

I got myself a Nuvi 550. which batt life is 8 hrs compared to the one i have which is only 4 hrs. Will be bringing the power cable just in case. Thanks a lot the pic as well. Envy u guys can do trips like this. :)

Will be bringing some duck tape and think rubber for mounting wise. Think cable to tap from batt on a Super 4 should be ok. Use to ride one myself.

I have checked and the cable from garmin has a in line fuse. Good point noted!!

A little hard, but you can just see the cable tied to the frame under the tank.

Hopefully the new set will come in , in time for me to up load routes shared by the nice guys here..

Thanks a lot!!!

Deano747

Subscribed
Aug 24, 2008
Your 8 hour battery life will be more than enough; you wouldn't need a power cable at all with that. My Zumo has around 3 hours, and I could stretch that out all day with careful use.

You mentioned a Super 4. I am guessing you are referring to the Honda Super 4 400cc. I would urge you to reconsider your choice of bike. It is a little small and cramped 2 up, though you say you are not doing big distances. My concern would be reliability, these bikes are getting seriously old and you really don't want to have a breakdown with so little time available to you. A new ER6N or Versys will cost you an extra 400 to 500 Baht a day, that is cheap insurance for a trouble free 2 days.

Have fun, wish I was there doing that right now.

Jun 25, 2011
Deano747;269263 wrote: Your 8 hour battery life will be more than enough; you wouldn't need a power cable at all with that. My Zumo has around 3 hours, and I could stretch that out all day with careful use.

You mentioned a Super 4. I am guessing you are referring to the Honda Super 4 400cc. I would urge you to reconsider your choice of bike. It is a little small and cramped 2 up, though you say you are not doing big distances. My concern would be reliability, these bikes are getting seriously old and you really don't want to have a breakdown with so little time available to you. A new ER6N or Versys will cost you an extra 400 to 500 Baht a day, that is cheap insurance for a trouble free 2 days.

Have fun, wish I was there doing that right now.

Hi Deano
Your zumo stretch all day? er meaning you only ON it when you need it or its ON all the way? :):thumbup:

Will take your advice then- either a ER6N or the Versys. hehe.. thanks.. thts true.. extra $$$ for a trouble free 2 days. :clap:

You could do what i am doing rite?..
So far I ride to Malaysia and Thailand (Hatyai).. will target to chiangmai soon...:smile1:

Apr 14, 2011
You won't need to charge the GPS as you are riding, i bought my along and turn it on once as we were alittle lost and there was no locals in sight to ask.

All you need is the MHS loop map and you are ready to go!

P1000120.jpg

We were lost in Pai on the way to the Pirhana fishing park.

So just give your GPS a full charge and turn it on when necessary. Chances are, you won't need to.

Jun 25, 2011
NobleGrp;269284 wrote: You won't need to charge the GPS as you are riding, i bought my along and turn it on once as we were alittle lost and there was no locals in sight to ask.

All you need is the MHS loop map and you are ready to go!

We were lost in Pai on the way to the Pirhana fishing park.

So just give your GPS a full charge and turn it on when necessary. Chances are, you won't need to.

Will do just tht.. Guess am too use to it, riding with the GPS turned on all the way for my trips. Maybe all i need to is to follow the roads and just take note of junction where 108 or 1096 and which turn to take note would be good enough. Guess it coulld be different from expressway in Malaysia NSH??

Apr 14, 2011
Gary Foo;269291 wrote:

Will do just tht.. Guess am too use to it, riding with the GPS turned on all the way for my trips. Maybe all i need to is to follow the roads and just take note of junction where 108 or 1096 and which turn to take note would be good enough. Guess it coulld be different from expressway in Malaysia NSH??
Very different from the NSH. NSH is just straight and boring.

Jun 25, 2011
NobleGrp;269315 wrote: Very different from the NSH. NSH is just straight and boring.

Totally agree.. unless u r in a rush..
Now i take trunk road.. its cooler and more things to see.. but for my bike.. a little clumpsy on trunk road...
Now i pray the weather will be good when i am there... :(

Jun 25, 2011
Dear Guys.
I placed an order for the MAE SA – SAMOENG LOOP MAP.
Is there anyone who i can contact or email to, to check the status of it?
Place an order near end of June. Just wondering the status of it.

Thanks all in advance.:smile1:

Jan 14, 2010
Gary Foo;269566 wrote: Dear Guys.
I placed an order for the MAE SA – SAMOENG LOOP MAP.
Is there anyone who i can contact or email to, to check the status of it?
Place an order near end of June. Just wondering the status of it.

Thanks all in advance.:smile1:
Try sending a Private Message to Davidfl

Jun 25, 2011
Captain Wally;269574 wrote: Try sending a Private Message to Davidfl
Thanks captain wally. Been studying the CM area using my GPS. Realise the outskirt towns road are not in it. just the main road itself. Now i know the GT map will be more important than the GPS. Thats why am getting anxious about the map too... :(
Flying off to CM in about 2 weeks time...

Jan 14, 2010
If your map doesn't turn up you can easily pick one up when you arrive. They're widely available around town.

Two places that stock it are 'Tony's Big Bikes' on Ratchamanka and 'Mr Mechanic' on Moon Muang.

Jun 25, 2011
yup thts true/// but thought if i haf it in hand. i can study the nearby place more in depth... just knw tht i can already buy it in singapore here... but payment made already... hmmmm will wait and see hw it goes

Sep 4, 2007
Hi Gary,
I think David has been away on tour, so not sure where your map is. Please do not worry, if not arrived before you get here, you can borrow mine. I would be happy to accompany you to the start, or even around the Samoeng loop, if you want company, if not, no worries, I know some people like to explore by themselves. I will find out from David what the progress of your order is and will let you know asap. John 0818825122

Jun 25, 2011
johngooding;269643 wrote: Hi Gary,
I think David has been away on tour, so not sure where your map is. Please do not worry, if not arrived before you get here, you can borrow mine. I would be happy to accompany you to the start, or even around the Samoeng loop, if you want company, if not, no worries, I know some people like to explore by themselves. I will find out from David what the progress of your order is and will let you know asap. John 0818825122

hey John. Thanks for all the help and kindness and yur HP no too. Been using mapsours to download the tracks-uploaded by the kind buddies here.

Other than this. my next worry is the weather.. cnt imagine me bringing up my gears and 2 helmets and the weather is no good.. well .. for now is to hope for the best..

thanks again John...

Sep 4, 2007
Hi Gary, David is sure the map was sent, but is checking again. He will contact you direct.
Cannot make any promise about the weather, it is the wet season after all.. However it is still often great riding weather, not too hot, rain can be heavy, but usually localized and short lived most of the day. Late afternoon and after can be heavier and more prolonged. I often get wet, do not bother with rain gear on most shorter trips, as it is not cold and you dry quickly. It's also cooler during and after rain.. So you will be able to have 2 enjoyable day rides I am sure..

Jun 25, 2011
johngooding;269660 wrote: Hi Gary, David is sure the map was sent, but is checking again. He will contact you direct.
Cannot make any promise about the weather, it is the wet season after all.. However it is still often great riding weather, not too hot, rain can be heavy, but usually localized and short lived most of the day. Late afternoon and after can be heavier and more prolonged. I often get wet, do not bother with rain gear on most shorter trips, as it is not cold and you dry quickly. It's also cooler during and after rain.. So you will be able to have 2 enjoyable day rides I am sure..
Yes.. i have gotten his email and he is checking for me... thanks again.. :)
I am ok with the rain. just tht my wife is coming along. haf to ensure she is well protected. Even trips in malaysia. We use a water proof jackets. :) As she get sick easily from the rain.. :)
Am looking forward.. hopefully i can plan a ride from SG to Chiang mai here... in the near future...