Green Book: Bangkok, Plates: Chiang Mai

Feb 23, 2010
Hi guys,

I bought a used ER6n in Chiang Mai in December 2010 and transferred the green book under my name and Bangkok address. Then I transferred the bike to Bangkok and I have been riding it in Bangkok and around happily since then. The plates are still Chiang Mai plates.

1) Would this book/plate combination cause any kind of a problem? Does it make a difference for me to have Chiang Mai or Bangkok plates when the green book states Bangkok as registered city?

2) When selling my bike in Bangkok, do I need to change the plates to Bangkok plates?

3) Does the new buyer need to go to Chiang Mai with the bike for any reason?

I'll appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks,

Esat

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
Hi Ducatillon,

I'm afraid I don't understand very well...
To transfer your bike, didn't you go to the Transport Office for the check-up of your bike? Didn't they give you a new plate?
When your bike is transfered, it has a new number. In your case in BKK. So you have to get a "new" plate in BKK... after you give them back the "old" plate in CNX.
Your bike in CNX doesn't exist more! It exists only in BKK...

In my opinion:
- It may not be a BIG problem riding in your configuration in LOS, but it's not rightful...
- At the moment of the future sale, it may be a concern for the buyer AND you...

Funny thing would be the BKK plate "waiting for you" at the Transport Office ;-)

All this through my own experiences. Maybe some others have different experiences too...

If can help,
Cheese,
Gobs

Sep 4, 2007
Hi Ducatillon,
I have answered point by point, under your questions.
Ducatillon;267787 wrote: Hi guys,

I bought a used ER6n in Chiang Mai in December 2010 and transferred the green book under my name and Bangkok address. Then I transferred the bike to Bangkok and I have been riding it in Bangkok and around happily since then. The plates are still Chiang Mai plates.
1) Would this book/plate combination cause any kind of a problem? Does it make a difference for me to have Chiang Mai or Bangkok plates when the green book states Bangkok as registered city?When you say 'transferred to Bangkok',

I guess you mean you took the bike to BKK, but you did not change any paperwork by visiting any transport office.
If that is correct then you can use the bike wherever you wish in Thailand and leave it on CM plates. The Green book does not state it is registered in BKK, because it still has the registration number issued by CM, it just states the owners address as a BKK address. The bike is still under the control of CM office. The only reason for changing to BKK would be if the local police are constantly stopping you and questioning why you are in BKK with a CM registration, if this is not happening, leave it as is.. I have been riding my FZ1 on Sakhon Nakhon plates for 2 years, when I bought it my address was Khon Kaen, I went to SN with the owner and had the option of changing to KK plates, I chose to leave on SN, perfectly acceptable, the office just registered me as new owner with a KK address. If I had wanted to change plates I would have then had to visit KK vehicle office and the change would have taken about one week . I have since moved to Chiang Mai, and as I now do not have a KK address I really should go the the local CM office with my new Yellow book and address and get them to change address. I have not done this, but will do so shortly. What will happen is that I complete the paperwork, the office will ask me to return after 3 days or maybe up to one week. During that time they will move the bike from the SN computer, to the CM computer and prepare a new set of plates. When I go back they will complete the change of province, inspect the bike to make sure all details such as engine and chassis number are correct, take the old plates, issue me the new ones and also a new tax disk reflecting the new registration number.

2) When selling my bike in Bangkok, do I need to change the plates to Bangkok plates?
The ownership transfer can either be done in CM, or in the office in the town where the new owner has his address. If you give him a power of attorney and complete the transfer form, he has the choice of his own office, or CM. If his own office is also BKK then that is OK. But could be a problem if he is from say Phuket, and wishes to pay you only after the transfer, some people like the owner present at the transfer office, no power of attorney is needed.
For that reason, if you want to sell, and you intend BKK to be your long term address, then it may be easier for you to change in your local office to BKK plates, as you can then easily attend the office with the new owner for the sale.

3) Does the new buyer need to go to Chiang Mai with the bike for any reason?

No need to do this. He goes to his local office,and has to wait a few days for the province change before ownership can be completely transferred and new plates issued. He does as I said before need the power of attorney form from you, if you do not accompany him to his office.

I hope the above is not too detailed and hence confusing, it summarises what I have found out in several transfers, some where I have changed plates, some left as original.
Cheers, John

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
Agree with what you are saying John.
Maybe I have been confused with Ducatillon's terms "Then I transferred the bike to Bangkok".

If bike registered with CNX plates on the Green Book but owner's address in BKK on the Green Book, not a problem.

Better though both to match...

My advice should be to register the bike in BKK: no more concern riding or selling it. It would take you a couple of hours. IMHO, worhty to be quiet-minded...

Only my comment ;-)
Cheese,
Gobs

Cheese,
Gobs

Sep 4, 2007
gobs;267982 wrote: Agree with what you are saying John.
Maybe I have been confused with Ducatillon's terms "Then I transferred the bike to Bangkok".

If bike registered with CNX plates on the Green Book but owner's address in BKK on the Green Book, not a problem.

Better though both to match...

My advice should be to register the bike in BKK: no more concern riding or selling it. It would take you a couple of hours. IMHO, worhty to be quiet-minded...

Only my comment ;-)
Cheese,
Gobs

Cheese,
Gobs
I also agree with Gobs, that if you are intending to be long term in BKK, then you may as well change to BKK plates, it then makes later sales easier for you. I left my Yamaha on Sakon Nakhon plates, while my address was Khon Kaen, but I knew I would not be long term in Khon Kaen, and so did not want to go through the process twice. There must also be a charge for the change of province, and for issue of new plates. I do not think this is excessive, but I do not know the actual cost.

Feb 23, 2010
gobs;267968 wrote: Hi Ducatillon,

I'm afraid I don't understand very well...
To transfer your bike, didn't you go to the Transport Office for the check-up of your bike? Didn't they give you a new plate?

What I mean by "transfer" is I put the bike on train and transported to Bangkok. The green book transfer was made in Chiang Mai and noone told me to change the plates. I guess I should go to the Transport Office and see. Luckily someone might be able to tell me what I should do...

Thanks Gobs,

Esat

Feb 23, 2010
johngooding;267984 wrote: I also agree with Gobs, that if you are intending to be long term in BKK, then you may as well change to BKK plates, it then makes later sales easier for you.

Thanks John. Yes, I guess it would be easiest to change the plates so I don't have to go to Chiang Mai again when I decide to sell the bike!

Cheers,

Esat

Feb 23, 2010
So I went to Mo Chit Transport Office today to renew my license (I have 3 days left on it) and change my CM plates to BKK plates.

It was alright with the plate change although I spent my whole afternoon in lines. They sent me a few times back and forth between Building 4 and Building 2. Some paperwork, signatures from various windows as usual. At the end they checked the chassis number, gave me a piece of paper and told me to go back in 3 days to pick up my Bangkok plates.

For license renewal - certificate from a hospital is needed again. I thought they would not want this for renewal but I was wrong. So if you go to Mo Chit to renew your license in the future, have a doctor's report with you.

Cheers,

Esat

Sep 4, 2007
Glad it all turned out OK for you.
Just for the record, it is not just Mo Chit, a new medical certificate is needed for license renewals in all regions. It also seems to be the case that after your first 12 months license, you need to wait until it is expired before you apply for the 5 year renewal. Technically you have to let one full year run, to qualify for the 5 year, I guess when you renew again after 5 years, it can be done early. would be interested to hear if yours was a 1 or a 5 license that you were renewing.

Feb 23, 2010
johngooding;268297 wrote: would be interested to hear if yours was a 1 or a 5 license that you were renewing.

I was trying to renew a 1 year license. Will I need to take the test again when renewing?

Thanks,

Esat

Sep 4, 2007
No you do not need to retake the test. Just your passport and visa copies, similar to the pages needed for vehicle transfer, the proof of address, from Yellow book or letter from immigration,the medical cert and your old license. You will get a new license, valid for 5 years. The fee is about 550 Baht.

bung

Feb 6, 2006
When I applied for my 5 year License I had to resit the driving test. This was done on a computer with questions relating to different senarios. Unfortunately, the translation to English was terrible with some questions unanswerable. I failed twice and was telling them the translation was bad so as it was close to closing time they helped me out on the 3rd attempt. Hilarious. One thing that still confuses me is that you need to give way to the left here. When I pointed out that this is unique in the world they said proudly "yes, this Thailand!" I am still unclear as to that law and obviously so is everyone else given the madness of trying to drive around here! this was in phetchabun and really I think they just wanted to use their new system. No two offices are the same.

Jan 14, 2010
bung;268890 wrote: you need to give way to the left here. I am still unclear as to that law and obviously so is everyone else given the madness of trying to drive around here!
That would explain why people pull out of side streets on the left into fast moving traffic without even looking. :crazy:

I wasn't aware that there were any road rules in Thailand :take-that::lol-sign:

Sep 4, 2007
bung;268890 wrote: When I applied for my 5 year License I had to resit the driving test.
Well neither I or other people I have spoken to have had to resit the test when we went to renew our license, which was 1 year after we took the test and got the 1 year license. Now we have the 5 year license. Maybe you had let the license expire for a while. Interested to hear if others have had the same experience as you did!

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
johngooding;268924 wrote: Well neither I or other people I have spoken to have had to resit the test when we went to renew our license, which was 1 year after we took the test and got the 1 year license. Now we have the 5 year license. Maybe you had let the license expire for a while. Interested to hear if others have had the same experience as you did!
I received my one year, and I am now on my second 5 year, and never had to "sit a test". The first license I only had to show them that I already possessed a valid motorcycle and car license in my home country. The last renewal, I had to watch a 45 minute video of Bangkok traffic doing everything wrong, while the narrator (in English) was telling the proper way to do things. Rather funny actually. I had to take a color (or colour) blind vision test, and a reaction test. Pretty simple, but by the tone of his comments the tester was impressed .