GT (and forum) virgin!

Tomo

Sep 13, 2006
Having just re-read the last few offerings on this thread, it's just occurred to me how easy it is to pi55 off really quite large numbers of people. What might start life as a good humoured throw away comment could easily be misconstrued by many readers as a slight against humanity. This open forum type thing is quite scary really - particularly for donkeys like me..

Therefore, without further ado, I apologise unreservedly to everyone who has ever been or aspires to be a long beardie type (including Pikey but excluding my ex-brother in law). By association, I also extend my grovelling to those who may favour V-Twin machines with the possible exception of the CX500 Honda. Doh! Now I've pi55ed off every despatch rider over the age of 40! Ok, I take it back..the CX had it's place (answers on a post card please).

I'll address 3 wheelers separately if a body of interest suggests that they have been slighted by neglection..

Well they say if you've dug yerself a hole....STOP DIGGING!! I'll just curl up in mine and sleep off this hangover.[|)]

NB. Please reserve me a crate of Chang for the 5th....

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Ha! ha! Good one Tomo though can't see why you have pi55ed anyone off with your comments or observations? Might be interesting to watch if Brat and Penetrator meet though, especially on the road..... ;-)

For me, I was a H-D beardie from about 85 - 90 then the yuppies jumped on board - no probs with that. Now I am a clean-shaven, sophisticated retiree (read:unemployed layabout) CNX resident who loves talking about and riding anything on 2 wheels. Unfortunately, I'm a better talker than I am a rider but what the f*ck, I'm happy enough!!! Look forward to meeting and drinking with you (and the missus) on the 5th. BTW, just checked your profile and we are from the same part of the world - have lived in Poole/Bmth for most of my life.

Cheers,

Pikey.

"No matter how hard you try, you CAN'T polish a turd!"

Oct 12, 2005
I hate having to duck for the damn ceiling fans in Thailand but its a small price to pay for the privledge of quaffing...eh...keeping cool Tomo's brew.

I'll take a pass on Roberts measley KTM 950 and break out my big bore super tourer. It scoofs at cam driven KTM's. I'm off to Laos if the typhoon does not come in so you see you in 10 days to two weeks so we can get together and rub the newness off your Tiger with Silverhawk.

Cheers all.
"Formerly known as the twat, racer55"

Apr 10, 2006
brat, my philosophy is quite simple, I respond in kind.

I'll be coming up to Chiang Mai in Nov to take the Teelak to the flower festival and am more than happy to meet anybody, be their intentions good or bad !

Edwin, did I say I outdragged the Harleys ?

In fact 1 of the Harleys was beside me at some traffic lights and absolutely left me for dead when the lights went green, but I soon caught up and got by once it came to a matter of getting by the other road users.

As for outcornering a Harley I dare say an XR250 is a pretty good match for most Harleys except for maybe things like the sportsters, and around the mountain roads of Doi Inthanon I'd back a XR250 to beat a fat Harley anyday.

Anyway it was just a bit of fun, no need for anybody to get their knickers in a twist over it - maybe some of you guys should have a few beers and hopefully loosen up a bit !

Tomo

Sep 13, 2006
Well I used to be paranoid but now I just look over my shoulder a lot.. Mighty fine of you to offer your elevated services B&T - it's good to have someone to look up to.

Hey Pikey, I was actually at DG20 over the weekend slavering over an HD - an owner altered Nighttrain which looked seriously Marlon Brando! I don't know HD's very well (my buddy's HD is apparently a Wide Glide..sorry Nigel) but I know what I like.
Took out the Buell XB9 & XB12 from DG20 last year with a mate for an hour's test - wot a laugh! Difficult keeping the front wheels on the deck but wouldn't fancy riding a couple of thousand miles in a week..

brat

Aug 15, 2005
The XB12X is a slightly longer wheelbase/taller version of the XB12, lots of fun and one of the most comfortable riding/pillion postions we've sat on. Add a race kit and the fun escalates! [:D]

muell3.jpg

"growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!"

Apr 10, 2006
Tomo, Marlon Brando had style, he rode a Triumph [:D]

Marlon_Brando.jpg

As did steve McQueen & James Dean

mcqueen_escape_6.jpg
deanjim.jpg

Elvis Presley

2a8qdj4.gif

Clint Eastwood

2dcivt5.gif

But of course it all went wrong in the 80's when Richard Gere jumped on the bandwagon, Triumph went bust soon after - coincidence ? I think not !

Wonder what he's got in the saddle bag, probably his collection of gerbils [:0]

UfficialeGentiluomoMoto.jpg

Tomo

Sep 13, 2006
Hi Brat, I thought the XB12 was a hoot and loved the engine. It did feel very short though (and almost toy like - even for me) so I'm interested to hear that your model has been lengthened - raised isn't good for me though....I don't have B&T's inside leg advantages! The only other thing that might make me think twice is reliability rumours - or has that been sorted as well? I guess the fact that you obviously tour on yours kinda answers the question...

I've riden an unfaired 98 Bandit 1200 for the last 5 years and haven't changed it for 2 reasons.. a) I'm tight b)I haven't found anything else that does everything as well without spending shedloads more cash (please see point a).

Fair point Penetrator...I guess it was the feel of the big black ol' Nighttrain that put me in mind of the Waterfront etc... However, for £20k I think I'll pass anyway!
NB. How cool was McQueen? Postcards to Chilly McChilly please.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Had one of the older Buells back in 98 (S1 Lightning) when I lived in Brussels and one foolish day, led by my little friend living in my trousers, decided it would be a good idea to rendezvous with a lady I knew in Lucerne, Switz - after about 600km each way and hardly any sleep in between (short trip - left Brussels friday night at 2am and then Lucerne sunday morning at 8am), i was absolutely knackered and most of that was down to the bike ride - that seat was the worst I have sat on in 25 years of riding, and I include dirtbikes in that statement! Brat, sounds like things have improved somewhat since then! Engine was good though and I had a supertrapp on mine with a Kuryakin(?) hypercharger air filter but bit's did drop off!

Went to DG20 last easter and they let me demo a Street Rod, good guys there, gave me an hour unaccompanied and I had great fun wanging through the New Forest - engine was very much like a 916 in character but the look....hmmmmm.

Anyway, enough of my rambling and see you in jan Tomo and Brat, sooner I guess! Enjoy the ride up on the Buell.

Cheers,

Pikey.

"No matter how hard you try, you CAN'T polish a turd!"

brat

Aug 15, 2005
Brando looked gay, it was Lee Marvin with the big kahoonas that rode a Harley in the wild one! :eek:)

Yep, can't wait to get there!

We packed the bike, unfortunately I broke the side stand, Harley are fixing it while it's in the crate, it's off to Sydney by truck, onto the boat Oct 30th and I'm in KL December 4th!

Rode her in, then stood the posts and wire screens up!

231148.jpg

Start taking Ceebailey 16" and mirrors off!

231149.jpg

Put screws back in so as not to lose them!

231150.jpg

My happy helpers, that's Natalie (my partner) on the left and Kelvin (he makes the shipping containers) and me on the right!

231151.jpg

Lid on, side skirts on 3 sides done and strapping complete. Now we need the sidestand fixed and the last skirt put in place!

231152.jpg

"growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!"

Apr 10, 2006
A friend of mine has an old Harley which is around the same vintage as what Lee Marvin rode in The Wild One if not a bit older, It's a side valve and 1947 I think. He's not used it for about 20 years and it sits inside his house.

The Triumph Thunderbird Brando rode in the film was his own bike btw.

Tomo

Sep 13, 2006
Having just setup access to a photo site, thought I'd give it a go so....
21082005117.jpg

Here's yours truly on the banks of Lake Geneva, heading north for the Nordschleife!

Tomo

Sep 13, 2006
Hi Brat, I just noticed that in one of your packing pics you've removed the original saddle and replaced it with what appears to be a green item of somewhat increased padding....does this reflect the inadequacies of the standard item over long distances...? I look forward to your report on it's success[;)]