www.thegtrider.com
Bun Cha Nem Cua Be Dac Kim
67 Duong Thanh

img_3232.jpg

One of the best lunch time experiences.
img_3233.jpg

What you want
Bun Cha: "Grilled Pork Noodle Soup"
Pork meat grilled over hot coals served in a sauce with bun (vermicelli), + herbs / fresh veges.
The pork is made into patties mixed with garlic and shallots, egg, fish sauce and sugar.
It is an absolutely delicious dish. & is a must to eat in Hanoi.

img_3238.jpg

Friendly staff
img_3236.jpg

What you get
img_3234.jpg

How we did it in March 2010
img_2202.jpg

The 2010 serving
img_2201.jpg

Bun Cha more info.

Last edited:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Buon Dua Le Cafe
20 Hang Hanh street. Hoan Kiem District, Ha Noi.
buon-dua-le-cafe.jpg

a new aircon little cozy cafe under Aussie management.
Spotlessly clean. Excellent service (good English), helpful staff, delicious food, good coffee & breakfast.
Indeed this was our brekky spot in Hanoi every day!

img_3162.jpg

Upstairs
img_2633_0.jpg

spotlessly clean & cool aircon.

The balcony for smokers
img_2634.jpg

and a nice view of the street below.

A very refreshing mango shake
img_2723.jpg

Some food
img_3160.jpg

img_3161.jpg

Highly recommended, & most conveniently straight across the street from the Golden Sun Hotel.

Last edited:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
COFFEE
Coffee was introduced into Vietnam by French colonists in the late 19th century. Vietnam is now a strong exporter of coffee with the bulk of the coffee grown in the central highlands. When coffee was first introduced fresh milk was not widely available, so sweetened condensed milk was used with a dark roast coffee.
Today, drinking coffee on the street side is a very popular pastime in Hanoi; & it was something I enjoyed immensely - people watching whilst having a roadside drink (although not necessarily a coffee.) Hanoi is a truly wonderful city.

The most famous coffee street in Hanoi is Hang Hanh, where the Golden Sun Hotel is located (we lucked out.)
There are several old style coffee shops in Hang Hanh, of which the most famous is the Cafe Nanh. The Cafe Nanh has been in biz since 1946 & is a genuine coffee shop icon in Hanoi.

The Cafe Nanh
img_3168.jpg

famous for it's coffee in Hanoi.

The number of motorcycles coming & going with people popping in & out for a cuppa Hanoi's best was amazing. There must be hundreds in a day, just swinging by for a cup of traditional Vietnamese coffee (or engine sump oil as one disgruntled traveler proclaimed).
A line up of customers bikes outside the Nhan.
img_3134.jpg

sometimes there were so many bikes that they blocked most of the street. Parking valets were in attendance, & you stopped, got off your bike, walked inside for a cuppa & the guys parked your bike nicely in the row. & when it was time to go, they retrieved your bike for you & lined it up ready to go. All part of the service, just for a cuppa thick dark coffee. The Kiwi Cruiser & I were most impressed

Inside the Nhan
img_3132.jpg

old style, with several types of rooms, depending on your mood & companion of the day.

img_3126.jpg

img_3131.jpg

Upstairs with the Kiwi Cruiser
img_3124.jpg

The upstairs spaghetti wire street view
img_3127.jpg

My meal + a hot cuppa dark thick rum coffee
img_3130.jpg

& by this stage the KC had fled the scene in search of a cappuccino!
I enjoyed my meal & the rum coffee; although the rum tasted more like a shot of ya dong whisky (which it probably was.)

Last edited:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
RAINBOW RESTAURANT
37 Hang Hanh, Hoàn Kiếm

img_2679.jpg

a delightful cozy little indoor / outdoor restaurant. Tasty food, good service, friendly staff & owner, & brilliantly located on a street corner / bend in the lane.
The Kiwi Cruiser & I ate most of our evening meals here & it was always good, inexpensive & most enjoyable - watching the Hanoi world go by, plus chatting to the owner & staff.
The double shots of Cointreau at the end of night went down well everytime.

Anyway a few nibbles...

A pasta dish with herbs & spices
img_2680.jpg

Duck with orange sauce
img_2681.jpg

Some kanom - banana pancake "Rainbow style."
img_2682.jpg

A small fruit salad

280657=11423-img_2683.jpg

The Rainbow was a gem of a place for KC & I in Hanoi. Check it out for a meal or two if you're around there.

Last edited:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
LOFT STOP CAFE
11b Ngo Bao Khanh, Hà Nội Hanoi
(Opposite Cafe Nhan)
img_2684.jpg

Newly opened November 2011
img_2726.jpg

a super little smart modern well designed aircon cafe, serving French & Vietnamese food, plus out of the world pastries.

img_2725.jpg

img_2724.jpg

& apologies no pix of the food, but the pies & cakes & tarts were unbelievably good & I often had a double serving.
Dont miss out here.

Last edited:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Noodles - dry - a dry beef noodle salad.
Something different, but voted the best meal we had in Hanoi this trip.
GTR - IMG_3841.JPG

GTR - IMG_3845.JPG

GTR - IMG_3843.JPG

How it comes out - huge servings & incredibly delicious
DSC_1092.JPG

2 happy customers
DSC_1095.JPG

We were 2 couple on this trip & everyone voted this the best meal in 8 days.
In fact it was so good, the last day there was a frantic rush to find the shop again for one more beef noodle salad nosh up!