Has anyone been caught without motorcycle license MHS loop?

Dec 18, 2012
My wife can only ride a 50 or 60 cc bike and we where thinking to rent her a 200, she has ridden that size in India before and can handle it, but I wondered if she got stopped and not having heavier motorcycle license, is it allot of trouble or just a small fine and on our way? anyone been in this situation? would love to hear some experiences! she has a Swedish driver license and on the back it shows a picture of a small motorcycle and says a date, maybe they would just look at that and think its ok, I dunno but would love to hear your experiences! Thank you!

Dec 14, 2012
I've been stopped a few times by thai police, and had no problems with my russian DL, seems to yours - photo, name and surname in english and motorcycle pictire.

I presume, that 50 cc will be too weak to mountain roads on MHS loop, 115-125 cc for one person will be okay.

Gippy

May 14, 2011
The police are not the problem, a small fine and be on your way. But what if she has an accident, falls down a cliff and requires a helicopter trip to hospital? No license means no insurance and you pay for the helicopter.

Dec 27, 2007
^ +1

Driving / riding without a valid license is a very small offense in Thailand, but should you suffer an accident and god forbid injure or kill someone it can become a very big problem.

Up to you if you want to take that risk or not.

bsa

Dec 31, 2012
Brake 034 is richt
No valid driving licence. No driving
brake034;286143 wrote: Deleted after reconsideration.

Why is it that people observe the law in their home country and think they can bend the rules if they travel abroad for holidays?

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
Gippy;286093 wrote: The police are not the problem, a small fine and be on your way. But what if she has an accident, falls down a cliff and requires a helicopter trip to hospital? No license means no insurance and you pay for the helicopter.
No joke. In hindsight, I was pretty foolish for touring the GT without International travel insurance. But I had good experience with HCC Atlas plan including the "Extreme Sports" rider option for only $80 US for 3 weeks of riding Vietnam up to $1,000,000 coverage limit. http://www.mnui.com/atlas.asp

That is pennies in relation to the overall trip cost and the peace of mind alone was worth it. Vietnam is f-ing scary, not sure I would ever ride there again. Too many close calls for comfort.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
Police and lack of licence aren't a problem for you...

Please understand the risk and make an educated decision...

I rode for a while in Thailand without any motorbike licence... which means no insurance... (most travel insurance available for Australians only cover you if you are licenced to that bike in your home country)...

you might get stopped by police, and have to pay $us15 on the side of the road... they might make it official and you have to pay $us15 at the police station...

If you crash and hurt someone, or hurt yourself and need top medical attention or evacuation, without insurance, it is as or more expensive than anywhere in the world...

The best thing about Thailand is that you can choose what level of risk you are willing to accept...

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
TonyBKK;286230 wrote: You got robbed! ;)
I was factoring in the OP's inexperience and lack of Thai Language skills... figure he will be lucky to get away with 500THB... I have never paid because I always carry my Sutherland Public Library Card :D .

Sep 4, 2007
daewoo;286249 wrote: I was factoring in the OP's inexperience and lack of Thai Language skills... figure he will be lucky to get away with 500THB... I have never paid because I always carry my Sutherland Public Library Card :D .
Good to know I can use my Thai driving license to get out some library books in Aus.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
johngooding;286251 wrote: Good to know I can use my Thai driving license to get out some library books in Aus.
You might like this one John;

JohnDummies_zps7bec4acb.png

:lol:

Dec 27, 2007
brake034;286346 wrote:

Remains my question: why do people believe it is OK to break the law in Thailand?
A few times I have visited CR Reprimand Prison and there were many farang there spending significant time (20 years plus) because they believed it was OK to break Thai law.......
^ how's that for going off topic again? ;)

But, to answer your question, I reckon the reason many of us LOVE to ride in Thailand is because the traffic laws are so incredibly lax here compared to back home. Where I'm from 20 over the speed limit can land you in jail with your vehicle impounded and license suspended. Here in Thailand max fine for speeding is what? 800 baht? And usually you can settle on the spot for a fraction of that and receive a smile and salute and be sent on your way.

:happy1:

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
At risk of further feeling the wrath of Davidfl, with off-topicness, but at least aboot riding in Thailand...

It surprises me that Tony posted up the response he did, since it seems that our Merican brothers more typically lean towards "It's the law, so must be obeyed"...

I don't obey any law, just because it is the law... I obey the law because it meets my own moral standards (i.e. not negatively impacting on others), or because the risk of not obeying the law is too great...

Here in Australia, speeding by more than 45 over is $2,154.00 and 6 months license cancellation... I rarely do more than 45 over, but will comfortably do less than 45 over, because the risk isn't so great...

I wouldn't ride without a license, because the penalty is huge... but in Thailand, then penalty (from a law enforcement point of view isn't huge)...

For the OP, he needs to make a decision about whether;
The penalty is acceptable (especially the possible massive cost if there is an accident - no insurance)...
It passes the morals test (aside from not having a license, is riding a bike they have no experience with, putting others at unacceptable risk)...

I personally recommend that people don't ride a bike they aren't licensed for because, we all know how often inexperienced riders crash in Thailand, and that the medical costs without travel insurance coverage can be huge... but that is up to the OP to decide for himself....

The great thing about Thailand is that you can make an educated decision about that... In Australia, I reckon you would be MAD to ride without a licence, mainly because the cost of vehicle repair/medical costs are so huge (the fine is only $792)...

Dec 27, 2007
brake034;286374 wrote: Daewoo,

I disagree with regards to obeying any law unless it meets your moral standards.
Laws are used as a basic set of rules similar to the rules soccer players use playing their game.
Without a set of rules and majority of people playing the game obeying them there is the risk no one follows any rules.

Example: 365 dead in Thailand during last weeks 7 days of danger.
What good are traffic laws if there is no one to enforce them? :happy1:

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
It shouldn't take a book, or police officer to enforce that driving across the country drunk is a very high risk... that overtaking on a blind corner is a very bad risk... that riding without a helmet is a very high risk... driving without a seatbelt (or on the back of a pickup) is a very high risk...

I don't do that in Australia or Thailand, not because the risk of being caught is high, but because the risk is too high...

Thai's drive badly not because they don't have laws or enforcement, but because they don't understand that in other countries people do not drive like that, because of the risk, because to few get out of Thailand to see how the other half lives...

Aug 25, 2012
The significance of having or not having the required licence here in Thailand is very different from in the West (or even in some other Asian countries such as Hong Kong or Singapore).

In the West, obtaining a driving licence means that you have understood sufficiently the ethics of conduct on the roads, exhibit sufficient knowledge of road sense (when to stop, when to give way etc) and displayed sufficient intelligence to be in charge of a moving vehicle (a potential weapon of mass destruction). Here in Thailand, it just means that you were able to pass the ridiculous test that they set up.

So the issue is not whether one has a driving licence or not. The issue is whether one is capable of piloting a motor vehicle on public roads, knowing full well that you are a potential risk to other road users (including pedestrians) everything you set out.

I come back to the OP's question about whether he should let his wife ride a bike on the MHS loop. OP should ask himself whether his wife has sufficient ability to do so. There are a lot of other road users out there who shouldn't be there. Do we need another one?

Sep 1, 2011
In the west, most people have been taught to drive. There are many who break the law but, with the background of training, they do so largely in a predictable manner. Generally they will not execute a right hand turn from the left hand gutter without having a bit of a peek first. Thai drivers play the percentages, ie: There was no oncoming traffic on the last 17 crests and 15 blind corners, ergo, there will be none on the next one. There is are good reasons why asian drivers have a particularly bad name in Australia. Conversely, I know I can't sail past a police truck on an Oz highway at the speed of light and give the driver a wave without suffering consequences.

PS. I'm thinking of having some stickers made up reading: "I'm a Lisu aware driver".