Hatyai-Pattani-Narathiwat-Yala-Betong

Discussion in 'South Thailand Road Trip Reports' started by yempaul, Apr 26, 2011.

1. yempaul

yempaul Ol'Timer

On the way down from North, we decided to stop by the 3 so called 'troubled states'. No trouble at all. Minus the presence of soldiers and police almost every possible corners, it was still the same Thai hospitality and warmth.

[​IMG]

Headed for Pattani

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good lunch at Pattani

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Kru Se Mosque was in the limelight not long ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Off to Narathiwat next.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And they have some beautiful baylines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big MU fan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way to Yala now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dont know what's this called. But it was one of the best i've ever tried.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stayed the night here

[​IMG]

Leaving Yala

[​IMG]

Off to Betong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15 minutes interview by these fellows. They're just doing their job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Betong town

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leaving Thailand

[​IMG]

The 3 states of Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani offers no network connection on the mobiles. But I'm certainly coming back. The 6 riders made home safe and sound amidst some confusions.

Till the next ride ....

2. Loading...

3. rob7711

rob7711 Ol'Timer

Hi yempaul ... did you manage to count the total number of checkpoints that you passed through? We rode this route late last year and though we made it through without incident but you do get a sense of heightened awareness that not all is well in these parts.

Interesting read and well done bros.

4. yempaul

yempaul Ol'Timer

Rob ... countless checkpoints ... Am surprised there are quite a number of night acivities going on at Yala town. There are places to chill and relax.

I did the Betong to Yala route in 2008, and recalled there were more checkpoints back then.

5. schackster

schackster Ol'Timer

Ive done this route several times in both directions. There were many Army checkpoints but as soon as they saw I was a Farang they waved me through. I didnt really stop to sight see but chose to keep going until I got to either Betong or Hatyai. Did hear after one trip that only hours after passing through one of the towns that 3 people had been shot. What I did notice was that most of the soldiers were nothing more than kids. Ive spent a lot of time in Betong ( lived there for nearly a year ) and remember drinking heavily in one bar on a Saturday night and then the following night a bomb exploded in that same place killing one customer . The police also shot dead a young islamic boy who was seen detonating the bomb from a mobile phone outside . That is why most handphone signals in that area are blocked. That scared the crap out of me. All within 24hrs. Theses incidents occured more than 3 years ago so I cant really comment on the present state of affairs in that region. Betong is a favourite playground for the Malay, Chinese and Indians from nearbye Malaysia and Singapore.

6. yempaul

yempaul Ol'Timer

Schackster

When we arrived in Yala, we were told of a soldier killed and a dozen injured the day earlier. Last week, the news of a car bomb explosion in Yala was in the papers. I hope things will get better.

7. burnjr

burnjr Ol'Timer

but yala still safe to ride.....only dont follow army convoy or be at the market or many people..
    yala/petani nice place and nice food.....have been there 3 times.and have good bikers friends there.

8. yempaul

yempaul Ol'Timer

I agree. The food was to my liking. And cheaper too. Aroy mak mak ....

9. burnjr

burnjr Ol'Timer

best yempul wanna we meet brothers.