Have National Park Fees been Reduced?

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
SilverhawkUSA wrote: The most irritating to me, and I have seen it a number of places such as the Chiang Mai Night Safari, is when they post the Thai price in Thai Script including the numerals. This way, the tourist/foreigner has no idea of how much he is being overcharged in comparison to a Thai unless someone tells him. :twisted:
Yes, was last week in Pai at the Hot Spring. Went to get tickets for the three of us and the guy pointed at the English writing. I pointed at the Thai writing and asked why Thais pay 40 Baht. He was very surprised I could read Thai (actually I can't - I guessed a bit) but still insisted I pay 200 baht. Showed him my Thai Driving license which I got in 1976 and which is valid for life but he did not budge. Neither did I, so no Hot Spring for me.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Well maybe an answer is to start reporting incidents such as this but where. Nothing the guy sitting at the key board can do about it.

They certainly didn't make money on that deal.

The Bangkok Post and the Nation both now have forums?

Might be a place to start. But one guy posts somethign and no body else particpates might a well forget it.

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Hey guys I luv living here and I luv the free enterprise system here its up to us if we choose to have finacial dealings with selected locals. The park entrance fees are 100% wrong, nothing is perfect, I like Captain Slash's solution because its just another Thai game so enjoy the game if you want to play and good luck if you want to change Govt policy.

Cheers Ken F

Jun 5, 2008
Just come back from a quick run up to Mae Sa waterfall,which is part of Doi Suthep-Pui national park,surprise surprise was only charged 20Bt each for two on the bike after producing my thai license.

Read it was also valid for the day in any other NP.

Ray,you may be right,have they repealed the discriminatory pricing or was I just lucky?

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
CMrich we did the same 3 weeks ago same deal. Lets hope its now the same throughout Thailand, but I have never had a problem. Hey if your Richy with AT lets go for a ride soon.

Regards Ken F

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Sent to the Thai American Chamber of Commerce, today

I thought Thailand needed tourist

Well I really don't think this is the way to get them charge them five times as much as local. Woudn't be wiser to get them here paying for hotels, consuming food and spending money on entertainment.

Since I havee taken the trouble to bring this to your attention, why is those of us who live her year and round and support communties are reated as tourist in these faclities.

It amazes me that so much money would be given to the TAT to attract tourist when anyone in their right mind would not come here and be charged five times as much as others.

Oh yuo will get the bar tourist all right, but not the families, who can be treated fairly elsewhere. I just don't understand the thinking

"
Breakingnews » Breakingnews

Phra Viharn park officially reopens
By: BangkokPost.com
Published: 1/03/2009 at 03:51 PM
Khao Phra Viharn national park in Si Sa Ket province officially reopened Sunday with a half-price entry promotion.

Si Sa Ket governor Sanee Jittakasem said the decision was made to reopen the park because border tensions between Thailand and Cambodia had been significantly reduced and the two countries had almost completely withdrawn their toops from the area.

Tourists visiting the park would be charged half price during the initial period: 20 baht for Thai nationals and 100 baht for foreigners.
Mr Sanee said a grand reopening complete with Buddhist ceremonies was scheduled for April.

The park had been letting tourists in since unofficially reopening in February, seven months after being closed because of the border dispute."

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Well I appreciate making the effort adnd wish you well. If never try yuo never will know.

Muzz

Mar 27, 2007
Personally, I hope this place goes tit's up for a while and teaches the arogance of the Thai's which side thier bread is buttered. Lazy fux.

Nov 18, 2008
If you can appreciate the allegory, my move to Thailand was like marrying a single mother. I love the woman but the kids are a part of the package. Racism is rampant all over Asia. We simply don't-and never will-look, behave or even smell like them and, because they're in control, for many Americans, at least, that puts the shoe on the other foot, so to speak, and it's not at all comfortable and even sometimes a taste of their own medicine. I'm really not inviting conflict here but simply stating that sometimes it's better to understand than to be understood. I really believe that I, personally, will never be anything more than a guest here and need to behave accordingly. Nothing's fair-it is just what it is. Like they say in the old country, "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.". :)

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
Like Capt Slash commented, if my Thai license isn't good enough to obtain the normal price, I'll leave and not enter the park. But, so far I've only encountered one park where they were adamant that I pay a farang price, and that was a few years ago. Like it was earlier stated, maybe entering on a bike does make a difference?

I did have one unusual occurrance when I visited the Kaeng Tana National Park, which is NE of Ubon Ratachatani. Upon stopping at the entrance, the guard came out and noting my dirt-bike and luggage, began asking where I'd come from. In my minimal Thai we chatted a few minutes as I told him of my travels. I then pulled out some Baht expecting to pay the Thai price. He refused to accept any payment and just waved me into the park. As I remounted the bike, a car containing a young Thai couple stopped behind me. The guard approached them and I saw him charge both of them to enter the park!!
Score one for 'we' farangs!

Aug 29, 2008
if it's of any interest, entrance to tarutao nat park is now 100baht, not 200 baht as before

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
The resident visa is touchy spot with me Because there is only one aspect I can't meet, no work permit I retired therefore excluded.

So if your retired here you fall through the slots, no matter what you contribute to your community.

There is no retirment visa in Thailand there are annual visas.

I really think thye are missing a great opportunity there a well. Lots of baby boomes with money looking for a place to retire peacefully. Only a few are adventerous enough to bring that money into a country they are allowed to stay in one year at a time.

I long ago gave up feelign welcome beyond a vacation, they don't want us but they do want the money. I don't think they have a clue what we as a group represent to the economy here.

Why would they if you like it here your going to tolerate it. This is my home and the only place I want to live. So they got me thats for sure.

I bring in 1.2 Mil every year, thats chump change compared to some and more then others do. But I'm just one how many are actually here doing the same thing.

Heck most of the guys on here spend more on Bikes then the average Issan worker makes in a year. someone in Thailand benefis from that.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
I took the Kids to Mok Fa Waterfall today and cost 10 Baht each after showing My Thai Drivers License another 10 baht for the Pickup. Turned out a Waste of Time as it Poured with Rain :shock: That was OK though as before that i tried to Go to Tad Mok the Dirt Road and got 80% of the way and Had to Turn around when the Village Idiots had Blocked the Road laying down Concrete :roll: And at the beginning of the Day My Brother-In-Law called from NZ saying My Father was in Hospital after having a Stroke so really Not My Day :evil: Happy to get the 10 Baht instead of the "Rip off the Farang Deal"