HELP! ! Farmers, Paddock or...???

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
This weekend [Nov 18-19]I'm going to BKK to buy a jacket, boots and maybe an HJC helmet.

I've just bought a bike (previous rode friends bikes and rentals, mainly in Cambo) and plan on some more extensive riding..offroad in Cambo and on-road throughout Issan and Laos.

I'm clueless about the quality of the textile (don't want leather!)
jackets being offered by the shops in BKK. I have strap-on leg/knee and elbow protection, but am open suggestions. Some shops only provide specs in Thai, which doesn't help me. Same applies to boots that would be useful for both touring and off-road.

Is anyone familiar with Farmers 'Shimoto' brand of jackets? Quality vs price. Same for Paddock's offerings. Suggestions appreciated!

Which BKK shop may have a selection of HJC's 'CL-14 or SP' helmets?

And for my purposes, what boots would you suggest?

Thanks for any knowledgeable input!!

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
I wear a synthetic fabric (nylon?) jacket Yellow/Grey with foam "armour" which I like. The jacket not the armour:). I got it from Red Baron for 6500-ish? Loose fitting, velco sleeve ends, jippered breathing slots, front pocket for stuff.
Works for me. Its an Gerke, Genke or something like that.
Depend where you are going in BKK. Riders Club, Silom Soi 9/Sathorn Soi 12? has a selection of good stuff upstairs but it is outrageously, for me, expensive. They had a beautiful nylon jacket that fitted me prefectly for about 18,000. Cough.

Rigger

Oct 26, 2006
E bay is a good source for jackets Try blue dingo mesh bike jackets cheaper than the jackets here in Thailand and IMO are a better jacket

Mar 3, 2004
Try to drop in 32Farmers shop. Reliable quality at reasonable budget prices. Seeing is believing.

dotcom

Nov 14, 2006
I paid 3,000 for mine at Red Baron. It's Red - forget the name. 2XXL. I bought it out in the parts barn. Jacket with armour that slips in. Lots of Velcro.

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
quote:

Originally posted by dotcom

I bought it out in the parts barn.

I must have missed that on my visits, where is it? I usually can't get past the shinny red bikes.

dotcom

Nov 14, 2006
Right next to the cashiers booth. In the parts barn. Drive past the showroom - straight back as far as you can go. The mechanics workshop will be on your right. Straight back - as far as you can go. Kickstand. Remove helmet. Walk into giant double doors. You will see a stack of tires & some Brembo brakes lying in a pile. Jackets are to your left.