Hond VFR replacement to be a V5 in 2009.

Oct 17, 2006
MCN have been given technical preview by Honda of the replacement VFR to be released in 2009 it will no longer be a V4 800cc but a V5 of around 1000cc.

lots of new technology as this is always Honda Flagship bike

I like VFR 750 and 800cc but never liked the VTEC model .

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Dammit! Honda's going to do it, hopefully. - I've asked myself for years why there's no bikemaker innovative enough to build a V5, or a V3, for that matter. If conservative car makers like Daimler Benz or VW employ unorthodox inline or VR 5-cylinder engines, which obviously have their benefits, why don't MC makers do it? VW's narrow-angle VR engines are compact and powerful, just what we need in a bike. I've suggested years ago that Porsche should work on that idea and build a bike with a 1000cc V5; BMW should have done it, after the inventive "flying brick" K-series dead-ended, instead of just another inline-4 "new" K engine. DUCATI came out with a V4; how would a V3 (two cylinders in the front to get weight on the front wheel, one cylinder back like before) sounded and performed? - There may be technical reasons for that, but I'm afraid the beancounters and risk-avoiding managers are to blame. - I would have guessed that Yamaha would have taken that step, they're the ones who built the SR500, the XS650, the 750 and 850 triples, the 850/900cc parallel twins, the first V engine, Virago and other "unusual" engines, while Honda always went more mainstream, except for the 6-cylinder Gold Wing.

Nov 14, 2006
VFR the flagship?? I would say the flagship is the Gold Wing. Maybe the sports touring flagship of Honda, but not overall...

Oct 17, 2006
Tom ,Honda always put their soul into the VFR series , Investment in Time, money, passion ,technology its always the VFR ...it surely is their flagship model.

sure they pour perfection into the Fireblade and Goldwing but the VFR is the Flagship model.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
You're right, Captain Slash, Honda built a 400cc V3 two-stroke in the mid-eighties. Live and learn!
Talking about flagships - Honda builds so many different bikes it's hard to choose one. There's the VTX1800C, the Valkyrie, the Fireblade and the VTR 250...
If you're into power cruisers there's a good article at http://www.english.aljazeera.net/NR/exe ... 30C28D.htm "The motorcycle superpower summit: Harley-Davidson V-Rod, Honda Magna, Honda Valkyrie, Honda VTX1800C, Kawasaki Mean Streak, Yamaha V-Max, Yamaha Warrior. By Art Friedman."