How do i get Garmin Webupdater to work in Thailand?

Oct 17, 2006
Have reinstalled and cleared it 3 times as recommended by Garmin technical and disabled firewall to let it through but webupdater still will not work for me here in Thailand ? all i get is connection error message !!!

any ideas as i want to down load updates and Thai keyboard software from Garmin.

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Must be something in your system as Web-updater works fine for me here in Chiangmai - updated my 60 Cx, an Oregon as well as a Nuvi 200 and all went well.

Sorry, forgot to add that it is (was) also possible to do the update manual. You can download the updates directly and then use Updater.exe (don't know if it is still available on the Garmin site but I have a copy - about 700 kB) which will update the software directly from your harddrive. You can also run the Updater directly from the Command Line by specifying the location of the update file.

Oct 17, 2006
Arrived UK and Webupdater works fine ...Phoned garmin and asked why does it not work in Thailand ...they said ..its blocked due to piracy in Thailand for all machine not sold in Thailand.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
MM

Just a question,, is there any possibility to use UK updater from here os is it use local server as default

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Guys,

I am sitting here in Chiangmai and just tested it without any problem for my Nuvi (Garmin Updater version 2.42 I think - see the screen grabs). Yes, some websites are off-limits but not the Garmin site. Actually, you can download tons of Garmin maps including the latest (2010) maps for the USA, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, S.E. Asia, Malaysia, Singapore, etc. You have to search for them though and may have to register before you can download the maps. Just downloaded the Vietnam GPS map.

Download Webupdater and install it on your PC. Either at the end of the Installation process or once when it is installed start the programe.

StartupWU.jpg

You will then get a screen where its asks where your GPS is located.

Checkdevice.jpg

It will then check if there are any updates for your GPS, etc. When the firmware is updated, check again as there may also be an update for the GPS chip in your GPS.

CheckingforSirf.jpg

Once everything has been checked you will see this:

Result.jpg

Quite simple and straightforward.

Mind you, I know from people at forums that they sometimes have lots of problems downloading the latest firmware using the Webupdater. Trying again and again in almost all cases will work.

Make sure that the batteries in you GPS are fully loaded. In case your batteries give up during the upload process you have a very good chance that you will have to send it to Garmin to get things fixed and, as it is your fault, it will cost big bucks.