Huai Khwang - Where is the Cave?

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Just another shortie this morning up 1269 towards Samoeng and then a left at the top of the climb before the descent into the hairpins. Kevin had told me about the Takatan Caves but I had never been and today on this trip I thought I might pay them a visit.

Wrong ! Saw the sign near the top end of the track but I seemed to have missed the signs to the actual cave!

DSC_0474.jpg

This turning takes you down a concrete road and is very pleasant.
DSC_0479.jpg

DSC_0480.jpg

DSC_0481.jpg

At the bottom there are a few pools of water (with fish Kevin !!) and after that the track deteriorates into patchy mud, soil and then concrete.

DSC_0485.jpg

DSC_0486.jpg

DSC_0490.jpg

DSC_0493.jpg

DSC_0498.jpg

DSC_0500.jpg

The guy fixing chains to his truck went on to drive up the muddy mountain but not without a trial. He had 3 runs at it and on the fourth attempt, I rode on listening to the screaming engine for quite some time.

DSC_0501.jpg

DSC_0502.jpg

DSC_0504.jpg

DSC_0506.jpg

DSC_0509.jpg

The track meanders through a village and most of the houses have a terrific selection of tyres. In this village is a turning, a track up to the right which looks pretty rough. At home, my other half interprets this sign to be the elusive Cave sign.

DSC_0511.jpg

DSC_0513.jpg

DSC_0515.jpg

DSC_0516.jpg

DSC_0517.jpg

Just beyond here there was a school with all it's pupils and staff dressed in scout type uniform and sat in the shade of a big tree.

DSC_0518.jpg

DSC_0522.jpg

The end of this loop exits onto the 1269 adjacent to Ban Klang Doi Resort & Spa.
shack11june.jpg

DSC_0532.jpg

Nice ride, great scenery and a variety of surfaces but manageable even on road tyres.

(After looking at the poor quality of my pics over the last few days I checked inside my camera & found a spec of dust on the lens. Shyte! and a few more expletives !)

Ally

Nov 2, 2008
DSC_0517.jpg

You guessed correctly, in the rain the road is worse from the cave then the narrow concrete tracks up this first hill. That hill is fine unless you meet a farmers truck coming down just after you make that first corner, riding twop up, in your pictures.

Soo close... :D

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Thanks for the steer here Kevin.

On the Loopy gang ride to X-Centre ride this week, I pointed this turn out to the other guys & I guess this may well get some more visits now.

I'm waiting for the dry season to try this cave track.

Ally

Nov 2, 2008
Loopy gang ride; great ride btw sorry to miss that.

darn responsibilities keep getting in the way but that sometimes happens.