Hwy 1 condition?

Aug 13, 2007
Thailand
Hi All,

Was planning on a trip around Chiang Mai starting Sunday. My plan was to ride from Hua Hin to Chiang Mai where we will meet some others then do the Mae Hong Son loop. Watching the local news it doesn't look good around Nakhon Sawan and Kamphaeng Phet. Anyone have current info on highway 1 road conditions?

Dwayne.

zona

Dec 25, 2009
There is a recent Thai news article saying that Hwy. 1 between Tak and Lampang has been reopened today after it was closed to traffic on the 4th.

Gary D

Apr 17, 2010
I rode it today as far as Tak, no problem, is a 100km+ road but just shit in a lot of places, needs an overhaul, watch out for big holes in the LHS. If you get to Tak, stay here as i have done tonight, it is a great little town on the river, i am staying at the Viangtak Riverside, real good rooms for 600bt, i will be back.
I bypassed BKK and stayed at Kanchanburi and the GPS brought me through the rural roads without problems.
How good is Hua Hin, an overnighter went to 5 days!

Hua Hin;271897 wrote: Thanks zona.

We are going to launch tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Aug 13, 2007
Thailand
Made it to Kamphang Phet yesterday. Uthai Thani and Nakhon Sawan were a mess. Ended up with the bikes on tractor/trailer twice to get through the flooding. I think we were lucky to make it at all. Kamphang Phet to Chiang Mai was no problem.

Gary D

Apr 17, 2010
I am in Mae Saring tonight after a most adventerous and do not recommend to anyone to ride Mae Sot to here.
If the body allows i plan to start to ride the MHS clockwise from here tomorrow so maybe we will meet up somewhere.

Gary
Hua Hin;271968 wrote: Made it to Kamphang Phet yesterday. Uthai Thani and Nakhon Sawan were a mess. Ended up with the bikes on tractor/trailer twice to get through the flooding. I think we were lucky to make it at all. Kamphang Phet to Chiang Mai was no problem.

Aug 13, 2007
Thailand
We are taking a break in Chiang Mai today. One other guy arriving this afternoon then we will launch to Pai/MHS tomorrow.

Gary D

Apr 17, 2010
I am in MHS tonight staying at the Piya Guesthouse which is not too bad value near the town lake . Had a great day, got very wet a few times, good sweeping corners, gate crashed a funeral at a Temple where i was welcomed and fed and photographed and exchanged contact details.

The best experience is not to go hard, stop and talk to people and enjoy the moment. Good massage place in main street lol.

I plan to be in Pai tomorrow night.

Hua Hin;271980 wrote: We are taking a break in Chiang Mai today. One other guy arriving this afternoon then we will launch to Pai/MHS tomorrow.

Aug 13, 2007
Thailand
How bad was the road to Mae Sot?

We will need to get back to Hua Hin at some point and don't want to go through Nakhon Sawan.

Stayed at Ban Farang in Khun Yuam the other night. Looks recently renovated. Nice rooms and great hospitality.

Sent you a PM with my number.