Immigration and visa crackdown !!! any one having any problems ???

Oct 17, 2006
I am having problems ,, renewing my marriage visa NON O Imm ,, yes i can get a retiement being over 50 but as I travel in /out 5-7 times a year for my work and business on short notice its not a sensible , convienient , or even workable option , I have used my Marriage and substantial thai bank balance in the past to have a 1 year multi entry NON Immm O visa but this year have recently been refused renewal even with more than required amounts in Thai banks and an 18+ year marriage , and a child in high school ....etc etc

the reason I was rejected ... i dont have regular monthly income ,,of 40,000 baht OK I said but i have 6m+ baht in Thai savings , shares and banks so thats OK ,, but they said but we want to see your income per month,,,,,,,er.... i earn 3-4m a year working offshore and from investements around the world but its only paid during the 4-5 months I actually work ,,,they said thats not good enough we need to see monthly payments from a company or governement ??????!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!

This nonsense is a serious issue if it persists ,,,,this week i am here on a tourist 30 day waiver no problem as I am of to work again late next week ,,,but ????

I will apply again in October in UK but word has it that they are also making problems for same visa

tell us your problems as well ,, its definitely the end for the back to back tourist visa runners ....but I have been here for many years witha family and properties etc , and from what i hear around the web and from other offshore guys I am not the only one affected ..

Jul 28, 2008
Is this for extending your visa from within Thailand or a new visa at a consulate/embassy outside Thailand?

Nov 12, 2013
First I've heard of the Marriage Visa being targetted.......about to fly down to Brissie to get my first Non O Marriage visa next week....hopefully things will have stabilised by the time I go to renew it.....feel your pain.
Crazy things happening in Thailand now re visas......

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
I have a multiple entry retirement visa. 800k in the bank and a letter of income. That's all.
Can come an go as I like.

Oct 17, 2006
I was refused renewal of Non O multi iby Thai embassy and consulates in Uk on the grounds explained in my post last month and they wont renew it in thailand without an existing NON O its a catch 22 ,,,

cant open a UK company as it would bugger my tax situation as an expat and would cause other bureaucractic headaches ,,, and whats more silly is that the amounts of money I have in thai banks easily passes the 400k for O visa or 800k for retirement,,
unfortunately a retirement visa is really not an option at present as organising one takes too long and my short notice working and frequent absence prevents that option .

the old Non O visa I had ran out and due to my work offshore and travel arrangements i was unable to renew it in time before it ran out ,
, going back offshore next week , I work for many different companies and agencies which also seems to confuse Immigration officials .

will try again next time in UK ..

What makes the whole situation even more farcical is that My daughter is now training with the Thai national show jumping and eventing team and is likely to represent thailand in a couple of years time , Her training manager and sponsor is a senior army officer in the cavalry and he is livid at how the idiots in immigration are messing up the rules ,One of my brother in laws is a senior board member of PTT and he is fuming at the hassles i am having , i have told them not to interfere at present as it may sort itself out. They both have political connections and can confirm that there is concern about some abuse of marriage and business visas by non desirables , which is on top of the crackdown on abuse of tourist visas which is likely to create more problems and confusion over the next few months .

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
Monsterman, you've got to get a single 3 month Non 'O' from UK or wherever and then on returning to Thailand get a retirement extension on this Visa as soon as you can. Don't listen to the Agent's , . The retirement extension of the Visa is usually Issued on the Spot, unlike the marriage Visa. you'll be in and out in an Hour. If you've got 800K in a Thai bank and it hasn't dropped below 800K in the 2 months before you apply you shouldn't have problems. When you get your extension get a Multi-entry 're-entry' permit at the same time, then you can come and go as you please for 1 year.

If you let the extension lapse you have to go through the same crap again, they treat you as a first time applicant. it's just not worth all the hastle.

Aug 7, 2003
I had no problem organising a one year extension based on retirement , also did Non - O visas. Working offshore and on 24 call out. Maybe just talk to the Thai immigration people and ask them what they suggest, at one time I had to leave in a hurry while the app was in progress and Immigration suggested a legal way around it. If you have, like you say over the required funds it should be no problem, just don't listen to people who may not know the exact situation, contary to public opinion I have found some immigration people very helpful, although not all of them. And as FL says all the discussion under the sun about current visa situation on Thai Visa forum.

Mar 30, 2010
harrythefinn;300633 wrote: I had no problem organising a one year extension based on retirement , also did Non - O visas. Working offshore and on 24 call out. Maybe just talk to the Thai immigration people and ask them what they suggest, at one time I had to leave in a hurry while the app was in progress and Immigration suggested a legal way around it. If you have, like you say over the required funds it should be no problem, just don't listen to people who may not know the exact situation, contary to public opinion I have found some immigration people very helpful, although not all of them. And as FL says all the discussion under the sun about current visa situation on Thai Visa forum.
Have to agree with Harry.. Except for Bangkok Airport..
Thai immigration are usually very helpful.. Never a serious complaint.
- Incompetence due to lack of knowledge by juniors is different.
- over worked at the land crossing and get the wrong stamp.

Went for work permit renewal.. my passport was in bad shape from a thunderstorm.. barely see my picture.
At 320 AUD.. i was not in a rush to renew my 60 page Aussie passport and tried it on.
The head lady at the one stop shop looked.. and said. Mai Lor (Not handsome).. Please have a new picture next year.

Other things like the above..

As for Thai visa.. never look there.. bunch of W@nkers..
End up more confused than you started out.. May be that is why you are posting here :)

Cheers
Brian

Dec 27, 2007
Ya know there are numerous law firms in the Kingdom that have the connections to simply sell you a one year multiple entry non-O or non-B visa. You don't even have to leave Thailand or set foot in an immigration office. PM me if you'd like some referrals.

Oct 20, 2012
Just been to Savannaket with a four days over stay
not a problem 3rd visa trip
Done the whole thing as per normal

Oct 17, 2006
I have had a lots of good Tips and advice ,, The problem originated getting a nrw Multi entry in June in UK when they refused me the visa on income gronds ... totally ridiculous as I cover all requirements ,, will try agaiin after next work trip when I am in EU and riding my bikes on a lonfg tour ..wont be back to Thailand until October? novemeber,, i am sure if i can get the multi I willOK once here ,,

Its been a hell of a year very little time for fun and biking due to work and family commitmrnts especially the cost of my daughter Horse riding now she is training with Thai national team ,, up to 100k per moth but she is soaring high and also doing well with her education so i guess its worth it..

hs0zfe

Aug 31, 2009
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. Can it be that one dumb officer is causing this? Or that this is a way of "fishing for tea money"? Just wondering. Because it's clear that you are indeed netting >40,000 Baht a month any way one looks at it.

This is a schizophrenic situation. The new rules have shaken up the teachers - while the reality is ... http://www.thailandteaching.asia/staffroom/47783-hiring-past-present.html

Somehow, folks who cannot even get the required minimum TOEIC score of 600 get to work as "English teachers". And don't mention "degrees" from certain countries.

With all that going on, and folks teaching English who cannot even hold a conversation, they chose you to clamp down on?!?

Hire a lawyer, bring a Thai friend to do the talking. Something is very wrong IMHO. (Hint: a friend from a neighboring country was subjected to a shake down at Immigration. The accusation was he failed to report his address. well, the 2,000 Baht fine on the spot took care of it. Possibly, you are seen as a rich guy who wouldn't mind a small one-time contribution to the officer's retirement fund?)

A self-employed friend chose Malaysia. I wonder, why?

All these rules and regulations - and then there is the reality! Amazing Thailand!

hs0zfe

Aug 31, 2009
monsterman;300638 wrote: I have had a lots of good Tips and advice ,, The problem originated getting a nrw Multi entry in June in UK when they refused me the visa on income gronds ... totally ridiculous as I cover all requirements ,, will try agaiin after next work trip when I am in EU and riding my bikes on a lonfg tour ..wont be back to Thailand until October? novemeber,, i am sure if i can get the multi I willOK once here ,,

Its been a hell of a year very little time for fun and biking due to work and family commitmrnts especially the cost of my daughter Horse riding now she is training with Thai national team ,, up to 100k per moth but she is soaring high and also doing well with her education so i guess its worth it..
This is incredible! so you can prove spending say > 80,000 on your daughter's hobby.

Go set up a standing order for a monthly wire payment of 40,000 Baht. Your overdraft facility will cover it for the lean months. Hope this problem will go away.